Help Safe mode

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Help please

Pc has blue screened and won't boot, just keeps going round and round in circles. Won't boot, but won't shut down either

Which F key do I hit for safe mode.

Thanks

Edmond

Thx, can't even get it to boot in safe mode.

Fuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!!

Edmond

Not really the the help I was after Teeds

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thx, can't even get it to boot in safe mode.

Fuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!!

Cold boot and hammer f8 like a madman?

If that doesn't work then make sure the bios is being pointed at the boot drive.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Help please

Pc has blue screened and won't boot, just keeps going round and round in circles. Won't boot, but won't shut down either

Which F key do I hit for safe mode.

Thanks

If xp, enter the cd, go into repair mode (f2) i think. Type FIXBOOT and or FIXMBR, it should fix the startup. Google it to be sure.

If Windows 7 insert the cd aswell and hit repair.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
If Windows is booting too fast for you to hit the right key at the right time, a handy trick (if your BIOS supports it), is to force it to generate a boot menu. That takes away a lot of the need for Mario skills, since the boot-up sequence will pause just before Windows starts. Then you have more chance of hitting F8 at the right time.

Edmond

Ok, i managed to get it into safe mode and restore it to thursday, (and it still re started just as i had done it) which i when i knew it was ok, but it still wont boot, it wont shut down either, it just goes round in circles about 10 times, then blue screens. i then have to hold the power button to turn it off

I only built it about 3 months ago, and had a memory issue that deebs sorted, so could it be a power supply issue, although saying that, it does stay on when i'm in the bios set up?

Or a processer issue. i dont really want to re install as i need to back up stuff, but obviously cant keep it running in safe mode long enough to do that

Have tried to get hold of deebs this weekend but he never answers his phone due to being drunk at weekends

Thanks

Ed

edit

sorry only just read your reply Tuthmes, i'm running 7, i will try the disc thing when i get home. been sending these post from my office pc and my iPhone

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Windows 7 sometimes has recovery mode on the F8 options.

If you have to use the disc when you get to the screen that says Intall Now-> on the bottom left should be 3 options to click. Middle(?) one should be repair my computer.

Kryten

Old Cow.
First things to check are memory but more likely the hard drive.
Get hirens boot CD, burn to a disc, boot from it, start the HD diagnostic tool appropriate for your brand of HD and check that is still behaving properly.

If it isn't, ditch it. If it is and maybe picks up a couple of bad sectors, boot from the win 7 DVD, go to the reocvery console and use chkdsk /f /r then see if it does owt.

Edmond

It won't even boot from the win 7 disc. Gonna re install 7 on separate HDD and then use this one as a external to pick out the files I need. I think it's the HDD that's fucked

This isn't easy typing this on a cocking IPhone!!!

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
If it won't boot from the CD (what happens?) it wont be the HD. Sounds like the RAM, run mem test, whats the specs incl PSU stats ...

Edmond

Memory is fine, i have changed it and it still wont boot

Kryten

Old Cow.
Still think it's worth checking the HDD. A HDD failure can completely halt POST and fuck anything that's trying to use it - yes, that includes the Win 7 DVD boot process.

Edmond

Cheers kryten, I think it's def the HD, gonna do as I said, re install on new HD and try to salvage files off the fucked one

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
What HD is it? WD have up to 5 years warranty? You tried the manufactures diagnostic software?

Seems strange, never had a HD do that to me tbh, specs?

Edmond

Seagate HD, I can't get it boot to run any diagnostics. It's only 3 months old, so when I have the new one sorted I will be sending it back if it's still fucked

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Very odd, doesn't sound like a HD of 3 months old but very well could be, you don't have another stick of ram or psu just to test? I've had totally fucked 5 year old HD's before and never like that, my instincts go to RAM or PSU.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's the HDD. Age isn't an issue if they're dodgy.

When it's plugged into your other you should run the diagnostic tool if you can Edmond. If you return it and the people start being a pain it'll generally be handy for you to have the diagnostic error code.

Edmond

Thanks, I'll make a note of it. I should have the new one tomorrow. Will I be able to format it, if so and it's ok, I'll probably keep it

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Disconnect the old, put the new one in, install windows etc, test it to make sure its ok. Then connect the old one, see what happens and try and get your stuff off it, you can access it through windows disk management if it doesn't show up in my computer. - right click my computer > Manage > Storage > disk Management

Edmond

Ok, well it's not the HDD. It wouldn't even let me install Win7. Im gonna change the CPU gell and test the PSU. If it's not the CPU or power then I can only assume the motherboard is fucked?

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
^^ hate to be right :p

I'd say it's the RAM or PSU, Whats your full system specs and the 12V rail info on the PSU?

Could also be the gfx card, cpu or motherboard malfunctioning as well really, but I would put the motherboard first before the other 2.

Still sounds like RAM or PSU to me tbh, doubtful the CPU is over heating that quick unless there's no paste :p

Edit - Just saw you tried different ram and different slots? if it's not PSU, I'd look at getting a new mobo to test yep.

Edmond

Well after a lot of fucking about (and trying to get Deebs to answer my cries for help) it turned out to be the CPU

Its a AMD 4 core, and core 3 is fucked (currently have it switched off whilst waiting for a new one to come)

So thanks for all your help guys, and trying to solve my problems, much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom