Scam emails, be warned!

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
Is this a genuine email...............it's come from noreply@goa.com

Hello, this is GOA Europe technical support contacting you regarding an account theft. It has come to our knowledge that you are not the rightfull owner of this account, and we will shut it down for further investigation if you don't prove us wrong.
To prove yourself innocent, send an email back to Mythic@runbox.com (Due to this is a one way email, and cannot take replies)
Containing your email registered to the account and the answer on your secret question to it.
We need this information to contact your email provider and see if there has been any inconvinience regarding your account.

Best regards , Brian Johnston. Mythic Entertainment

a) the email address is they sent this to (after further investigation by me) is not registered to any of my accounts

b) they dont say which account im not the rightful owner of

c) if this is genuine who have i pissed off now?

I am going to send this in reply..............but not until i get some feedback from u guys

Ive received this email from you can you please confirm which account you want me to verify, as our family have numerous accounts, and following investigation from me it doesnt seem like THIS email address is registered to any of them,

Best regards.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Its a scam if you ask me, since its "send" from goa, but you should reply to a mythic@runbox.com... runbox.. totally unrelated to to mythic and goa.

they ask for your email and safety line, this way they can request a new password, and possible hack your mailserver to retrieve your new password.

dont reply imo

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
A total scam, do not send ANY information about your account to that address. Furthermore, report them to GOA (RightNow I reckon ) so they can undertake steps against it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It is a very blatent scam, delete and never reply to any emails about DAoC from GOA unless you made a request via RightNow and are awaiting a reply.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
you can spoof sent email addresses easily, you can't however spoof the email that they want you to send it to.I could write a script in php that could do it in 5 mins...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
its a scam

1) mythic have nothing to do with goa
2) what the hell is runbox
3) its worded by a chimp
4) goa use subscriptions @ goa.com or something

edit runbox is just another email host, its like someone saying please send all your details to iamgoingtorobyourstuff @ hotmail.com

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
the email they sent it to isnt registered to any of my accounts but i do use it on one forum................which i am now looking into because im almost 100% positive i hide my email address on the 5 forums Im on

thanks for replies so far though not nice to wake up to that

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
You can fill in whatever sender-email you like, but probably goa are using an email-server requireing authenthication - so best choice would be to check the server that sent the initial email.

The smtp server the email should come from: smtp.camelot-europe.com[193.252.123.31].

-----

Even if it is an obvious scam this time around... runbox.com is a public email service provider - it might be good to know how to atleast ensure that the emails are from GOA in the future by looking at the sending server(not 100% safe either... but doubt they would go through the hassle).

I would:

a) report this incident to GOA via RightNow, stating email sender, and sender-IP if you can, and the entire email.

b) report "mythic@runbox.com" to runbox.com as a malicious user - sending fake emails in another company's name. - runbox.com looks like a serious company - and will probably lock down the account.

c) i would report this to Mythic aswell - as they are using their name in the scam.

------

So don't send them a single email. :fluffle:

/Ovron

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
runbox could actually take this even further, as its deception, i am sure they have a CoC of sorts, would be nice to think the sender of this email registered some sort of forwarding email address :)

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
ha! without being told how to do it ive found where the email has come from..........now wat to do with the info ive got?

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
I read up to wat Ovron posted ok will start doing that then and ty :fluffle:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
send everything you have found to rightnow, for added fun you could sign up the fake email mythic@runbox.com to everything you can find on the net.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
yeah :) dont do it though because its also a crime, just let Goa handle it.

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:

I dont have enough hours in my day already but still made me laugh at the idea :worthy:

Laddey

FH is my second home
Raven said:

Such a bad influence! Aye, let goa handle it. Scumbags imo

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
I have also reported the scammers to their own service providers...........I do hope they can read english :)

Appollo

Part of the furniture
Got 1 myself 2day:

Hello, this is GOA Europe technical support contacting you regarding an account
theft. It has come to our knowledge that you are not the rightfull owner of this
account, and we will shut it down for further investigation if you don't prove
us wrong.
To prove yourself innocent, send an email back to Mythicatrunbox.com (Due to this
is a one way email, and cannot take replies)
Containing your email registered to the account and the answer on your secret
question to it.
We need this information to contact your email provider and see if there has
been any inconvinience regarding your account.

Best Regards, Brian Johnston. Dark Age of Camelot Europe

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i think we need someone to get in contact with a GM for them to put out something official, seems a few people have had this

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
GoldenThong said:
a scam from noreply@goa.com?

ok we've already established I'm a bit stupid but how?

look at the property of that email and u will see that it isnt acually FROM goa at all. they just set that email as the sender, nothing else. if u look at the properties it shows where its truly from.

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
OK I have now rightnowed it.............have contacted the runbox.com people and the service provider where the original message came from................so someone is going to get a :twak: irl very soon, how very exciting :)

GoldenThong

Fledgling Freddie
Hubby just woke up and read his email and got the same one too, same again though the address he received his at isnt registered to GOA either, just makes me wonder where this person is getting our email addresses from.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
It's a scam.

Why would GOA or Mythic ask for your account details? They already have them.

Report this guy and delete the mail.

GOA will NEVER ask you for your account details. Any account dispute and renaming that is troublesome will be dealt with by real mail to a real house, never to an email account.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
GoldenThong said:
Hubby just woke up and read his email and got the same one too, same again though the address he received his at isnt registered to GOA either, just makes me wonder where this person is getting our email addresses from.

can be done with various bot server networks, virus infested computers all over the world, got backdoors installed, so they become a part of a socalled bot network, then hackers can abuse all this cpu/bandwidth power to gather data, getting email adresses like yours is prolly done by a webcrawler that searches for email adresses, and just with some daoc key words to hit possible daoc subscribers.

they might have sent the same email to 10,000 emails they have found, but there might only be few recieving it on the real email they registred account with, and not be suspicious.

only thing there is to say about matters like account infomation, never give it out, as most sites/companys have rules never to ask for it.

I have some sites myself with users, and I got f.ex. no access what so ever to their passwords, only a encrypted string, where peoples passwords are the key to, so I dont know their passwords, but I can at all times access whatever data they got on their account, I would never ever need their password for this.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Its been stated hundreds of times that GOA will never ever under any circumstances ask you for your passwords.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
send everything you have found to rightnow, for added fun you could sign up the fake email mythic@runbox.com to everything you can find on the net.

i remember finding a site some years ago, that all u had to do was write the email of the victim you wanted into it, and it would sign that account up to about 9k known email spammers, who in turn would pass that on etc, and the victim would get some thousands of spam emails every day (insta filling inbox as soon as u deleted them :p ) oh how i had some fun with taht.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom