Sata

Nazgul

Fledgling Freddie
I am going to buy a 120GB SATA hard drive but I am not sure which make is best. Which of the following drives would you recommend and why?
IBM/Hitachi - Deskstar
Maxtor - Plus 9
Seagate - Barracuda
Western Digital
I am not too bothered about noise. However I did read somewhere that the Barracuda produces a lot of heat.

Thnx

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
I have the Maxtor - Plus 9. I haven't used others to compare, but I've no problems with it at all, it's fast, quiet and easy to install.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
When I went to buy mine I avoided Maxtor because of the amount of stories of failure I heard here and on other forums. They are however dirt cheap.

I went for a Western digital drive, but wanted a seagate one -couldnt justify the cost difference at the time. I suppose it depends entirely on what other people think about the drives at the time you are looking around.

For heat/noise and reliability I found the seagate barracuda recommended on the sudhian sff forums.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
With my experience i'd go for Western Digital, have a lovly se pata one here, my old ibm died a death but is still ocassionaly usable but as a result i wouldnt buy an new deathstar even if its sata. Theres a maxtor i had at home but it has crapped out on us before. But those are all pata ones so dunno if the sata ones have a better record.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just for the record, my pata maxtor died after about 2 years. Replaced with a WD Caviar, great drive although I suspect it's not as fast as it should be.

G

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
The WD's are actually comparable in price, if not cheaper than the maxtor drives. I've had problems with seagate drives on more than one occasion, but they were pata. For every person with a bad experience, theres another with the complete opposite, in nearly all things.
They should all serve you well ....... and if not, send em back. Go for the one that gets you the most for your money imo, there's not much in it.

The sata ones at Scan all look pretty good. A nice 2x120gig raid config would work well I'd bet :) Wish I'd bought 2 myself now!

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Stay away from Seagate atm, a friend who has a pc shop told me he gets more broken seagate sata drives then all others combined, he said maxtor seems to be the best drives atm.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
No probs with my Seagate Barracuda 120Gb SATA drive. Must be lucky.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
My Maxtor - Plus 9 160gb Sata runs fine...so far. :fluffle:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ch3tan said:
When I went to buy mine I avoided Maxtor because of the amount of stories of failure I heard here and on other forums. They are however dirt cheap.

I went for a Western digital drive, but wanted a seagate one -couldnt justify the cost difference at the time. I suppose it depends entirely on what other people think about the drives at the time you are looking around.

For heat/noise and reliability I found the seagate barracuda recommended on the sudhian sff forums.
Not to bang on the "sucks for them" drum, but I'm on my second Maxtor & haven't ever had any issues. The old 120GB still purrs.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I had a few IBM Deskstars over the years, all running 24/7 with no problems, the only time one failed was when I dropped it :eek7:

Also a couple of Maxtors, good drives, easily up with the IBMs.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
I had a few IBM Deskstars over the years, all running 24/7 with no problems, the only time one failed was when I dropped it :eek7:

Also a couple of Maxtors, good drives, easily up with the IBMs.
my deskstar crashed yesterday :)

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
CustomPC recently raved about the Hitachi Deskstar/Ultrastar product on a test of all those you mentioned.

I've just bought WD (I think, can't remember!). All drives are pretty much the same on reliability these days. I looked into Cache, drive seek times, rpm and volume.

8Mb cache, 7200rpm and 160Gb pair in a RAID0 SATA sitting in the home machine just waiting for the DFI otherboard to work!

There are 10k rpm one's now but I'm guessing they're a price premium in a big way.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Just got a deskstar SATA, at first glance it's small, quiet and fast. Also bought a SCSI ultrastar which is noisy and has a dodgy sounding bearing in it. That'll be going back needless to say. :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been thinking about getting a new SATA HD, and the main thing driving my consideration is the warranty. 1 year warranty = cost cutting. 3 year warranty = more reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom