RVR / Servers

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
ROFL

I thought people would be tired of this question by now ...

I know I am

Rellik

Fledgling Freddie
iam not
i find these topics amusing

especialy all the whine that comes with them! :touch:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Er wot happens if you've got the same name as someone else?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
You see the names something like:
<name>_of_Excalibur
or <name>_of_Prydwen

vintervargen

Banned
givez already

cant any mod start a poll about excal-pryd cluster? would be fun to see what ppl think.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
vintervargen said:
givez already

cant any mod start a poll about excal-pryd cluster? would be fun to see what ppl think.

you mean what the 2 or 3% of the total daoc community think?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Shanaia said:

Actually with the number of actives dwindling the people here at FH are becoming a greater percentage of the total playerbase rapidly (since many people still read and post here after going inactive). I believe its significantly more than 3% of the engslih server community that visit these boards regularely these days. Ofc, i might be wrong.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Shanaia said:
What's the percentage in most gallups anyway? 0.01% at the best? :p Besides I bet the percentage of Prydwen/Excal players replying would be 20%+.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
In the WoW vs Daoc poll 1400 people (or fh accounts) have voted, and even if it may not be the majority it's certainly a significant and representative part of the population.

Besides, most people who don't visit fh or goa's site often are rather low level and they wouldn't be affected or would do better with a possible merge.

I think you can safely assume that most of the high level long term daoc players do visit fh/goa's site at least once a week/2 weeks or so and polls stay up for much longer.

Tubie

Fledgling Freddie
so is excalibur being merged with Another server? yes or no?

Messiah

Fledgling Freddie
dont think they have even thought about mergin servers in europe yet so at the moment no but i reckon if they did merge server it would be more fun for excal+pyd on the downside alot of cross realming if it does go ahead

Tilda

Tubie said:
so is excalibur being merged with Another server? yes or no?
not going to happen any time soon.
As has been said in about 123497345 other threads, the populations are well above that of the servers that were clustered in the US. So theres no need for it atm.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Messiah said:
dont think they have even thought about mergin servers in europe yet so at the moment no but i reckon if they did merge server it would be more fun for excal+pyd on the downside alot of cross realming if it does go ahead
I dont think crossrealming would be any worse than its now - takes 8hours to swap server the last time I checked :| We would, however, have to buy 3 accounts (instead of 2 :p) to play all three realms in English on normal server effectively. I'm fairly sure that will be the reason we'll never see Excal+Pryd clustering and I'm glad about it :p

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy said:
I dont think crossrealming would be any worse than its now - takes 8hours to swap server the last time I checked :| We would, however, have to buy 3 accounts (instead of 2 :p) to play all three realms in English on normal server effectively. I'm fairly sure that will be the reason we'll never see Excal+Pryd clustering and I'm glad about it :p
I asked an in game GM about this and he said they will never merge excal and prydwen. They were concidering clustering the frontiers tho and the frontiers only. But they had not yet made any decisions, probably not even a formal discussion.

One can only hope for RvR zone clustering :>

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Zebolt said:
I asked an in game GM about this and he said they will never merge excal and prydwen. They were concidering clustering the frontiers tho and the frontiers only. But they had not yet made any decisions, probably not even a formal discussion.
Yeah, I was talking about clustering and as far as I know its Frontier-only in US too :p Still you would need 3 accounts to play all three realms in English on normal server effectively (= can play all realms without waiting 8 hours to swap it). New players can't even choose more than one realm on clustered-server (in other words if Prydwen and Excalibur gets clustered and you dont have any characters on Excal you have to buy new account or delete your Prydwen characters to play there :S).
Zebolt said:
One can only hope for RvR zone clustering :>
Because of the above reason I hope and believe it never happens :p It works on US/German/French-servers because there is enough servers to choose from though.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy said:
Yeah, I was talking about clustering and as far as I know its Frontier-only in US too :p Still you would need 3 accounts to play all three realms in English on normal server effectively (= can play all realms without waiting 8 hours to swap it). New players can't even choose more than one realm on clustered-server (in other words if Prydwen and Excalibur gets clustered and you dont have any characters on Excal you have to buy new account or delete your Prydwen characters to play there :S).
Ok, I was wrong about clustering been Frontiers-only:
Herald said:
Clustered servers will maintain separate versions of all other zones, including Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs zones. Players from other servers on the cluster can use the "travel agent" NPCs to migrate to another server, and then travel to that server's non-clustered zones.
But because of this...
Herald said:
There is a timer in place to prevent cross-realming characters. After logging a character into one realm on the cluster, you will have to wait eight hours (real world time) before being allowed to log into another realm on that same cluster.
... it really doesn't matter :p If I had characters on Excal (which I dont anymore) I would consider them worthless in clustered server.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Why would GOA care about the precious few hardcore RvR players when they are vastly outnumbered by the casual players?

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
A few things... first off we can't even do it til we get the 1.74 files from Mythic, then translate them then test them as well as seeing how clustering would effect OUR server set up as ours is different from Mythic and then take the patch live. Second, unless you buy a new sub once the servers are clustered you will only be able to play the realms you already play... meaning if you play Alb on one server and Mid on the other, even if you delete all your Mid or Alb classes you can't roll Hib. Third IF we do cluster any incoming players will ONLY be able to choose one realm to play which, in effect, gives us one server for new players.

You can whinge and complain all you want but everyone of those factors HAS to be taken into consideration before it is decided what we are going to do.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Fana said:
Actually with the number of actives dwindling

/who was as big as it has been in months last night...

are you not tired of playing the "OMG SERVERS ARE TEH DEAD!" record... I think it's broken btw.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
/who was as big as it has been in months last night...

are you not tired of playing the "OMG SERVERS ARE TEH DEAD!" record... I think it's broken btw.

Didnt know i had spammed this.

But seriously, am i wrong when i say we need more people? Right now its my single overwhelming concern for DAoC - i dont care about broken classes, relam balance, overwpowered classes, bugs, lag etc etc when i cant find people to play the game with. Tried getting a viable pickup rvr group in mid lately? Tried getting an exp group for a new characer? Its not impossible, but it will take most of your playtime, and much of the time wont happen at all. So yes, i think realm population is a very very legitimate concern, and no i cant say im tired of voicing that concern. 1400 players on primetime is *not* enough for viable gameplay.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
vintervargen said:
yeah, lets not cluster servers because then you cant pve as much!
Put yourself in a shoes of someone who has played both Excalibur and Prydwen actively and you might get my point :rolleyes: Currently we are getting 2/3 of the game in English (yes, that includes both PvE and RvR :S) and in clustered we would only get 1/3 which would suck (or 2/3 if you have characters on both servers and can happily wait 8hours to swap it :p).
Belomar said:
Why would GOA care about the precious few hardcore RvR players when they are vastly outnumbered by the casual players?
No idea what's your stance in this thing so which ones are able to wait 8hours to play two realms during the same day, hardcore or casual players? :p

30mins swap time would be bearable and still do the trick and clustering would only suck for new players (because of been limited to play only one realm on normal server in English).

vintervargen

Banned
Belomar said:

sometimes you are really biased belomar.

i can speak for excalibur when i say FG guilds dont really have a problem to have fun, some days its less good, some days its better.

but the casual gamers who want the rvr BG or CG to know where the keepaction is, are not having fun atm, because there are not enough people playing to make the big sieges fun (unless you are a warlock or scout).

so again, i believe it is in everyones good to cluster these servers.

about the one realm option - if people could actually RvR with their mains, be it FG or large scale rvr, they wont have the need to try out other realms.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
vintervargen said:
about the one realm option - if people could actually RvR with their mains, be it FG or large scale rvr, they wont have the need to try out other realms.
People have mains in both servers which they can't play in clustered server effectively. Oh, people dont need to try other realms but usually people want to do it and have been able to do it and should be able to do it in future too. Removing that possibility would be major "nerf" in the wrong place and like I said I would consider the characters on other server worthless.

Tilda

I dont know about other people, but although I have charachters on both hib pryd and alb excal, I only really play one at a time.
I dont find myself switching between the two servers willy-nilly. I'll generally go through a period of playing one and then decided one day oo i'll play on hib a bit now. I dont get sudden urges to "just go play prydwen before the ML raid starts" I dont see an 8 hour timer being an issue.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
I dont know about other people, but although I have charachters on both hib pryd and alb excal, I only really play one at a time.
I dont find myself switching between the two servers willy-nilly. I'll generally go through a period of playing one and then decided one day oo i'll play on hib a bit now. I dont get sudden urges to "just go play prydwen before the ML raid starts" I dont see an 8 hour timer being an issue.
I used to play both servers actively every day - log in to one server and if I found it dull I logged to another to see how things are there. With clustered server that's not possible. Currenly I only play on Prydwen (and US :p) so 8hours swap time isn't an issue to me but I do see it as an huge problem to many players - huge enough problem to vote with my wallet and leave if it ever happens. Besides, I dont see your Prydwen characters on your sig which could (note: could :p) mean you dont consider them "equal" to your Excal characters :cool:

Seriously, 8hours is simply overkill when 30mins would do the trick just as well. I do see the benefits of clustering but in my eyes its not fair thing to do - either find a way to get more players* or find a solution to cluster Prydwen with some German/French server, imo.

(* dont wait for German/French translation for faster patching could encourage people from German/French servers to roll on UK servers? :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom