RvR movies - what have they ever done for us?

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Ok no essay here :D just a debating point.

This house says "I is Chuck Norris" movies are bad for the community.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:

i dont get it :(

Phake

Fledgling Freddie
if its a movie from a good group .. i guess education .. and well its fun to watch :p

if its a bad movie i just turn it off and delete it ... so that dun hurt me either.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
some bad movies are really fun, who can remember that savage movie made by kthxbye or whoever, worst group and worst savage ever! very funny though.

Lomme

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
some bad movies are really fun, who can remember that savage movie made by kthxbye or whoever, worst group and worst savage ever! very funny though.
hehe, ye :p also that american merc who kept spamming his styles, with /cancelstyle on ^^

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Ok The "I is Chuck Norris" type of movie, which is almost exclusively the only type of movie we get, reinforces an unrealistic view of the gaming experience because they show nothing but 'I wins'.

People are then led into the mistaken aspiration that if they are a solo nightshade or a solo FG that they should be winning more than they do. "I is Chuck Norris" type of movies are therefore bad for the community because they generate unrealisable expectations.

spook

Fledgling Freddie
People are then led into the mistaken aspiration that if they are a solo nightshade or a solo FG that they should be winning more than they do. "I is Chuck Norris" type of movies are therefore bad for the community because they generate unrealisable expectations.

I haven't viewed the mentioned video, but I hope that people watching it remembers to look at the source with criticism. And also grabs hold of reality and thinks a bit further than "olol, he plays 'dat game and pwns so will I after 1 month of pve and then pug my way to rr12!"

It may be too much to ask from people, but I'm somewhat getting tired of people that don't seem to be able to think things through, consider consequences of their actions and try get a view on things from a different angle than their own.

Phew, glad I'm never gonna be subs. teacher again, first time taught me more about people than I was able to teach the children about their schoolstuff.

rah

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:
Ok The "I is Chuck Norris" type of movie, which is almost exclusively the only type of movie we get, reinforces an unrealistic view of the gaming experience because they show nothing but 'I wins'.

carebear

maybe you should focus your energy and time on beeing a hardcore feminist instead

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Some, but very few, are great fun to watch.

I don't enjoy watching a group of rr10+ running around wiping everything in sight. Some of the solo movies are great; Haxen's movie for example.

Fyric

Fledgling Freddie
It very much depends on the movie, Dem Hibbies movie rocked imo, was great fun watching, but its very a very long time since i've enjoyed a daoc movie that was good and fun to watch, not just silly, like kthxbye movie for one, that one was funny.. but..

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Raven said:
lol throwing stones while in a glass house, but either way
As you didnt bother reading the thread about the movie:
Chronictank said:
firstly it was a internal video, it was never supposed to be here therefore never supposed to be seen by anyone on this particular forum.
Secondly he was new to the class, i asked people in the guild to fraps/gamecam their play so they can have the footage commented on. He thought it would be funny if he added a few comments and random fights to make it slightly more entertaining
Obviously its been leaked here..

As for worst grp, we went toe to toe with rr8+ grps and for the most part put up a fight. Won some, lost some but thats how it goes (Except VF grp, sorry i keep forgetting the guild name, who handed our asses to us the majority of the time). And the whole guild started from rr2 and ended on rr6+ depending on peoples play times in full group rvr which our toons were created from scratch for. You could count all the guilds who have done the same on 1 hand.
I'd love to see you try wipe the likes of la, AD, VF's grp when they have all their toys up (in NF pretty much every fight) when the collective rr of a new grp is 16.

Back on topic, i personally watch videos before i roll a new class to see how best to spec/play or just for entertainment value :)

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
imo its good that movies are coming out .. take me for eg. when i was toa'ing my NS i d/led a few assassin vids to get tips and see what not to do's ;)
u can learn a lot from the vids and tbh i want to make a movie sometime to maybe show others a thing or 2 or maybe just so i can get criticism and learn more and be a better shade yet again :p
other movies like maelstrom etc show healer side and u can see tactics from that side of fg vs fg .. vf ofc shows a lot of different view points in rvr which is cool etc ..
:bazbeer:

Arumos

Fledgling Freddie
far to many movies of 8v8 and 1v1 imo. If I had the comp and connection I'd do this myself but a movie of big keep/tower defenses where hordes of enemies are held off. massive deathspams etc etc :) ideally from a pbaers/aoers pov. Fed up of the boring support pov.

dem hibbies and the 'for science' guild zerg farms were very entertaining and a good example of what we need more of! :)

edit: like chronic said they are also a good inspiration for rolling new class

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Blizzards movie taught me to use charge ALOT more since he had it up nearly every fight.

Conclusion: if charge isnt up, i wont fight ;)

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
any video with ventchat has huge value for later, hearing everyones voices again is going to put a smile on my face for the rest of my life :)

athom

One of Freddy's beloved
as vf said, its great memories. not just for the guy who made it, but everyone you fight and is visible in the movie... dont mind being in a movie where i get killed a few times.... its their movie. the reason you make a movie, is to show when you play daoc at your best. why make a movie where u get farmed then, i dont get it :p Its still fun to watch and i think people on this server arent so stupid that they think 1 grp or guy never dies in rvr. besides that, its fun to see how other people play their chars and maybe you could learn something. daoc is more than just mashing the right style or using st heal :)

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:

I use movies to evaluate and improve my playstyle. For example I developed a special kind of healing style after watching some Maelstrom clips. I also like watching myself playing because it allows me to analyse fights and see if I should react the way I reacted or should maybe have something differnt.

For me it isnt the outcome of the fights that matters but who people play and the tactics they use.

I don't make "I is Chuck Norris" movies either. This is one of the 1st clips I put together when we revived our guild. I believe it contains as many won fights as it contains lost ones and I still enjoy watching it cause it shows some obvious mistakes I used to make back then.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
I find 99% of solo movies and movies where I dont know the enemies utterly boring but always fun to see myself getting pwned in a movie, or movie made by people you often play with.

However most enjoyable are the fg movies where the group is something special, and beats the enemy groups which other similiar grps "always" lose vs. Tho, only 2 such movies come to mind really: dem hibbies, and nolby toa warr movie. Think you could add PE old frontiers movies to the list, but maybe I'm a bit biased on that.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Watching a movie could be merely for the entertainment value some of the movies provide.

Could also be as an inspiration, often you see someone play a class very well and get tempted to try rolling one yourself.

And, it is always nice to be able to look back to certain eras of daoc on movies, for example watching movies recorded in OF gives many good memories.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Ok to summarise the discussion so far:

For the motion (sounds like a toilet related effort).
a) reinforces an unrealistic view of the gaming experience because they show nothing but 'I wins'.
b) they can be repetitive and boring especially the group pawnage ones
c) there is only a few types of them and we need more variation like big fights

Against
a) Er noes I get good tips from "Chuck Norris"!
- they can help when you roll a new class
- you can see group tactics
- they help me think about how I am reacting in fights and if I can improve things
b) I get good tips from examples of awful play.
c) grow up and stop being feminst (if you knew what I am writing about now you would see the irony of this)
d) people should learn to be realistic and take the movies with a pinch of salt
e) hey fuck off they can be fun!
f) its nice hearing the voices when peeps are playing
g) it helps us remember
h) sometimes when you get a group that achieves something special thats cool
i) the entertainment you feminist freak
j) inspiration, and temptation to try something new

some cool points imo. I personally love movies and they are a big help in learning and reflecting on the game. I do think though that they could be used to maybe challenge some of the things you feel are getting you down, they could also be used to challenge boundaries by getting peeps to not only to reflect on how to pwn better but perhaps to reflect on how they relate to others in the same space?

;)

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i enjoy pretty much every group video thats made, unless its extremely bad/boring play, solo videos doesent intrest me that much, unless they are very well made, seems to me its 50% luck 40% itesm 10% player in those heh.

Funniest tho is watching enemy POV of those you have fought, seeing how you affect the other grp is really fun, especially when you remember the fights.

The movies i make myself is mostly for saving, so i can look back and tell my grandchildren when they play wow47 how we played "when i was young", plus its nice to get feedback from others, be it positive or negative :)

Plus you really spot mistakes when you recrod yourself, and look at it later :eek:

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
pfff.. so, i made this sorcerer for nothing? It's not that great!? Hmpf.. guess i'll continue my infil then >)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
8v8 are the only vids worth watching frommy point of view. I dotn get anything out of solo vids, simply because i dont solo. I dont know how it works when you do 1v1 fights, what to look after etc... not the most important details that an everyday soloer can see :p i enjoy it mostly, some boring - but there's alot of good 8v8's that i watch regularly because i enjoy it.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
I like vids that shows non-fotm classes can perform very well even though ppl usually claim they are "gimp"

Frozensolid

One of Freddy's beloved
With both my vids i was really surprised by the ammount of positive replies i got on forums & ingame. Up to the point of french ppl pming me on glaston about the movies.
Hearing that other people liked (in various degrees) to watch the things that ive made, thats my big reward for making them. (Maybe even for another one somewhere in the future :>)
I personally love to watch other movies when they're interesting. Learned alot watching vid for years from all sorts of fights, from PoVs from alot of different classses ;)

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
I personally like solo or duo vids more than 8vs8 for obvious reasons; i don't group much myself. :p
It can be fun to watch how others play a class i have and maybe even pick up some new tricks.
Also fun to see people play classes i don't have myself and what can be done with them by a good player.

I don't like the "Chuck Norris" type of solo vids though, where all they show are the fights where they pwn everything and never even come close to losing.
Lots of good, close and challenging fights with both wins and losses are the best.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Not many moveins I have liked tbh, after seeing a couple of 1 vs 1 and group fights you get fed up tbh.

Have to say if to see a movie it should be something funny or big happening ingame.

1 vs 1 is just ZZzzz to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom