Fledgling Freddie
Was asked to post on BW (and I did).
Hope can be useful to add here too

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Sanya [mailto:sanya@mythicentertainment.com]
Inviato: lunedì 5 gennaio 2004 18.29
A: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oggetto: RE: GOA services

First, I want to warn you this is a form letter - I have received many emails on this topic and can't reply to everyone.

You do need to contact GOA with your feedback, since I can't do anything to help you specifically. I have passed on the feedback to the producers here, though, and I appreciate you writing.

Sanya here, not a form letter now - would you do me a favor? I went to register to the Barry's World forum (after I cut and pasted all the replies to everyone's emails) so I could write a post... but the forum isn't taking new accounts anymore! So, if you would not mind, I'd appreciate it if you would pass on that I was unable to register to post, else I would have.

We REALLY can't do anything outright, but my form letter is quite sincere. I have passed on all the feedback I received, and we can look into it. We are very happy to have so many players in Europe, and obviously we want to have everyone keep playing for as long as they enjoy the game. I wish that didn't sound quite so "PRish," considering I actually mean it.

Sanya M. Thomas
Internet Relations Manager
Mythic Entertainment
www.darkageofcamelot.com

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
You really should tell her that the BW forums are now FH forums and to register here ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They'll pull DAoC out of Europe all together if this forum lets loose on 'em :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
No they won't, why would they? Mythic are making a fortune and GOA really ain't doing half as bad a job as most people whine about. Mythic get a bucketload of critisism too or have you lot conveniently forgotten that.. ;)

Cyfr

Banned
Is it me or did that email not really make sence? :p

Cyfr

Banned
You mean 'Hypocritical' right? :rolleyes:
I wasn't refering to the spelling anyway as you might well know. Things can still make sense when spelt incorrectly.

Spades

Fledgling Freddie
lol no they can't does this make sense to you: know I dnot tinc co

If you say yes ill come over there and poke you :touch:

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
What will we gain if mythic takes over the servers?
Big chance we'll loose our characters (as GOA is owning them and not mythic).
The transit period will be hell.
What will happen with the german and french people? (as they are the biggest client base, can't imagine that mythic "only" wants the small english clients)
Will we have to buy daoc again or will mythic code double? (from what i understand, the difference between euro and us daoc is big enough to prevent you from playing on us with your euro daoc)
Will the prices raise?

and most important, will the service be better? im not a technocrate, but i can imagine that the servers will be in the US, does this mean that it will increase the chance of failure? (see the open transit problems).

And besides, although GOA fucked up big time by not giving information, i still think they are doing a pretty good job. How many times were the servers down the last 2 years? i think GOA can present a service coverage of 99%. and any service providing company that has a service failure of less then 10% is doing a damn nice job.
With a new GOA rep who is doing the public announcements GOA is making a step in the direction of perfect service, and if they can slap bibit around somewhat for a better payment service then you'll have a service providing company that will make any economist student drool.

And before all you whiners start bitching about what GOA did wrong, name ONE commercial service provider with a big client base that can offer a 0% service failure over a time frame of two years.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
will we get patches in time?

ill we get news if something happends?

will we get a test server to try diffrent specs?

ohh and nerf your long replies :p mine never are long :kissit:

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
- is it a bad thing thing to wait till we get the debugged version?
- We got erivoss now
- good point, we will gain that, IF mythic decides to patch us to US code standards. (will either mean a BIG patch, or we have to rebuy the daoc client)

ArcFalleN

Fledgling Freddie
civ regarding the US and EURO daoc clint diff the only diff is patch versions if u replace ur update.dat with a US one it becomes a U version it patch up all the files that dont match US clients

and i htink it whould be a good idea of Mythic "Adopted" the Europen english comunity into the US comunity i think everyone whould be happy becuse to be honest everyone knows that goa have no intrest in keeping the English comunity happy nor will they

if they took the English players over to US its keeps everyone happy

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
/sarcasm on
You seriously think that if Mythic took over the Euro servers we'd all be happy? oh right enough Mythic don't have server problems, screwed up patches and a moany arsed community like GOA have right?

LMFAO! :)

/sarcasm off

Vesania

Fledgling Freddie
Played MMORPGs on US servers, don't want to go there again thank you, not even if such a thing could be done without loss of characters and assets etc.

GOA have made some mistakes and generally _seem_ to be less bothered about their English server clientele, but if you think any company would be able to provide 100% uptime and no technological snags, think again. Perfection ain't possible in this line of business. GOA are learning and most of the time they do a reasonable job.

Speeedy

Fledgling Freddie
tbh, GOA apart from 1 or 2 things seem to be doing an ok job.. ok the information that they do give us could be a bit faster in coming but normaly it all seems fine.

But as normal most people will just see the grass being greener on the other side.. read the vgn boards and you will see they have the same arguments with the company running the game as we do.

Ele

Fledgling Freddie
Hopefully Erivoss is our Saviour and can iron out a lot of the questions we have at the moment with regards to Goa, or at least point them in the right direction. \o/

Jay

Fledgling Freddie
- will we get patches in time?
no, because mythic will have to translate them instead of goa and it will probably take even longer with a US company doing it.

- ill we get news if something happends?
we do get that actually. typically, you seem to be the type of person who takes a service like that for granted until it doesnt happen once, then throws their toys.

- will we get a test server to try diffrent specs?
i doubt it. what language would it be in? english? we're the smallest community in europe, so i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not that conceited. and if they do it in french or german, people like you will whine that you cant understand it.

be happy with what we have. try to look for the positives instead of just shouting your mouth off about the negatives. if you think mythic is so great, why not play on US servers? you may be interested to know that according to vnboards, the US servers are far worse than ours.

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't get why they need to translate patches from American to English before giving them to excal and prydwen tbh...

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
It's possibly to do with the GOA only content that we get and anyway why should we get it before the French and Germans? We don't like it when they get something way before us ;)

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
It's possibly to do with the GOA only content that we get and anyway why should we get it before the French and Germans? We don't like it when they get something way before us ;)

because it is not the same version on english and american servers. It is the interational version on english servers. An example : there are no accent in the US version but there are accents in the english version (ö,é,è,ó, etc). It seems there are hundreds of changes like that (that's why patches for english servers are also tested by GOA on Gorre).

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
It's nice to see some EU players actually making sensible and mature posts. None of this "GOA is tehsuk!!!!11oneoneleven" posting...

GOA do a fine job. They have their problems. So does every other company that runs a mmorpg. Many of the connection problems are due to Opentransit's servers. Can GOA do anything about it? Probably not, Opentransit are likely the only French possibility.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
My view of GOA has been dim in the past. However the last few weeks they seem to of started to pull there act together, with erivoss coming on board keeping us up to date with any developments on the server. I thought their 2 year message they posted on the official website went a long way to mending there relationship with ppl. (well, me at least :D)

Glendower

Fledgling Freddie
GOA is crap.

You guys are deluding yourselves if you think Mythic couldn't hire better folk to do the translating, etc, not to mention the fact that France's infrastructure is pretty much shiit. Plus they are a bunch of slackers who take holiday at the drop of a hat, dont work weekends seemingly, etc.

I say hire a company in germany and let em host servers, etc there. That way you get efficiency and top-notch tech/infrastructure.

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Glendower said:
I say hire a company in germany and let em host servers, etc there. That way you get efficiency and top-notch tech/infrastructure.

There speaks a man who has never had to deal with Deutsche Telekom

Eynar

Fledgling Freddie
Glendower said:
GOA is crap.

You guys are deluding yourselves if you think Mythic couldn't hire better folk to do the translating, etc, not to mention the fact that France's infrastructure is pretty much shiit. Plus they are a bunch of slackers who take holiday at the drop of a hat, dont work weekends seemingly, etc.

LOL, the only person deluding himself here are you tbh...Goa's general server uptime is what, somewhere near 99% for the last 2 years? And since when is France's infrastructure shit then? Actually France Telecom is the world leader in data & IP services, and they sure wouldn't manage this with some crappy infrastructure. And I'm not even gonna comment on your suggestion to let some German company host the servers.... (come on, GERMAN???)
:kissit:

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Glendower said:
GOA is crap.

aren't EU Horizon servers located in Germany (Frankfürt) ?
http://www.tazoon.com/releaseForums/tm.asp?m=93780&mpage=1&key=
:kissit:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom