Router Diagnostics

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have a problem with my ADSL at the moment (its dead basically) and I can't for the life of me work out where the problem is; I have a BTYahoo account and I use a D-Link DSL G604T wireless router/modem (although I use it 'wired' pretty much exclusively). Yesterday morning I lost browser and email, but for a while still had IM, then that went too. I've done all the usual router reboot stuff and the diagnostic page says I'm connected and everything's funky, green lights across the board - except I'm not. I've been on to BT, but they're about as much use as a chocolate teapot; they've done a line test and a few other tests and reckon everything's good from their end (and since my router is unsupported I won't get any direct help on that from them). I actually did a ping test from the router (I pinged an external game server) and that worked. So I'm stuck. There's probably some 'broadband 101' stuff that I'm missing, but any advice would be appreciated.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ping's can be deceiving for testing. Don't know much about that router. Are you getting any CRC error's on the ADSL interface? Is the line dropping frequently?

Do you have an old router or modem lying around you can test it with? BT will continue to claim it's your fault until you can prove otherwise, even if it is thier problem on the line.

Else it could be problems with your computer, not likely but... I always keep a knoppix cd lying around to test for that kind of thing.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Looks like the router's knacked. I've managed to get hold of a USB modem and its working OK. Can't blame BT then, arse.

Athan

Resident Freddy
DaGaffer said:
Yesterday morning I lost browser and email, but for a while still had IM, then that went too.

I actually did a ping test from the router (I pinged an external game server) and that worked.

That first line made me think "DNS lookup problem"...

... that ping of a game server, was it by IP or hostname ? Maybe the router simply somehow failed to get valid/working name servers and/or pass them on to the internal machine(s) ? Are you using DHCP/Dynamic IP Allocation for the internal machine(s) ? If so they may well pick up their DNS servers via DHCP as well.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom