Routers

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i got an aging netgear router that does all my wireless schizzle too.

Just wondered if the tech has come on in the last few years.

Its got 5ghz wireless and all. But have the routers become stronger with signal strength and handling traffic and all?

If so what routers are the business now?

Cheers

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Something that you can put a third party ROM on if you want more control. I don't know how far the tech has improved (it probably has for range, signal strength and speed) but I've got a Cisco E4200 with DD-WRT on it and it's great.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No idea tbh. Personally, I'd always go for one which can be flashed - these all look good (I mean specs-wise - that Asus one looks awful aesthetically).

Embattle

FH is my second home

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Food for thought

Lots of potential in theoretical lab environments ... not much in real world?

I guess thats what he is getting at.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have had the Asus RT-AC5300 for nearly 2 years and that is amazing, easily the best router I've had. New GT version (MESH support) on the market now. Only issue I ever had technically was with DNS after an update which was easily sorted out. I like the parental control features in Asus and that I can adjust radio power settings, not sure you get that in EU/US versions, think it is clamped to a lower max output on the Tx.

Comparison of the R8000P vs AC5300, looks like they are on par and the R8000P just a little ahead of the Asus non GT version.

R8000P looks good.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
shopping

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I would do but i just moved house and am using powerline stuff for that. Cause walls are thick and i dont want to drill holes.

And its hard to connect a cat5 cable to ipads and phones and wireless security cameras etc

Embattle

FH is my second home
Asus Review - ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder

I currently run cables where it is easy enough to and wireless where it isn't, I will eventually use a slightly higher mix towards cables in certain areas such as locations that currently have many static devices such as TVs, Consoles, etc just to take them away from wireless, although 802.11ax which is due next year will open up speeds and reduce congestion.

Gwadien

If yout device does not have a cat port then is there any point having it?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If yout device does not have a cat port then is there any point having it?
The router still has to handle the cable traffic. And the multi out stuff will still be an issue with loads of cabled traffic.

And you are just being facetious anyway.

Gwadien

The router still has to handle the cable traffic. And the multi out stuff will still be an issue with loads of cabled traffic.

And you are just being facetious anyway.

No I'm not, I've installed a cat port onto my phone.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Its a mobile phone why wuld you want to lock it to a cable?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Mobile phones are still pretty new tech in Leicester, bear with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom