Scout slash/ thrust

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
OK, ive rolled a scout and spec'd him 40 bow, 42 shield and 35 stealth, however, im now unsure whether thrust or slash is the best option.

Im a briton (jus' cus i didnt wanna be a saracen :) ) and now im unsure whether slash or thrust is the best option.

I was also told that slash is gimped in some way, something to do with bow. Im not sure if this is entirely correct or just a rumour. Anyway, if anyone could advise me on the best option, would be most grateful.

From also looking at the dmg tables, thrust seem better, but still unsure :(

Cheers

swifteagle

Fledgling Freddie
As a briton slash scout you'll do ok,saracen is probably the best for thrust because of the high dex.
Bow doesnt gimp your melee exactly but if you are a bow/melee scout it will to the extent that you wont be great at either,compared to the other 2 archer classes scouts are the worst for melee,rangers with dual wield will eat you alive as they cut your shield defence in half and hunters way outdamage you with their spear damage but are more likely to be blocked.

With thrust you will have a slightly higher weaponskill and therefore higher damage cap and more likely to land a hit but slash has slightly better styles as far as anytime styles go anyway.

Slash is slightly better in that hunters and SBs are slash weak so you'll do a bit more against those but its all swings and roundabouts and dont expect to be doing massive damage with a scout in melee purely because they are 1 handed and on the gimped defensive damage table because of the shield.

It will probably come down to which styles you'll prefer so might be a case of trying them both, if your rich and can afford the respec stones for that ;)

uron

Loyal Freddie
wtf y nt inconnu :)
i have tried both out, i prefer slash but ive also seen ppl who do very well with slash....
i like thrust becasuse of the block reactionary has a stun in which i cn get off 2 side styles which do a ok bit of dmg! although u prob wont b high enough thrust to get tht with ur spec...
with slash u get malice which is a nice bonus aswell..

but remember slash is based purly on str, whereas thrust will benefit frm the dex u will hve to get ur bow dmg up..
Up to u tbh :drink:

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
Aside from the Armour table differences from the other 2 realms, id personally go Slash as the Styles are a lot more friendlier. But its down to personal choice, as for going inconnu, they look cool but why would u want them 10 points of int wasted, and the fact connu have 50 base quick, u want high quick for bow firing spd :)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Beovulf said:
I was also told that slash is gimped in some way, something to do with bow. Im not sure if this is entirely correct or just a rumour. Anyway, if anyone could advise me on the best option, would be most grateful.

Slash is 100% str
Thrust is 50% str, 50% dex
Bow is 100% dex

The way slash might be considered gimped for a bow user is because all the points you put into dex get semi-wasted when you swap to your weapon, while all the points in str get wasted when you swap to your bow.

The choice comes down to 4 things.

What stats you will have in str and dex with your final template.
What styles you'll have available to you.
Enemy resistances.
What weapon choices you have.

The first one is going to benefit thrust, since you will want capped dex for filling people with arrows. This means your weaponskill will be higher going thrust. You'll probably want to come as close to capping str anyway even if you go thrust, so in a good template this isn't really an issue.

The second one is more tricky.. slash gives you the spamethist style but thrust has some nice styles as well. Probably about even here.

The third one probably isn't that important.. No matter what you pick you'll end up with somethings you have an advantage to and some things you don't, and using legendaries can negate that anyway.

The fourth one is the biggy. Both have access to traitors dagger, which is a fantastic weapon. Slash gives you the joys of using malice however and it's probably for this one reason alone that i'd say go slash. It's a slight pity that all spec choices for melee chars these days tend to come down to "Can I use Malice" but it's just way too good to give up, and nothing thrust gives you really makes up for losing it.

gohan

FH is my second home
imo slash is better for this simple reason

thrust anytime = taunt = high defensive penalty = almsot no chance o blocking/evadeind next hit

slash any time = amythest (higher growth rate than taunt an NO penaltys)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
gohan said:
imo slash is better for this simple reason

thrust anytime = taunt = high defensive penalty = almsot no chance o blocking/evadeind next hit

slash any time = amythest (higher growth rate than taunt an NO penaltys)

Ammy also has high to hit bonus. Check VN rogue for a comparative study on the anytimes for the two lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom