Scan.co.uk are RETARDS (in this poster's opinion, slander monkeys).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh. My. God.

I order an external firewire 300gb maxtor hd and a dsl504 modem/router from scan over christmas at some point. They were shut for 2 weeks over christmas so I wasn't surprised to have no reply or confirmation until last Friday. I realised on Saturday afternoon that I'd forgotten to order a firewire card so I sent them an email asking if it would be at all possible to add the card to the order.

I received a nice reply from Bob (an office monkey at scan, I presume) on Tuesday, saying that the firewire card was currently out of stock and did they want me to hold the order until the card became available. No, said I, please continue with the original order and forget I said anything about the firewire card. OK, I thought, I'll just run into town and get one at Jessops or somewhere.

I then receive an email about 30 minutes later saying, and I [quote]:
Further to your email, I can confirm the 300G Maxtor USB/FW B14D300 has been
removed from your order.

As a result a refund of £234.71 will be processed shortly.

Your order will now be despatched with the utmost urgency.

Kind regards,

Carrie
Scan Computers
"No!" I screamed. "What's going on?!" I screamed. So I replied again, telling them politely to stop being silly and just proceed with the original order as requested. No reply.

Now, anyone that's ordered from scan before will know that they send out 4 emails during the course of the order: #1 for confirmation, #2 for "we have your money suck0r!!", #3 for them picking the order and #4 for the dispatch confirmation. I received the first and second emails on the day of the confusion with the hard drive, and I didn't receive any emails after that. So I stupidly assumed that everything is fine and I'd get my hd and modem as soon as i received the 3rd and 4th emails.

I get back from work yesterday to see a little yellow card on the doormat from Initial City Link, telling me they tried to deliver earlier blah blah BLAH. I think "fuck" because it means a trek 10 miles out of town to pick it up from their depot. I go back to work for the night and set about staying awake to receive the order from city link today.

Sitting here, waiting for my shiny new modem and router to arrive, I have a sudden thought. So I ring scan:
"Does the hard drive come with a firewire cable?" I enquire feably. The lady (don't be Carrie, for your own good don't be Carrie) asks me for my order number (why? "Do you ship this model with a cable?" seems like a pretty straight forward question) and puts me on hold so she can find out. Some shatty musac and a couple of squealing modem tones later, the lady comes back and says "What hard drive? The only item on the order is a D-Link DSL504 modem/router."
Me: "There was some confusion a couple of days ago with a firewire card, but I was led to believe that the original order would be sent out." A slight lie, seeing as they never fuckin replied. "What am I supposed to do now, just order another one?"
Lady: "Yes... *silence*"
Me: "*silence*"
Lady: "*silence*"
Me: "Right." *hang up"

I haven't been that pissed off in a VERY long time (I'm thinking 10 years ago when my brother threw my fantastic lego creation against a wall). So after I hung up the phone I started writing this. I'm about to write scan a heated email and see how much they apologise. I never asked them to take the hard drive off the order in the first place, so it's their fuckup that it's not included with the order. It's that simple, isn't it..? :(

And to top it off, they haven't even processed my switch refund yet so I can't even fucking buy another one until payday.

I'm so annoyed! The phone call was about an hour ago and I'm still shaking with rage. I know my rage is amplified by the fact that I'm tired from working 17 hours yesterday and not really sleeping yet, but still... :(

I'm sorry for the excessive rant, I just sat down and this came out. Maybe I need a column about getting pissed off with asshat online retailers. :(

Bye then. :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm lucky enough to live close enough to just drive up and purchase at the counter. It sounds like some muppet screwed your order, they've always been quite good to me.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They've been superb to me beforehand, I've defended them time and time again. Their office just seems to be staffed by a couple of housebricks. :(

Miniman

Fledgling Freddie
I believe they save costs on their customer service, so while everything is ok with your order you get what you want at a good price in a timely manner. But if anything goes wrong or you have to RMA that's going to be a nightmare.

You pays your money you makes your choices.

Stuart

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The most annoying thing about their shop is the queues. Its embarrasing to have to queue behind 23 middle-aged bearded geeks.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
But I my new modem now so all is not lost!

But:
.16.00.46. <caLLous> Hard Disks: [Total/Free: 254.45/1.86GB - Total/Free space on: C: 49.45/0.1GB - D: 25.44/0.76GB - E: 7.81/0.48GB - H: 114.49/0.5GB - I: 57.26/0.01GB]
:(

Daf

Fledgling Freddie
just what do you have to use up all that space?!

and booo to scan!

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
As Miniman said, just hope you dont ever have to RMA anything.

I and others whom I know used them for years until they shipped some dodgy goods. A freind even got solicitors involved in trying to get his money back.

Another mate tried to RMA a dead soundcard. They told him it was fine and tried to charge a restocking fee. We had tried that soundcard in multiple machines and it was definately dead.

I have since found out that the reason my mate was so outraged as this was he knew the thing was dead as he knelt on the card whilst he was taking the side of his case off and bent a couple of capacitors.... Scan still tried to tell it was okay and charge him for the restocking...

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Thankfully i have microdirect 2 miles away :)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Whipped said:
The obvious answer would be Pr0n!!
And the obvious solution would be to goto an "adult video shop" and buy some DVD's. Damn sight cheaper than an external firewire hdd (not matter how nice they are :))

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
Write a list of weaponry, around their cock-up. Phone them back up and continue the dispute in a calm, polite, but strong manner. They'll try and charge you for delivery on the re-send of the hard drive, I suspect. Make sure they don't.*

*This approach does require sleep and relaxation before hand.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Only ever dealt with scan once. Over the counter sale at their Head Office. Took them 2 1/2 hours one saturday morning to get me 1 TFT monitor

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
I've found SCAN okay but when I have had cause to contact them they haven't been that great in terms of customer service. Given that they are pretty cheap I guess you can't complain seeing as they probably employ people on the minimum wage and are therefore probably not that motivated to do their job well.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I had a real bad experience with Scan over a Geforce 256 DDR being wonky, then screwing up my order, then cancelling it, then sending me a card afterall, then billing me again etc etc etc. I never ordered from them again. Like overclockers, their service is great in getting parts to you as is the price. Customer service? Nout.

I had to serve 100 hours community service for driving all the way from Scotland to fire-bomb their offices.*

G

*lie, but i felt that way

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
If it makes you feel any better I got my Maxtor OneTouch 300Gb Firewire external HD today from Dabs :D

Works nicely and it comes with a Firewire & USB cable

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
PR. said:
If it makes you feel any better I got my Maxtor OneTouch 300Gb Firewire external HD today from Dabs :D

Works nicely and it comes with a Firewire & USB cable
Y'know, through all the stress of today, what with them fucking up my order and everything, I actually didn't find out if it came with the cable or not. Thanks, I now don't have to embarrass myself by ringing them again. :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
In reference to your email on 06 January. It looks like I have made a bit of a mistake here and for that I am sorry. As have probably guessed the HDD was removed from the order and was shipped without this. A refund for the drive has been processed.

If you wish I can re-invoice this drive to you and although you would have to be charged again for the drive, I can ship this to you with free carriage.
I didn't even have to put my irate face on. All's well that ends well, etc etc... :)

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
Thank chickens for that. It was blatently their error, so glad they've realised as such.

mookie

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom said:
The most annoying thing about their shop is the queues. Its embarrasing to have to queue behind 23 middle-aged bearded geeks.
so true. Then i keep twatting my head on that stupid msi display when i sit down to wait the 20 mins it takes to find 512mb of pc2700 ram. bastards :)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
mookie said:
so true. Then i keep twatting my head on that stupid msi display when i sit down to wait the 20 mins it takes to find 512mb of pc2700 ram. bastards :)

the signs slapping you for buying from them again :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom