RvR Old Frontier...

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
When I'm doing 'nothing' I think about stuff and this is the idea I would like to share with you guys.

New Frontier seems abit ZZZZZzzzzzz every night its the same thing over and over and over...

Morning shift EU time ofc

Albs takes keeps/towers during the day Fun Fun Fun

Evening shift EU time ofc

Mids/Hibs usually take keeps/towers in Alb and them having no port for the time played for most EU players. I am indeed only using my own experience on most times I play.

Constant bridge camping - hardly no roaming or when roaming theres nothing but fg's trampling over the smaller groups.

-------------------

Anyway I was thinking... Obviously will never happen...

If Mythic did for some strange reason go back to Old Frontier...

Emain was very busy with RvR but a hell of alot of fun, much more fun than NF imo. Also the fact that Hadrians was mostly empty but you found many, many, many soloers and the odd full group roaming. Even odins back then was busy with soloers, small man groups and full groups. You even had the XP gankers - even though it was lame to kill lowbies but it added the edge to xp'ing back then (if you know what I mean).

Now to me that was prolly the best part of Old Frontier where you had the option to port to different realms...

my suggestions... for OLD FRONTIER

Teleportation within own Realm to save people running from buffbots to get action but with a maximum you can teleport to keeps/towers if they put towers in ofc.

Keeps = 100 players max (or what ever sensible number)
Towers = 16 players max (or what ever sensible number)

I did have alot more but as I'm at work I have forgotten lol :) damn work emails!!!!

With everything else just keep as it was... but add the above in...

I guess I'm just wishful thinking and this will never happen hehe :)

I for one really miss OLD FRONTIER!!! :)

Everz

FH is my second home
NF should have been OF with the Milegates made destroyable, keep bugs fixed and maybe extended emain so there weren't as many choke points, with ports to the keep before the main zone (Crim in hibs case) made portable to if the host realms own it.

NF is a tradegy currently, when they got rid of old bridges it died.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
OF would be a major step backwards, too many chokepoints, NF is better in every way and better looking too imo.

Anyone who thinks OF > NF is blinded by nostalgia, OF would be wayyy too slow paced for the modern daoc player

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
OF would be a major step backwards, too many chokepoints, NF is better in every way and better looking too imo.

Anyone who thinks OF > NF is blinded by nostalgia, OF would be wayyy too slow paced for the modern daoc player

/agree! and have yourself a rep!

old.Eyez

Can't get enough of FH

100% agree with u, even tho i was one of the rp whores in the best rvr guilds on Excalibur.. but what did OF have to offer except for fg vs fg ?

Nothing! Keep/relic system was silly, and only hib frontier there was used 90% of the time, the leet 8mans ran Odin's if they couldnt beat the zerg in Emain.. So there wasnt really anything to offer for an average player in OF!

With NF we got the PvE players in the frontier so we could get some easy rps :)

So stop dreaming about OF! Ofc i did like it, but remember the good bards/healers used radar anyway so i dont really miss OF :)

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH

Spot on

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

OF had one thing going for it tho, the fights around the MG's when there was an RR...

Lag and server crashes aside, i really REALLY miss those days when you'd have 600+ people fighting at the relic keep...

My Voodoo 3 card were howling in pain sure, but i LOVED those fights... :)

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
The coastguarding isn't any better than the milegate camps you could do in OF...

Now they can manage to run somewhere safe before you hit them or even when you are beating on them.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Old bridges and the old keeps would be great , i hate the current keeps they are far too easy to take.

bainteor

Banned

Then what is it that draws players to OF shards? Nostalgia? Doubt it, otherwise Uthgard would be dead by now.

So what if there were chokepoints in OF? It made RvR fun, in my opinion at least.

NF just seems to be clogged up with pointless PvE areas and towers, keeps on an island are no-go zones, the terrain is not as good. Mythic just seemed too concerned with improving siege-warfare rather than playing to DAoC's strengths.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
The chokepoints are the milegates, the mechanics of OF are too slow its all posted above actually if you take the time to read it, i have a rr5 inf on Uthgard and the 1 week after i templated it i was #1 on rps at 300,000k lwrp at 700 rps a kill.

Like i said too slow paced, and there are no decent shards atm, OF is still on live servers if you wanna go check it out on hib port to shannon estuary, walk over to the porter to your right and click drium cain and as you port hold down your strafe right key.

Alot of the people in here saying OF was better dont play atm so meh, pointless argueing, my heyday in daoc wasnt in SI but around the time of Catacombs when i rolled my shade and i too miss old bridges, new ones are too caster friendly, especially as a silly 7 foot elph

bainteor

Banned
The chokepoints are the milegates, the mechanics of OF are too slow its all posted above actually if you take the time to read it, i have a rr5 inf on Uthgard and the 1 week after i templated it i was #1 on rps at 300,000k lwrp at 700 rps a kill.

I do not see a problem with RvR being slow paced. It brings back the sence of achievement when attaining Realm Ranks - does it not take about 1/4 of the time now to earn the same amount of Realm Points?

Punishment said:
Like i said too slow paced, and there are no decent shards atm, OF is still on live servers if you wanna go check it out on hib port to shannon estuary, walk over to the porter to your right and click drium cain and as you port hold down your strafe right key.

Again, a lot of casual players such as myself enjoyed RvR at slow pace. You may call it a failure to adapt to modern times, but I find it thoroughly frustrating to be nuked to death in under 3 seconds - it's why I play Thidranki.

Punishment said:
Alot of the people in here saying OF was better dont play atm so meh, pointless argueing, my heyday in daoc wasnt in SI but around the time of Catacombs when i rolled my shade and i too miss old bridges, new ones are too caster friendly, especially as a silly 7 foot elph

That is a fair statement. It is just when New Frontiers was released I simply did not want to spend time in 50 RvR anymore. That is the essence of it, I just didn't enjoy it anymore and I am convinced that a lot of people share my sentiments.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Im not getting into a superarguement over it with someone who has been away from the game for some time, it's my opinion many agree, take it or leave it

Logi

Part of the furniture
Im not getting into a superarguement over it with someone who has been away from the game for some time, it's my opinion many agree, take it or leave it

everz has been away for awhile now but you converse with him about daoc?

bainteor

Banned
As I said, I didn't intend to start an argument, I was merely expressing an opinion. I am sorry if it did not come across that way.

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH

I get killed by a realm guard when I try get to OF :( How do I get into the zone?

megadave

I am a FH squatter

playing OF on uthgard i have to disagree wholeheartedly

relics especially are so much better, takes actual planning and coordination (or alarm clocks) rather than just zerging keeps then zerging some shit platform

Everz

FH is my second home
Yeh, back in OF you had to plan a relic raid, who remembers jokkee's 4am raid that crashed the server? The planning that went into to any RR back in OF was insane, the message of an RR would get around the alliances bout a day before hand then the launch of an 'attack' would begin... was in Clan Bearhawk /as so was always one of the first to hear :D.

They had a meaning and played a pivotal role in the game rather then being pish that they are now, OF was the don that is a fact and NF was a death nail into DAoC. It all does depend on when you 'heyday' was, mine was ToA OF thus I view it with great vigor as being the superior time, after Catacombs the game died for me and was nothing more then a fleeting interest.

Its one of the things that would bring me back as the current layout makes me cringe, it's to many hotspots, you can complain at emain being the way it is but the current NF layout does not differ and infact forces action into much smaller areas.

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
Its one of the things that would bring me back as the current layout makes me cringe, it's to many hotspots, you can complain at emain being the way it is but the current NF layout does not differ and infact forces action into much smaller areas.

That's just wrong.. the action is much more spread out in NF. In old emain you'd have most of the action around the milegates and between em, not a big zone really. Same with hadrians and odins.. most action was around milegates.

The thing that changed the game a lot was region chat and the warmap.. I didnt/dont like those.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
The war map should never have been introduced, I agree with that. You can't do sneaky attacks and plan relics anymore since an entire realm will know before you capture a keep/tower where it used to be a single guild and then alliance. And agree with you as well on the region chat. It is usually just used for people who want to trade some stuff or spam. Remove it from the rvr areas, but keep it in pve zones.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Region chat is a pain it just faciltates zerging, like a bad duo will spam they were killed by you at such a point and the rp farm ends as you either get zerged by mos9 archers or you move

Genedril

Part of the furniture
OF had it's good points and it's bad points. The thing is that w/o the rw guff people would spread out and look for action and not all port to the same bleeding space and clusterf**k it out of existence. Yes old Emain was busy with pro 8v8's or zergs but people didn't always go there. The only thing I've ever found that was similar was the island on Dyvet. Often people in there doing there thang rather than door stepping or coast guarding.

NF bridges are crap and the keeps are worse than that but the terrain is acutally pretty decent for using for fights - if only the rw didn't attract people to your fights like flies to the proverbial.

Ooh and these global channels make me want to inflict ever lasting pain on some of it's users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom