SATA hard drive noob help!

TWS

Fledgling Freddie
Just got myself a new 'Western Digital' 250Gb SATA hard drive.
I naively thought it would just be a case of bunging it in the case, connecting the power and SATA cable, and 'Roberts yer fathers brother' then I would be able to copy the data from my existing ide h/d's (still installed as 'master and slave') onto the shiny new drive.
But it doesn't even register as being present at all? Cant find it in Device Manager...
What is the fatal flaw in my logic?

Cheers

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Have you installed your SATA card's drivers? Have you checked the cables? Can you hear the drive spinning up and know that it's working?

Right click "My Computer" and select Manage. Then go to the disk management section and see if an un-initialised disk is present. Initialise it, format it etc.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I hope you only plugged 1 power source into it!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You have to enable SATA in your BIOS. Mine has a separate bit for booting the SATA drive up.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Also, if your bios is one that emulates sata as scsi/ide make sure you choose the right one (probably ide) so that windows can see it. Does the drive spin up? Listen to it during power up and GENTLY tilt it side to side - if it resists changes in orientation its spun up (gyroscpoe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom