SCSI Drive

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

I have an old 9GB IBM SCSI HDD which I am trying to add to my old machine to give my daughter some added storage space.

If I add in the PCI Adaptec AHA-2940AU OEM Controler card, windows boots up and everything is ok

When I plug in the HDD, the pc blue screens before it gets to windows.

anything I can try before binning?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
yeah - i shot the fecker earlier :|

seriously - there is a terminating block on the end of the cable.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
does the drive have it's scsi-id set?

is that the one I traded you for some books btw? ;)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
:mad:

yes teedles - this is the same one we traded - only now getting round to fitting it in.

If I knew what u meant by setting the SCSI-ID then I would have an answer for u :)

TdC

well, my 2940 has a BIOS that I can get into via ctrl-A at boot. in that there are menus where I can manipulate the drives and do stuff like low-level formatting et al. you're best to try that mate, or boot off a floppy or cdrom with enough drivers to access the drive and format it.

it's come out of an old unix server, so there are good odds that windows can't deal with the filesystem on it, though a BSOD seems a bit ott imo. it should work tbh.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
well, I did make some progress last night :

managed to get into the SCSI BIOS and did a low level format.

Now, with the controller AND the HDD connected, it boots to Windows WITHOUT bluescreening.

Unfortunately, the drive isnt recognised in Windows Explorer.

There are jumpers on the TOP of the HDD itself - should these be set to anything specific?

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Have you gone into drive management and assigned a drive letter? (right click My Computer and then select Manage)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
I didnt check it before I gave up last night in My Computer (when I had checked it previously, there was nothing there)

I can try again tonite.

heres the jumpers on the back of the disk - do these need to be set to anything specific ?

http://www.asur61.dsl.pipex.com/ibm-back.jpg

TdC

nah mate: if it's the only drive in the loop then all will be well. methinks WPKenny has the right of it. scsi != plug and play toys. go into your doze disk manager thing and format the drive to ntfs, appoint a drive letter and bob's your uncle :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
i havent got an Uncle Bob.

Got and Auntie Bob tho.

Cheers guys - will try later tonight - when I am also plugging in me shiny new SATA 250GB drive :)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Dont forget to grab the appropriate drivers for your card just in case either the card isnt detected by windows, or the windows drivers are a bit dodgy with certain command sets.

i think the 2940 range need the appropriate drivers from the adaptec site for them to function within windows XP

dont forget the earplugs ;)

TdC

they're not actually that loud. I've got three in my webserver, and while I can hear them it's not that I want to rip out my eyes and shove them in my ears. the server's pretty well padded though :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
yup - updated the adaptec drivers last night (XP defaults to a DC347 controler)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
yup - up and running.

Trying to make it the boot drive and the other IDE drive the "data" drive. Windows doesnt really like that tho :(

TdC

heheh you may beed a reinstall there mate, and remember to go into the mobo's bios and swap the boot order about (it's usually something like floppydrive/ide hdd/cdrom)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
sure - ive got it booting ok - just trying to change all the pointers to the D:\ drive for documents etc so I dont run outta space

TdC

erk!! rather you than me :) I;ve done that once and it sucked :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom