say it properly

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The Oxford english Dictionary is just a book, it's not the official manuscript of some overbearing world authority on the English language, though many would be excused for thinking of it like that when the media 'awards' words with some status by their inclusion.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
The Oxford english Dictionary is just a book, it's not the official manuscript of some overbearing world authority on the English language, though many would be excused for thinking of it like that when the media 'awards' words with some status by their inclusion.

Yes and 'Gold" is just a silly shiny metal, but when you decide to set it as your standard, it takes on a much bigger symbolic meaning.

Job

Well Gold is very rare and has some very impressive properties, one being you can flatten into huge pieces of sheet from like the tiniest amount and you can eat it, and it doesn't rust and it's dead heavy.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
haha yeah 'pacifically designed to enhance your posture' Fucking What??? If I sit in the ocean I won't get a bad back??? OR do you mean SPecifically as in designed for an actual purpose?!!

...omg you set me off, dammit!!

Indeed!!

Also some people say "arks" instead of "ask"....how the hell would you ever get to that??

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Well Gold is very rare and has some very impressive properties, one being you can flatten into huge pieces of sheet from like the tiniest amount and you can eat it, and it doesn't rust and it's dead heavy.

ooohw, I can't resist... the usage of dead there is slang, in stead of correct English :D
I can imagine why you oppose to the OED :)

With that note, it's time to hit the shower followed by the pub :)
Ta-tah

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I worked with somebody who couldn't pronounce "th" properly, three was always 'free' and it wound me up something rotten. It wasn't an impediment, it was downright laziness and stupidity.

People who put "k" into "schedule" should be put in a sack with the afforementioned oaf and thrown into the Tiber in true Roman fashion.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It wasn't an impediment, it was downright laziness and stupidity.

Jesus fuck, such ignorance.

Pronouncing 'th' as 'f' such as "free" in the case of "three" may be technically incorrect in the view of 'English', but it's also a reflection of language and the variations thereof. This is particularly true in west of Scotland language where they would typically pronounce "three" as "free", not because of laziness and stupidity but local dialect.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
just so glad so many of you have seen my point on this matter...

btw.. on a side note... scalene triangles... piss take

Job

A girl I knew couldn't say UGLY, she would always say UGERLY no matter how hard she tried.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
im getting well pissed off with how newsreaders in UK pronounce the name Nicholas Sarkozy... in a french accent. Nicola Sar ko zeee.... FUCK off will ya.
its Nicholas Sar Cosy. We aint french so stop saying his name like that you fucking idiots, we know he is french.

I noticed the Fukushima power plants name got changed as well.. was once FUCK A SHIMA.. now its FUK USHIMA.

whats next? having to say Wayne Rooney in a scouse accent everytime he's in the news? or Billy Connolly in a husky Glaswegian accent?

bollocks to it
No.

Say it the way its supposed to sound to the extent of your ability, maybe yours is just low i dont know but its fucking stupid not to try at least.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
English people talking about pronunciation, you've seen it all.

women - women
laugh - ghost
said - mail
lost - most

You get the picture. I will just briefly mention "ghoti" at this point and to be honest, I've never seen a language with so many pronunciation differences. Sure there are languages that pronounce differently than it's written, but at least it's always the same ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
English people talking about pronunciation, you've seen it all.

women - women
laugh - ghost
said - mail
lost - most

You get the picture. I will just briefly mention "ghoti" at this point and to be honest, I've never seen a language with so many pronunciation differences. Sure there are languages that pronounce differently than it's written, but at least it's always the same ;)

There's a difference between the phonetic oddities of English (and yes there has a long been an argument to rationalise a lot of the odder English spellings) and being pig-ignorant because of some ridiculous inverted snobbery that won't let you pronounce foreign words correctly. I drives me mad when I see English speakers making no effort at all to even try.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, i alwas think i should put as much efort into spiiking englis as the englis put effort in talking other languaes.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I bought a book on Scot's Gaelic so that I could at least attempt to pronounce Munro names properly, but by Christ it's hard with some right oddities.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
im getting well pissed off with how newsreaders in UK pronounce the name Nicholas Sarkozy... in a french accent. Nicola Sar ko zeee.... FUCK off will ya.
its Nicholas Sar Cosy. We aint french so stop saying his name like that you fucking idiots, we know he is french.

I noticed the Fukushima power plants name got changed as well.. was once FUCK A SHIMA.. now its FUK USHIMA.

whats next? having to say Wayne Rooney in a scouse accent everytime he's in the news? or Billy Connolly in a husky Glaswegian accent?

bollocks to it

You don't "translate" names. You pronounce it (as accurate as possible) the same way it sounds in the owners own country...

Dialects obviously not included.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
There's a difference between the phonetic oddities of English (and yes there has a long been an argument to rationalise a lot of the odder English spellings) and being pig-ignorant because of some ridiculous inverted snobbery that won't let you pronounce foreign words correctly. I drives me mad when I see English speakers making no effort at all to even try.

Okay, true ;)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Well, i alwas think i should put as much efort into spiiking englis as the englis put effort in talking other languaes.

lol was outside a pub a few weeks ago and there was a couple of foreign guys and girls, we all got chatting and they said oh excuse us our english is not very good (wtf man???) I was like dude lol I'm english, we speak two languages english and REALLY LOUD ENGLISH for when people don't quite understand us, they all pissed themselves and the girl was like omgomg yes I was in a cafe and the woman she was just shouting at me and I was like sheesh I'm polish not deaf!! hehe

Lethul

FH is my second home
A girl I knew couldn't say UGLY, she would always say UGERLY no matter how hard she tried.

Chinese? The Chinese in my class seems to add an R to all kind of words :p

ideaR the most obvious example

tierk

Part of the furniture
Chinese? The Chinese in my class seems to add an R to all kind of words :p

ideaR the most obvious example

Most of the Chinese people i have met over years had a problem with the letter R.

Rugby would become Lugby for example.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Most of the Chinese people i have met over years had a problem with the letter R.

Rugby would become Lugby for example.

apparently thats a problem in japan because the japanese letter/symbol whatever for l and r is the same, therefore they dont know when to use the letters correctly

Job

They're just not the same, especially Chinese, accents are caused by the speaker being so accustomed to a certain noise following another in their own language that when they try to speak your words they can't help but pronounce the letters slightly wrong.
Like fly lice
and sorefinga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom