Router Suggestions

SCOT|Highlander

Fledgling Freddie
Lo all,

Finally getting BB in a few months, I'm looking for suggestions for a quality router.

Requirements - Built in Modem, 4 port Switch

I want to get something that's stable and to make sure it doesn't add any latency to my Quake playing.

Another point - Port Throttling, does it work and is it any good? The reason why I ask is :-
My girlfriend uses another PC on my network and I don't want her to steal my bandwidth :twak: She uses netmeeting and I want to give her say 256k down/100k up, I'm hoping that by limiting her bandwidth that it's not going to interfere with my gaming.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
SCOT|Highlander

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
SCOT|Highlander said:
Lo all,

Finally getting BB in a few months, I'm looking for suggestions for a quality router.

Requirements - Built in Modem, 4 port Switch

I want to get something that's stable and to make sure it doesn't add any latency to my Quake playing.

Another point - Port Throttling, does it work and is it any good? The reason why I ask is :-
My girlfriend uses another PC on my network and I don't want her to steal my bandwidth :twak: She uses netmeeting and I want to give her say 256k down/100k up, I'm hoping that by limiting her bandwidth that it's not going to interfere with my gaming.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
SCOT|Highlander

Hahahaha.. Good to see that romance isn't dead. :) To be honest, I wouldn't have thought it'd effect your gaming too much. You might be lucky to find this sort of thing on a budget router anyway.

I use a D-Link DSL 504 (4 port switch + ADSL modem). Cheap and, from what I can gather from previous threads, comparitively nasty (When compared to more expensive routers), but it will certainly do the job.

I get pings of roughly 20 - 30 through Nildram when playing UT, so latency is not really an issue with the thing.

You can pick one up now for around £70.00 which, in my mind anyway, makes it a bit of a bargain. It's very easy to configure as well. Don't expect to be able to do anything too clever with it though.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I have a dlink 814+ (i think thats the right model number) which is a switch, wirelessap and modem router thingy. Its ok but needed many firmware updates to get working reliably. I have a netgear 804 (the ufo/pie dish shaped one) back at my folks house which we never get any trouble with.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'd recommend the DrayTek 2600 series, I've got the 2600W myself and it rawks.

They've got a router with 802.11g onboard which has true port throttling, prepare to spend over £150 on it though.

Alternatively, there are a number of software solutions which could do that for you.

Xav

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I also have a dg814, and it has never been any problem. One thingtho, if Im playing a game and someone on the other pc downloads a picture whilst browsing the web, and i mean simply opening a page, it does increase my ping momentarily.
On the other hand 2 people playing say q3 is perfectly ok, with no problems at all.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Deadmanwalking said:
Netgear DG834!

Have to second that recommendation, haven't had a single problem with mine, easy to set up and plenty of functions.

SCOT|Highlander

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
I'd recommend the DrayTek 2600 series, I've got the 2600W myself and it rawks.

They've got a router with 802.11g onboard which has true port throttling, prepare to spend over £150 on it though.

Alternatively, there are a number of software solutions which could do that for you.

Xav

Yeah I'm looking at the 2600G already, it's about £180 but I'm happy to pay that for a quality bit of kit.

The software solutions look ok but I'd rather be able to do it with the router, I'd rather have less processes on the PC.

Well I'll think about it for a while, I'm still considering getting a second line and having 2 BB connections, 1MB for me and 512kb for the gf :D When you are going from ISDN + 2 Anytime accounts everything seems cheap

Cheers
SCOT|Highlander

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
SCOT|Highlander said:
Yeah I'm looking at the 2600G already, it's about £180 but I'm happy to pay that for a quality bit of kit.

The software solutions look ok but I'd rather be able to do it with the router, I'd rather have less processes on the PC.

Well I'll think about it for a while, I'm still considering getting a second line and having 2 BB connections, 1MB for me and 512kb for the gf :D When you are going from ISDN + 2 Anytime accounts everything seems cheap

Cheers
SCOT|Highlander
It's definately a quality router. TedTheDog, one of Freddy's founders has a Draytek and loves it. I've yet to find someone with a genuine gripe about their kit.

Xav

Athena

Fledgling Freddie
router..

I bought a Netgear DG814 and it seemed like a good opt, came highly rec
ommened etc.. but each time I had to re-configure something I ended up having to call NetGear support for 30 mins which tbh I wasn't happy about.

athie

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Athena said:
I bought a Netgear DG814 and it seemed like a good opt, came highly rec
ommened etc.. but each time I had to re-configure something I ended up having to call NetGear support for 30 mins which tbh I wasn't happy about.

athie

*cough* Gingerness *cough*

;)

To be fair however that is the first i have heard problems with it. And i also found the netgear support to be excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom