Selfish Cabs

E

Exinferis

Originally posted by Belomar
This is quite easily debunked by reclaiming your different pets and seeing the result. I get 146 power back from my amber pet at level 50, all my other pets give less power than this. I would attribute this to the con buff the amber pet casts on itself.

hmm how much spirit you got?

with 12+12 spirit i get 174 i think back

B

Belomar

I'm a cookie cutter 46m/28b/4s matter Cabalist, and proud of it. :p I think that my spirit is something like 4 + 10, this gives me 149 power back (wrong number above, I checked).

Oh, and now that I am a Cabalist myself, writing a poem should not be so difficult, should it? I'll try to do it when I am feeling... lyric. ;)

W

-Wedge-

Ever thought about the fact that power returned is not greater with a higher spirit staff... (I tested this with my friends cabby)

My guess... Its the power that it takes for you to cast your pet... With a spirit staff thats lower, but the amount of power you gain back stays the same... The difference (cost vs return) is the power you get...

Without a spirit staff, cost == return and thus you gain no power... (even with 50 in spirit)

A higher spirit staff helps, when you are casting a higher level pet (saphire for example vs Amber) ...

O

old.Ramas

Couple of things...

Reclaiming power is most efficient from the amber sim because he has more HPs *before* his self CON buff. As others have said, CON only affects absorbtion and spell resistance.

Sprit spec and spirit focus will affect the cost of the reclaim and summon spells (which you otherwise have to subtract from power reclaimed). From testing around the respec I didn't see any effect from sprit spec on power reclaimed - and I'd also take this to mean that sim HPs aren't affected by sprirt spec - which shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

As for specs...

Having got as far as I have, and since we now have a single respec at 40, I'd seriously consider going spirit rather than matter for levelling to 40.

This would give you efficient pet healing and buffed pet that can solo well chosen oranges without downtime all the way up, plus you'll still have baseline debuffs (although not nearsight) to pull without aggro.

At 40 I'd respec to matter and aim for 46m, 23s, 15b.

This gives you best aoe dot & nearsight, the first aoe disease (which is the same strength as later disease but with smaller radius), and buffs which make your pet equivalent to a solid yellow mob.

T

Tilda

but with spirit spec to 40 you bring absolustly nothing to a group.
As most groups wont want you to use your pet because it takes xp.
All you may bring is youf 40% BREAKABLE snare. this is useless because it slows things from a run to a slow jog.

In short dont spec spirit past the pet reclaim spell.

Tilda

B

bobbins

As a sorc I have to say there is nothing wrong with using a pet in groups. They pinch very little xp and can make cc’ing purps a walk in the park.

Events as they unfold without a pet.

Group pulls
In come the mobs.
Sorc or mistral tries to mezz. Resist.
Mob Aggros the sorc.
Tanks hit the add to save the sorc
Cleric heals the sorc for loads
Cleric gets the aggro
Cleric dies
Group dies

With a pet

Group pulls
In come the mobs
Pet on adds
Pet on passive/stay
Sorc mezzes. Resist
Sorc Remezzes. Mezzed
All live all get xp. Every one happy

Group our fellow mages even if they did take the dark side ;)

A

Apathy

It's not the selfish cabs at tanglers I mind (Hey, go for it. But don't cry when I out-pull you.) but the stupid ones.

The ones who clearly just don't have the hang of it yet. The ones who drag their pulls trailing through other peoples' pulls so that anyone AoEing gets additional stress and adds. The ones who expect a rez and who scream "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE ME!!!!".

a.

B

Belomar

Originally posted by Tilda
but with spirit spec to 40 you bring absolustly nothing to a group.
As most groups wont want you to use your pet because it takes xp.
All you may bring is youf 40% BREAKABLE snare. this is useless because it slows things from a run to a slow jog.

In short dont spec spirit past the pet reclaim spell.
This kind of reasoning is what breeds the boring cookie cutters we see all around (and yes, I am one too :p). I say, more power to the people who decide to go unique ways with their characters! Spirit spec is very viable if you want to solo (which I did 95% of the time with my Cabalist).

O

old.LandShark

if you want to PvE solo and never go closer to RvR than Cotswold.

T

Tilda

in RvR Spirit is about as effective as trying to talk to a Troll and ask him for some help with your knitting.
You may as well go and try and melee down a hero with your staff if you think that Spirit will be any more effective in RvR.

Tilda

B

Belomar

I would agree with both of these statements. However, I am sure there are people who would like this approach, and I sincerely applaud them for their courage.

If I was a spirit cabalist, I'd get Long Wind 5 and Mastery of Water to make all those fast getaways as quick as possible while my uber pet chews up the enemy. ;) Would still be extremely hard, tho!

T

Tilda

id get the one where my pet crits a lot :)

Tilda

E

Exinferis

lol belth, sad but true :p'

a spirit cabalists role in RvR would be a debuffer and let pet do the most of the work, proberly pisshard, but who cares =P

-50% body resist will surely make your baseline nukes rather good to?

A

Apathy

You know, I think we need MORE Cabalist threads.

a.

T

Tilda

lol apathy, :)
why did you log btw, after you left we made group more uber and Pwned Llaw :)

:wub:
Tilda

E

Exinferis

Originally posted by ApathyEndymion
You know, I think we need MORE Cabalist threads.

a.

you know, i would more like a own section on BW forum dedicated to cabalists :clap:

T

Tilda

yeahh

<chants> cabalist section <chants>

:D

Tilda

E

Exinferis

stop posting so fast after me tilda, you scare me :(

and change avatar! :p

B

Belomar

Originally posted by Exinferis
and change avatar! :p
And now she also has "Elfslayer" as her last name! What's this anyway, Tilda, hrm, cabalist penis envy? ;)

If all this continues, I'm getting the sprint icon as an avatar. It's what I do anyway, both with my minstrel and my cabalist... ;)

O

old.Ramas

Tilda wrote...

but with spirit spec to 40 you bring absolutly nothing to a group.

Well this true, but unless you go full body for reduced strength nuking, *nothing* on a cabalist brings anything to a group that can't be got *much* better elsewhere.

Spirit would have been, as far as I tell, the best way to solo to 40 available though.

in RvR Spirit is about as effective as trying to talk to a Troll and ask him for some help with your knitting.

Well yes, but this is why you respec matter at 40.

Also, at I'd add that if you use the pet in the right way (basically fully buffed and against stealthers or casters who look like they are about to run off) then it can be surprisingly effective at taking players out of the game. The pets seeing through stealth thing still surprises some people :) . I've only used in the BG - where numbers are thiner and it's not like real RvR blah blah blah, but the comments across the US boards seem to back me up on that.

damn right.

B

bahamuts

the pet on hidden works just as good in real rvr, did it the first day I tried :)

O

old.Elfslayer

And now she also has "Elfslayer" as her last name! What's this anyway, Tilda, hrm, cabalist penis envy? ;)

If all this continues, I'm getting the sprint icon as an avatar. It's what I do anyway, both with my minstrel and my cabalist... ;)

who are u calling a penis ? ;)

T

Tilda

ok i dont Quite understand that Belomar.

Elfslayer is a fairly common last name.
It is by no means a copy of Elfslayer (the Cabalist)

Tilda

A

Apathy

I had to log to watch The Sopranos.

Besides, our encounter with Llaw was a pain in the ass; have you ever noticed how they just CHARGE at us and win about half the time? I think I managed to mezz some people but 2s later I was nuked for 1200 by Nuclear and died. Pfft.

Anyway, I will be on tonight. :D

My cabalist sucks, as it happens. Level 26 is gay! I'll have to PL myself to a decent lvl.

Cabalists bring LOTS to a group... if they have a lvl 50 sorcerer on another account.

lvl 23 cabalist : Hi, can I join your tangler group?
lvl 40 whatever : You're too low. And you are a CABALIST! HAHA!
lvl 23 cabalist : I can bring a lvl 50 sorcerer to mezz them.
lvl 40 whatever : HURRY! HURRRRY!

a.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Better to be the Kylie Minogue of Sorcerors than the Gary Glitter of Lurikeens ;p

E

Exinferis

rofl :D

<goes off to change his avatar>

T

Tilda

apathy after you logged we pwned Llaw :)
Belomar i still dont uderstand that :(

Tilda

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom