Samurize

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi geeks! Ermm, I mean really helpful peoples! :p

In the desktop thread I saw loads of posts from peoples who had this Samurize thing and it looks really cool, what with the weather and TV reports on your desktop and so naturally I wanted it too!

So last night I downloaded what I think was the Samurize programme, ran the exe and installed it but don't really understand how it works. It gave me a config thing a weird editor. I also downloaded a weather plug in and in the readme file it says about putting vbs files in the script folder.

I am by no means a thicky, but I just don't get how to make this thing work. Can anyone help me please?

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, i never bothered with that. I took the easy route and d/l'ed a program called Desktop X. It basically lets you download pre-done scripts of other peoples desktops. It's also much simpler to use, and activate and even muddle around with (shock horror!).

Follow the link to d/l it.

http://www.stardock.com/products/desktopx/

babs

Can't get enough of FH
On the samurize site look at the downloads section and pre-done configs. I was initially confused but it's really easy. Have a play with the editor, it makes sense really quickly then ;)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
[QUOTE='Shy]I am by no means a thicky, but I just don't get how to make this thing work. Can anyone help me please?[/QUOTE]
if you drop the VBS files into the c:\program files\samurize\scripts folder so samurize can see them (you might need to reload it to get them to load)

then you need to configure it, so go to the config and you'll get the workspace.. grab a screenie of your desktop to make it easier (should be a button on the bottom left to do screengrab)

from what i remember you need to draw squares in the config to indicate where you want your stuff to be displayed (try and keep them close together or it does funny stuff on you)

i think you then right-click and insert VBS or something and select it from the list of VB scripts, then away you go.. its all self explanitory with a bit of fiddling.

of course i dont have samurize running on my boxes at home or here at work as im not stats-hungry or need to know whats on TV when i got the tv book within easy reach ;)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
I still don't understand the VBS file thing. There are already VBS files in the scripts folder, so I guess it did it automatically? And there's no VBS files at all in the weather plugin folder I downloaded.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I downloaded this the other day. Excellent idea for a thread this, since Samurize is one of the more involved Desktop mods. It is supposed to be excellent though :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
There will already be the default VBS files in the scripts folder, any additional ones you add have to go in as well as those. Normally there's a readme with a plugin telling you how to use it (like the TV ones tell you which lines of the text file they create to read in).

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Well I think I've done quite well! I've got as far as telling it my LocationID for my hometown but now the readme files says I have to tell the script the path to the images in a parameter. The only parameter I can see is where it asks me for my LocationID - it doesn't ask me for anything else.

Ooo and I managed to put the date and time onto my desktop in bright pink, as an added bonus!

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I've got a TV script working. Can't get the built in image downloading working mind, so I'll have to grab that manually I think. It's sexy though.

Anyway, back to the revision :)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
UKTV from the samurize site it the desktop script you need if youre thinking about sticking the TV listings on your desktop. Yes samurize is an amazingly fiddly piece of software when you first use it, i remember giving up on it because nothing was working a short while back and came back to it and it worked fine which was quite nice.

It's best to have the window area fully maximised to your desktop so you can get a rough idea of where the script will appear ion your desktop, save it whenever you move it and reload the config file this will change to location of the script relative to where you placed it in the editor. :)

Managed positioning mine in a cosy little spot right about my taskbar which is convenient as its hidden out of view most of the time. :)

Try not to go too heavy on what information samurize has to process, although it looks good it still soaks up some of your CPU power, if you find it to be using up all of your CPU power due to a glitch or something, simply close it and reload it and everything should be hunky dory. :D

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
Shy what weather script are you using? imho the best script is DesktopWeatherXML, it is simple to set up and there is a sample config included to get you started. I believe it has been removed from samurize.com because of some copyright issues with the images but if you want it let me know.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Miles_Binck said:
Shy what weather script are you using? imho the best script is DesktopWeatherXML, it is simple to set up and there is a sample config included to get you started. I believe it has been removed from samurize.com because of some copyright issues with the images but if you want it let me know.

It's the weather.com one. Still couldn't work it out all of last night, I must be a thicky after all! Then it kept freezing and not responding so I uninstalled it in a strop!

If you can send me a simpler one I'd much appreciate it :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
[QUOTE='Shy]It's the weather.com one. Still couldn't work it out all of last night, I must be a thicky after all! Then it kept freezing and not responding so I uninstalled it in a strop!

If you can send me a simpler one I'd much appreciate it :)[/QUOTE]

I have that one, and cant get it to work either. The script dosnt appear in the script editor, although it does appear in the scripts folder. :eek7:

Buggerin bugger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom