Rural broadband going bat shit cray

Nate

FH is my second home
So ever since broadband became a thing I've lived in an area where the Internets had been held together by plastic cups and string, but no more! The powers that be have invented wireless broadband in that out in the sticks area where technology companies just see country yokels that couldn't possibly need fast broadband, that's within 50 miles of London. It's in place at the Church in a number of villages around my area and came to my village recently, works with dishes and bounces off repeaters attached to peoples homes in the village. Means we don't need to have a telephone line for the Internets anymore which is a plus because it seems quite pointless to have one now. So anyway. It sounds good on paper but I'll see what its like in practice soon as I put in an order.

Has anyone here got the same? What's your view?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not the same but also live in the sticks...though I have 76mb cable!

Basically they had to replace all the phone lines in the village because they were so old and had been cut through numerous times, flooded, dug up, exploded etc that it worked out to be pretty much the same cost to install the fibre.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I imagine it will raise your ping and may be subject to adverse weather like thunder storms. But other than that should be fine

Poag

m00?
MESH networks are fairly pimp.

However they also suffer greatly from link congestion. If the link from your village to the next village has two possible routes, and a tree grows over one of them to make it degrade its a bit meh. The principle is sound, the tech works and is used as part of battlefield comms in development, soliders have a mesh unit which connects them to the network...its all super geeky.

But yeah if you have no other choice, it works.

However, BT have previously gone into village that had mesh networks, put DSL in and the mesh network has collapsed with people leaving. This happened in a couple of places iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom