Question Router and switches

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Quick (and probably dumb) question. I have my router in the living room right next to the telly and I currently have the TV, Sky+, BD Player, ATV and RPi running connected by Cat5 to a switch which then connects to the router. I've also put my NAS down there, but as there are no more slots on the switch I've connected it straight to the router. Can I connect two switches to the router? (it would help with some wiring rerouting I'm doing) I assume I can but I just wanted to check.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
It kind of depends on the router, Gaff, or you could just get another switch and daisy-chain the two switches together. They don't really break the bank these days I guess.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What I thought. I actually have a spare switch anyway. Should make things tidier.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
if the switches have something called an "uplink port" or words to that effect, use that one to connect them because that's what it's for.

Syri

FH is my second home
Some switches (and routers, though quite rare in these) have an uplink port, that can be switched, or will automatically switch, to let you link two switches together, and expand the network. If you have already used the uplink port, or it doesn't have one, just get a crossover cable, as opposed to a regular cat 5 patch cable, and use that to connect the two switches. That should get them talking to each other and get everything on the same network. If you're using an uplink port, you can just use a regular patch cable, just saves you having to use a crossover cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom