Phones Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
...and people wonder why phone sales are falling.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Samsung charging a lot of money for their brand new flagship probably isn't one of the reasons.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, it is actually.

Samsung, Apple, Sony, everyone else, charging best part of a grand for something that is becoming less and less fashionable and less and less useful (as in, it doesn't do anything the last one doesn't do)

Less people need it, it doesn't actually do anything new. Less people want it because top end phones are not anything special any more.

People aren't going to drop a grand on something they don't need or want, not in large numbers.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
To be fair it's only the Note 8 and the bigger iLames pushing a grand, most of the rest are in the £500-£600 mark. As long as they are free on a contract, people will still "buy" them.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think @Raven missed the word "flagship". Samsung make dozens of phones in every region of the world and most of them (outside their flagship Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines) are "for the masses" and much more affordable SIM free and a couple of quid a month (if that) on top of the bill with a contract.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think @caLLous missed the recent news where it turns out all phone sales are taking a hit. "Flagship" (yeah keep telling yourself that, its still the same mass produced plastic crap as the other ones) or not.

Market saturation, pretty much everyone that wants one, has one.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I still think @Raven missed (or doesn't understand) the word flagship.

I'm not arguing about phone sales taking a hit (I don't know or frankly care if that's actually the case), I'm saying that a manufacturer bringing out their new FLAGSHIP model and charging through the nose for it won't have anything to do with it. I also don't give an awful lot of a toss about how you define a flagship, it's their top of the line phone therefore by that fact alone it's their flagship. It also has the biggest and best screen, the new dual-lens camera, the latest processer, the most RAM, the S Pen etc etc... (I also don't give an awful lot of a toss how valuable you find any of those things, to pre-empt your reply)

People who want such a phone don't give two shits about "market saturation". When sales of new cars slow down do you also think that BMW, Mercedes, Audi et al are to blame for the prices of their highest end cars? No, because most people don't even give them a second glance in the first place and the people that want them and are in a position to buy them will do so anyway.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I know exactly what flagship means.

I am wondering what point you are attempting to make, if any.

Who the fuck cares if its flagship or bargain bin, it will still sell like crap. Because. What I have already said. You can carry on writing long paragraphs of nonsense if you like though. You are still wrong...or confused...or have no point to make, evz.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Maybe if you actually read it without knee-jerking into one of your boilerplate pithy replies you'd understand the point I'm making. I'll put it one paragraph all on its own for you (I hope it's not too long):

Sales of flagship products aren't influenced by the market and their price doesn't have any influence on the market. They're luxury goods, people who want them will buy them and people who just want "a phone" (in this case) probably won't even know they exist.

Also, the Note 8 will not "sell like crap"; I expect Samsung will sell more of them than they projected (assuming it doesn't catch fire or something). Not only because of the above but also because the Note 7 clusterfuck last year has left a lot of people who have older Notes waiting for this release.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Note8 brings absolutely nothing new to the table. My Note4 does everything the 8 can do, just not as silky smooth fast. I hate the way everything's going plasticy.

Give me a reassuringly heavy metal cased phone that feels solid with a back not made of cheap thin plastic. A rear camera that doesn't bulge out that cracks when you NFC file transfer with another device. Decent on board speakers. A phone with edges. I hate edge less screens. Can't pick the damn thing up without some stupid slide out menu appearing. I don't need an always on display. And I'm not paying a thousand pounds for a phone . Not now not ever.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The Note8 brings absolutely nothing new to the table. My Note4 does everything the 8 can do, just not as silky smooth fast. I hate the way everything's going plasticy.

Give me a reassuringly heavy metal cased phone that feels solid with a back not made of cheap thin plastic. A rear camera that doesn't bulge out that cracks when you NFC file transfer with another device. Decent on board speakers. A phone with edges. I hate edge less screens. Can't pick the damn thing up without some stupid slide out menu appearing. I don't need an always on display. And I'm not paying a thousand pounds for a phone . Not now not ever.
What were you expecting it to be able to do? I'm not sure what you've seen but the Note 8 has an aluminium chassis and Gorilla Glass all over the back. You can disable all of that stuff (edge menus, always-on display etc). I agree that's it expensive (and lack of stereo speakers is annoying). I still have and love my Note 3 but it is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'll see what happens with the price of the 8 in a few months but it looks like a great phone.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have the Samsung s8. Not the Note.
The phone is not plastic. It feels a very solid and quality build.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Well I can tell you this S6 Edge will hopefully be my last Samsung - not impressed with it in the slightest. Battery life is poor, the screen usually takes about 3 jabs to register on the Edge portion, and I have never had so many random ad's pop up - even in the Gmail client. Thankfully it's only a temporary phone, and it's an improvement on an iPhone, but otherwise it's very meh.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It looks nice but has anyone used one?

I'm looking for something to replace my Nexus 6P soon. It's a couple of years old now. I've got an iPhone 7 so unless the 8 is amazing I want a new Android this year and keep my iOS.

Think the Pixel 2 will be better than the Note8?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
If you want Samsung flagship type specs how about this

5.5 inch AMOLED screen Bezel-less android 7.0 4G smartphone, Helio P25 Octa Core 2.5GHz 6GB RAM+64GB ROM, 5MP front camera + dual rear camera (8MP + 16MP) - Black

For £190

Ok, so it's Chinese. Might stop working after a fortnight. Or freeze. Or explode. Or secretly send all your data to Beijing

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073RBZ25Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1504656738&sr=1-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&th=1&psc=1
Um. No ta :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If you want Samsung flagship type specs how about this

5.5 inch AMOLED screen Bezel-less android 7.0 4G smartphone, Helio P25 Octa Core 2.5GHz 6GB RAM+64GB ROM, 5MP front camera + dual rear camera (8MP + 16MP) - Black

For £190

Ok, so it's Chinese. Might stop working after a fortnight. Or freeze. Or explode. Or secretly send all your data to Beijing

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073RBZ25Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1504656738&sr=1-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&th=1&psc=1

Nah the current good chinese buy is the Xiaomi redmi note 4.

Really great price/specs.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Nah the current good chinese buy is the Xiaomi redmi note 4.

Really great price/specs.

I just watched a video of this thinking "woah, this looks rather nice, must be about £500 mark".

LALS.

£150 from HK?! Seriously would consider one.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I just watched a video of this thinking "woah, this looks rather nice, must be about £500 mark".

LALS.

It's really really good for the money.
If you don't game, and don't use android pay, and don't need an AMAZING camera it's perfect.

£150 is the 64gb option, the 32gb option is around £115. I bought one as a phone for staff to use on rotor when the alarms go off ( so they can mute their normal phone ), and check remote CCTV on the phone with this one.

It's a great phone, and the fingerprint sensor is FAST.

My uncle has one, my sister/brother in law have one each as well.
If you want an action sports phone ( skiing/cycling/etc ) to avoid damaging your main phone, or just want a cheap backup phone/partner/kids/whatever, you can't beat it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh also it has a dual sim tray, or you can use a single sim and put a micro SD in the second slot.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

LALS.

Check for dodgy spyware installed by whoever you buy the phone from.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Check for dodgy spyware installed by whoever you buy the phone from.
If you buy the phones from a european retailer (and the phone in question is officially released in Europe) i'm fairly sure there won't be any spyware on it. Otherwise it would have been found at the same time as it did in the US.

Though if you buy one from import sites i wouldn't be at all surprised if it came with that crap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom