serious post of the month :> TOA

K

Khefru

As said by a few ppl, lots of us have mp sets of armour and weapons, perfectly balanced out at enormous costs. New items, means farming that cash again, waiting for the crafter to make stuff (myself), waiting for the s/cer to do stuff, waiting for the alch to do stuff and lots of plat down the drain. Took me 4 days to find a s/cer to do 1 item last week.

I will try TOA, but seriously feel that after playing DAoC since beta, this add on will be the final thing that makes me quit. I really just can't face the farming again. Also, not sure I'm keen on the begging for help to do quests again.

C

cjkaceBM

All ToA does is gives everybody options.

No longer will you be able to roll a character, get pled to 50, get sced and then wtfpwn everything in sight. No longer can you mash 1 button, and then sit back thinking how great you rock the world.

Master levels + Artifacts + Frontiers = variance, something that this game has been sadly lacking for some time.

K

Khefru

Originally posted by cjkaceBM

Master levels + Artifacts + Frontiers = variance, something that this game has been sadly lacking for some time.
Unfortunately this will not be the case as has been proved b4. We all thought there was lots of variance in speccing options when DAoC first came out. Now if u don't have a certain spec and a cetain item your a gimp. The same wiill go for the TOA stuff when ppl suss out whats good and not so good.

M

Madkobold

Can't see how ToA could add any fun to DAOC..

ML's, Artifacts and such doesn't make the fighting more exciting and there are not one uique ML, artifact, all three realms got the same...

My guess it's just a huge timesink and when all are done with the lvl'ing of artifacts and gone through all the steps of the ML's we are back where we started. All three realms with the same abilities.

It's like with SC, if you and ur opponents got SC'ed gear....ur equal, so has it really made RvR funnier ?

ToA is like putting lipstick on a corps.....

What's even worse is that ToA will make it impossible to attract new players....think about it. Would you start playing a game where you know you have to invest 12 months of grinding in order to be able to compete in RVR ?

And all the ppl who got 3 or even more lvl 50's.....they will be forced to concentrate on 1 char (if they don't dedicate there entire youth to DAOC that is)

Won't buy it and if I can't compete without it, thats the end of DAOC for me.

O

old.Tijl

I like pve, but i'll sure start to dislike it if the degrade of items is as huge as in us currently, every month (lucky gues) a new suit because of this sux
i transfered 4 plat to start lvling etc on prydwen, cba to start there now

L

lofff

tbh even if i never liked pve i think toa might b good adding new variables to game as RAs did on their time, only problem is after 1-2 months it will unbalance even more the hardcore grps compared to the pick up ones, just wondering what will b toa's effect on excalibur.. 80% ppl in the US did run still with epic when 99% ppl in exca used alrdy their sced stuff:p

we will see

R

Rg.Roller

lol such whine.....

Be abit more open minded and just play the game, if u whine so much about "having" to PvE and not just being allowed to respawn -> pwn -> die -> respawn then...

fo back to cs........"team infitrate and eliminate!"

The fotm grps will stil prolly pwn in RvR, but the people who actually bother with the other side of daoc "might" be given a chance to compete with the pure RvR'rs. Is that such a crime?

Originally posted by Kagato.
Im dreading TOA

And thats before we even get onto the rediculous items theres going to be popping up which will spoil our perfectly and lovingly tailored SC templates all over again. So we'll end up having to pve all over again to fund new outfits.

SC ruined the game in my opinon, giving everyone the easy mode to cap out stats before that i think people didnt mind searching the lands to find a variety of items to try and cap out as much as they could. Personally im bored of knowing that when i meet a player hes either going to have some SI epic dungeon stuff/Spell crafted or just epic set. I want abit more of a random feel, would atleast make the game alot more fun to play. On a futher point i always believe that soloing is possiable in any game, its just knowing your limitations.

I

ian_heaps

Personally, I think that within a few months the hardcore guilds and players with have the ML's and artifactes, etc and will go back to RvR. Where they will have the advantage over the occasional RvR player (more so than now). Mythic are scared of the high lvl RvR's will get bored, so they are adding new stuff to RvR to make the elite more elite, so keeping them happy and interested.

PvE will be more interesting for a while, until everyone gets bored of the new stuff. In my opinion, one of the reason PvE is boring is the fact that peeps want safe repetive xp, no risks no death. Personally I don't mind dying a few times a session if the xping is fun and interesting.

In the end I think if Mythic carry on the way they are, they will create such a large divide between PvE players and RvR players that it will be come to large to close.

P

Puppetmistress

TOA means in the end making choices: Do I want the capped resists, stats, hp, skills or do I want an additional hp bonus, more WS but less defense etc.

Thats the, in my eyes, great part of TOA. Its silly every warrior out there has EXACTLY the same suit.

The downside is probably gonna be for the non-hardcore players who finally dinged 50, gotten some RR and a decent suite. They're gonna lack HARD versus the dudes with all the artifacts and ML goodies.

Also dont forget people complaining alot about silly stuff.
But: Isnt it silly a fg PBAE'ers can own 6fg ?

Im gonna see and watch for myselves. If I think its too stupid to play anymore I quit, otherwise I stay around for a while :)

S

silverblast

Originally posted by rg-zorena
How many think toa is just crap and really is dreading it because you know you have to pve to stay ontop rvr to get mls and artifacts etc, and how many are thinking its great because you can quest alot.
(Im sure this is gonna be abit biased cus im posting in rvr forums.)
I really don't know much about toa, so I can't say, but imo everything in it will get nerfed or boosted somehow =p.

S

sheph

ToA will probably bring a lot of fun to all of us. New fun things to do with our friends.

Its only a change of the environment. These changes happen in all games who live on for a long time with a big player basis.

K

Kallio

Originally posted by sheph
ToA will probably bring a lot of fun to all of us. New fun things to do with our friends.

Its only a change of the environment. These changes happen in all games who live on for a long time with a big player basis.

yes... but there can be bad expansions... what did SI bring us when the game was about to be balanced? HI SAVAGES!

and then they´re having f*cking hard time balancing out again, as far as I can see they arent succeeding in it at all...

ToA can be fun, but it can inbalance the game even more.

S

sheph

Originally posted by Kallio
yes... but there can be bad expansions... what did SI bring us when the game was about to be balanced? HI SAVAGES!

and then they´re having f*cking hard time balancing out again, as far as I can see they arent succeeding in it at all...

ToA can be fun, but it can inbalance the game even more.

This game is by definition unbalanced since not all realms have the exact same classes/abilities.

This can never be adjusted to be perfect.

D

dakeyras

Originally posted by Khefru
As said by a few ppl, lots of us have mp sets of armour and weapons, perfectly balanced out at enormous costs. New items, means farming that cash again, waiting for the crafter to make stuff (myself), waiting for the s/cer to do stuff, waiting for the alch to do stuff and lots of plat down the drain. Took me 4 days to find a s/cer to do 1 item last week.

Don't think you'll find many players running around in MP sc'd gear with everything capped after a few weeks of ToA.

Firstly, there is too much to cap and more template options. Secondly, the impact of the new decay/repair rates will be huge.

Roughly 1.5 hours of heavy RvR = 1% dur loss on MP items.

If an item starts at 130% dur then that ain't long until it is broken.

Players who want to spent most of their time in RvR will have to compromise as to setup as they simply won't be able to farm the cash needed to replace an MP rig every month.

Nice decision by Mythic imo. Just one of many aimed at levelling the playing field. At least they see the problems.

E

elerand

In TOA artifacts and ML's don't come easy, scrolls are hard to get and doing ML's requires a lot of co-operation.

Some of the ML abilities look good on paper, some are excellent, some are dire and many of them are on the same timers as other abilities, so you need to pick and choose carefully.

I don't think it's a case of everyone with ML 9 is some kind of god, with his artifacts and new abilities, the combination of bonuses and abilities means making some choices. A full SC suit as it stands now is a sound choice now and post TOA, it covers everything that's basically important. With new items you have to sacrifice something to get something, so no more capped everything plus new goodies.

Have to say that those who are the least happy with TOA are the heavy RVR players from what I can see, they don't want to make the investment of time to get all the new stuff, it's way easier to pl to 50 and farm cash for SC as has already been said and I can't see ML9+all artifacts coming to the hardcore players within a month!

I think there is something for everyone in TOA, yes it's a timesink, it's sound business sense for any company to keep/get players, some will leave because you can't please everyone, I think many will stay.
Even Talivar will be encouraged to go PvE, admittedly for shiny new items no doubt :p

I'm personally looking forward to disguising my VW as a Spearo with spear of kings and some of the less cloth-like cloth drops :D

D

dakeyras

Originally posted by ian_heaps
Mythic are scared of the high lvl RvR's will get bored

Do you think Mythic are more scared of the few high levels getting bored...or more scared of the bulk of the playerbase getting fed up?

C

cjkaceBM

I really don't get this RAs/SC ruined the game argument.

DAoC as it stands is a varied and balanced game, that combines PvE and PvP in a great way. What screws it up isn't whether you have capped stats, an uber drop or all the best RAs. Peoples attitudes screw it up. The "I want to wtfpwn everything in sight cos I have a small penis" attitude, which makes people create the FOTM class cos they quite simply can't function without being able to destroy everything in sight.

ToA gives options to those that don't have that attitude. At the moment you need RAs to compete, but can't get those said RAs because you aren't competitive. Now you can PvE to your hearts content and get items and master levels that make up for your lack of RAs.

Between ToA, Frontiers, the style review and the realm ability review there will be lots of options to choose from whether you focus on RVR or PVE.

G

Gordonax

Originally posted by Kallio

On the PvE side, it made it much better - at least in Alb. The new lands are much more interesting to explore and play in than the old ones.

J

jox

GIVE TOA NOW, I WANNA HUNT OGRE GUARDIANS IN DF!!!!!

O

old.Talivar

Same with TOA,new areas are more fun to explore and xp in and master levels is more like lots of various quests as opposed to just killing same mobs :)

G

Gray-CF

Originally posted by cjkaceBM

No longer will you be able to roll a character, get pled to 50, get sced and then wtfpwn everything in sight. No longer can you mash 1 button, and then sit back thinking how great you rock the world.

totaly agree m8 :)

G

Gordonax

Originally posted by Gray-CF
totaly agree m8 :)

Nice opinion: care to tell us why? :D

Personally I think it looks cool - more things to do, more places to explore, more things to think about in RvR, more whining from the Counter-Strikers (which is always funneh). What's not to like? :D

C

censi

i totally agree with cjkace to.

I cant believe people are moaning about an expansion to the game that gives new items and zones and mobs and master levels. Fook me if you dont like the sound of it dont buy it.

The game has certainly been better off from SI release. This will just be a extension of that.

I luv the idea of having to really work hard to get an advantage over people. If should always be those that put a large amount of effort into seeking equipement get an advantage over an opponent from that equipement. at the moment theres virtually no difference between LW Hero X and LW Hero Y.

Master levels give added life to characters and new abilities that can turn the tide of battle and enchance your character.

Artifacts look really cool even though the effort required to level the buggers is huge.

the new lands look good.

Im looking forward to TOA big time. Its only the lazy gimps that like loggin on joining there GG and running round emain looking for RP all night that wont like this patch. And tbh the game is better off without people like that anyway.

im especially looking forward to my character having to traing things again and level up equipement.

C

censi

I really don't get this RAs/SC ruined the game argument.

disagree with the SC part though.

an online game is supposed to pull you into your character and make you want to progress him to the maximum of his capabilities.. or as developers call it.... "Reward over time"

DAOC screwed up here cuz basically you could roll a charcater and get PL'd to 50, get 5 plat on the way for you 99% SC, Cap all stats and hit the battlefield in the space of about 4 days.

Online games aim to make the time from the creation of a character to the perfection of one a long process (3-6 months at least). TOA will restore this ethos well.

M

Melachi-

TOA simply gives the powergamers more power.
Every game is dominated by powergamers but DAoC will be nuts now with TOA.

As someone mentioned, its gonna take an age for new players to get an even playing field.

I bet in due time people will have sussed all the best artifact, master levels combinations and again everything will be cookiecutter.

Basically its the same thing over again, just another neccesity to have fun! in a game.

E

excs

Quote: Mythic has a nice expansion in Trials of Atlantis, but it's kind of like having a broken leg and instead of the doctor fixing your broken leg, he hands you a new set of track shoes. End Quote

Cant Agree more and I would only add: "Unbalanced" to this quote.

Users who are viewing this thread