Secret tunnels under Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
All you need is a rope :) I think thats what they did. They're acting as though it took ages to work out, but personally I think they just came down on a rope, through the hole in the picture above, and had a look around that way.

Then you invent a story of 'how difficult and secret it was'. Bollocks.

I think we should go Tom!!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lol, that surely is one well protected underground area! I bet there's not a bird in sight!

May be some bats though ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
there's lots of interesting stuff on there about the mechanics institute and the locarno in swindon. i'd love to do some exploring like that...

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
They opened up a cold war nuclear bomb shelter and command centre in York last year that no one knew was there, no civilians I mean. It's obvious what it is now that you know, but most people assumed it was something to do with the waterworks or electric company etc, never seeing inside it. It's semi open to the public, you have to make an appointment to go and see it in small groups. I sent them an email a while back to see if I could look inside, I forgot all about it until I saw this thread.

There's supposed to be a load of old tunnels under York too that my friends and I mean to seek out one day. I think some of the banks and offices used to use part of them to move money around and stuff. I think there's a load of similar catacombs/tunnels under Paris and Rome too.

There is also tunnel from the main post office in York to the railway station that they still use for transporting mail from the trains and back, I have been in that on a PO tour when I was a kid.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just been told that Vault 13 can be found under Piccadlly Gardens in Manchester but all the occupants died of dehydration because thier water recycling processor had broken down and was never replaced!

War. War never changes. :D :p ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
Oxford has a lot of tunnels underneath it, the Bodlean library has its collection mostly underground.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Interesting finds and a good thread. Not normally my cup of tea, but it does strike a sense of wonder and curiousity about the subject.

I spent a little while looking into the series of tunnels and walkways underneath Northampton that served as secretive transportation dating back to the medievals times, maybe previous - linking various parts of what was Northampton Castle, churches, church cellars etc in case of attacks or the other sort of bible bashing ;) These tunnels are however much less secretive.

local rumor has it that there is a tunnel that leads from somewhere in hardingstone to the where the castle used to be (now near the train station) dont know if its true or not

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
you can be sure that i will. i just hope it's not secretly guarded by alsatians or something :(

I wouldn't worry about security, most in use RAF bases don't have very good security.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Raven : I've heard that one too. The castle itself has been a source of interest for me ever since I managed a property just outside of town centre (Thenford Street) and we found that during renovation, one of the cellar walls was an original castle wall. I have no idea it was that large.

Still makes me laugh today, the little fact that without Northampton University (how it used to be) there'd be no Oxford or Cambridge!

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Added a load of pics today:

Manchester Cathedral Steps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd keep my eye on that thread (if I weren't banned from it), as they say they've a load more images ready to post this weekend.

Tom did you ever here of any rumours of an underground network of tunnels covering the entire NW. My Grandad used to work for the ROF (Royal Ordanance Factory) just after WWII and he was led to beleive that there was a network of tunnels and canals underground connecting a lot of the major cities to transport Ordanance securely in war time. Around the '50's a lot of these tunnels were being closed down.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I doubt they exist. Perhaps smal local networks but nothing major. For instance the Bridgewater canal at Worsley has several miles of underground canal that are currently closed off for safety reasons. Its like the strategic steam/rail reserve, a bit of an urban myth by all accounts :)

Theres also a munitions dump along the A580/M62, here:

Google Maps

Theres also RAF Burtonwood near me, but I think its long gone now.

Gray

FH is my second home
About 2-3 weeks ago there was a report about that 28 Weeks Later website, because someone scaled the Bridge which is local to me [The Widnes/Runcorn Bridge - Aka Silver Jubilee

The pictures which they made were on here and they got slated and everything :p

Fairly decent pictures, if not slightly dangerous! Had a few jumpers off the bridge the past year or so

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The best thread ever is back! :D They got some lovely pics off that bridge in Runcorn but just looking at them gives me vertigo. The crazy bastards climbed it on a damp night as well, I would be terrified of losing my footing and ending up in the river or even worse on the roadway 150ft below! :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nah, they would have been wearing harnesses and lanyards attached to the bridge, no way to fall off :)

Amazingly, they've unbanned me from their site. They must have picked their toys up and put them back into the pram. I'll just keep my eye on any other Manchester stuff, and spoil their secrets :)

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
That or it was a temp ban in the first place ;)

Missed this thread first time round, bizarrely incredible the places we build and abandon 0-o

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Every time I visit that forum I lose hours at a time. :)

The one.

Fledgling Freddie
I sometimes read through 28dayslater, as do some of you in this thread.

Now, i have read through all of the comments, "spitting dummies" and "throwing toys out of the pram" etc. The only people throwing dummies are you! The Vanity in some of the comments is unreal, especially the film maker.

Lets get some things straight, urban exploration is a concept which obviously you don't understand. People seem to expect to recieve access details, i cant believe the vanity. The reason people dont recieve access is because, one, who are you? someone out just to do damage? security? police?

These sites are our history, and need to be protected, not dished out infront of shallow tv screen viewers, and lost ever more.

This wasnt directed at all of you, just blatant fucking idiots, 'spitting dummies' because they arnt allowed a toy.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
And registering on a forum for the sake of trolling is a great idea!

I think there's only one idiot in this thread, wonder who it is?

mank!

Part of the furniture
did you register just to post that?

if so, you're a cock.

good day sir!

The one.

Fledgling Freddie
I dont see the idiocy in making my point, like i said your shallow. Oh and i have read the rules, and there is nothing to be moaned at. I signed up to make a comment, why does enrage you? other than, you cant think of a decent explination answer to my post.

The one.

Fledgling Freddie
im afriad, your the cock here. Thank fuck i will never read this pathetic forum again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom