Games Rome II: Total War

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
On first impressions I really like it! Got a few hours in last night. First campaign is as Rome to get the hang of things then I plan on playing through as the Iceni. It feels much bigger than previous games. Some of the micro management, traits and whatnot, might get a bit annoying later on when you have lots of armies but just needs getting used to.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
I was positively surprised! Much of my problems with Empire Total War has been adressed and I like the new trait system and RPG element where your generals and armies can be developed and improved in various way. Seems to have alot more content also.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
after playing through the prologue i am enjoying my first campaign, quite happy to see the AI actually attacking (and being a little sneaky too, or am i just stoopid? :) )

my ancient PC is struggling with the amount of factions though, i dread pressing end turn as it can take 3-4 minutes to go through them all

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I was positively surprised! Much of my problems with Empire Total War has been adressed and I like the new trait system and RPG element where your generals and armies can be developed and improved in various way. Seems to have alot more content also.

i like the fact that the "army banner" levels up, and if the army is wiped out you can reform the "legacy" and keep the upgrades for the Legions

and the limit to armies in the field works aswell

just need a good way to keep squalor down :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
One thing that confused me, the tutorial gave me a naval battle when I had to capture that town on the coast very early on on my first play, long story short I died shortly after taking the town.

Second play through I wasn't given a naval battle/ships to take the town.

Bug or just a random thing?

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Half of my empire is in rebellion every second turn, I even lowered taxes :(

Just means my damage control army has to slaughter some silly peasants every now and then :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Half of my empire is in rebellion every second turn, I even lowered taxes :(

Just means my damage control army has to slaughter some silly peasants every now and then :)

The plebs need order!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You need to Romanise people more I suppose, not got a massive way in but had a slaves revolt before I turned it off last night, their army looks fucking huge though and on an island, not entirely sure how I am going to manage that one. Will need to stop invading somewhere and move an army to retake the city.

It certainly seems that you can't just rampage around the map taking everything in site just because you have a bigger army.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Most of my cities are of roman culture though I think. In the overview I think political instability was the main factor cited as responsible for the unhappiness, along with taxes and squalor. Maybe i'll have to send my dignitary around to balance things out, im not totally sure what affects political instability or how I influence it. I like all these features though, the game most certaintly has more depth than ever.

Mabs

try to avoid upgrading buildings

many Squalors = many angry peons

research the suppression stuff to offset it asap

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I caved in and bought it although my pc struggles to run it - I must say I like the way that you have to take Italy first, as opposed to the old one where it was magically unified.

Mabs

its chugging a LOT on some peoples machines, theyre going to patch it, quote "every friday for the immediate future" starting in 2 days, so will see

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Running it on a pretty decent PC, but the wait for next turn process is taking longer and longer

My house keeps becoming victims of political intrigue and shenanigans. My leading faction member, a proud general about to invade Carthage, was attempted assasinated and even though he managed to survive he had to retire in disgrace. Another went full-tilt mode and wanted to go on some sort of deranged solo boat trip to a far away land to show off roman architecture, lol.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well that's a good start. I just lost the 1st prologue battle / tutorial due to idling outside the city for too long. :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
The prologue is hard. I take the town on the coast and it just all goes down hill.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
The prologue is hard. I take the town on the coast and it just all goes down hill.
yup. But the fight before i manage to wipe them with an heroic victory. 1 cavalry unit as bait to get thoose spear men away then rest comming from the side.

Mabs

i spent a while teching up for the tutorial fights,.. some guy found a bug - the general died at age 203 and you cant replace him, so dont take too long :eek:

Mabs

right now ive learned which way is up:

LF someone to do some coop campaign with , want to see how it performs online etc.. so anyone interested, make a noise like a dying giraffe

Aada

Part of the furniture
yup. But the fight before i manage to wipe them with an heroic victory. 1 cavalry unit as bait to get thoose spear men away then rest comming from the side.

That's easy it's just when the advisor goes '' well that's it from me you are on you're own now'' I just feel the tutorial could be longer.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I started again now that I have got my head round a few things. I think if you keep an eye on each city and make sure any new buildings are within tolerance for squalor it's OK, you can get away with a bit of squalor so long as you don't start losing happiness and even then you can have squalor for a bit and then demolish a building.

It's all about managing growth. Plenty of food > population growth > city growth > more buildings > etc

The sea battles are still a pain, never been able to work them out properly and always just overkill fleets and auto resolve.

Got lucky on my second play through and the city states on the Sicily island were held by minor factions (they were Carthage the first time) so took them quickly for the nice mission pay out, worth doing early if you can.

Oh and bugger the tutorial, you are better off just playing a few campaign modes and taking your time. Learn why things start to go wrong and correct them!

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
I see the AI is still very fond of moving a thousand one-unit stacks pointlessly around the map and refuses to make any kind of solid army. The way fleets work now is a bit different from what i am used to, haven't really gotten around to use them much, they are just ... floating around :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Same with fleets, completed the prologue finally.

Started a campaign earlier as Rome, just took the 2 settlements north/north east of Rome.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
So I finally man up to push back the barbarians that have been amassing near my northern border in Italy and I send my most valuable army with experienced veterans and a long legacy of battles to siege a town. Turns out the barbarian forces get reinforced and counter attack. Thinking I can deal with the albeit greater numbers but not very refined force I line up my forces and start the battle, 2 minutes in after some light skirmishes and maneuvers I suddenly get a message saying "your men are wavering" followed by a "decisive defeat" message even before my main force has engaged in combat! DAFUQ!

Mabs

So I finally man up to push back the barbarians that have been amassing near my northern border in Italy and I send my most valuable army with experienced veterans and a long legacy of battles to siege a town. Turns out the barbarian forces get reinforced and counter attack. Thinking I can deal with the albeit greater numbers but not very refined force I line up my forces and start the battle, 2 minutes in after some light skirmishes and maneuvers I suddenly get a message saying "your men are wavering" followed by a "decisive defeat" message even before my main force has engaged in combat! DAFUQ!

did you get agent debuffed before hand ?

Aada

Part of the furniture

LOLZ

Mabs

ive discovered my new favourite thing; Gladiators with upgrades, hello 100+ melee attack rating

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Can anybody explain to me why other nations won´t trade with me? Even though our relationship is okaj, and my forces are stronger...
even with a proper payment they still refuse... ? why they no wanne trade wif me:(((

Mabs

Can anybody explain to me why other nations won´t trade with me? Even though our relationship is okaj, and my forces are stronger...
even with a proper payment they still refuse... ? why they no wanne trade wif me:(((

who are you ? rome ?
who are you at war with, or been at war with ?
you trading with their enemies ?
what difficulty you on ? might have a modifier

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
did you get agent debuffed before hand ?

By champions? I am not sure, maybe :eek:

I am hoping it was a bug, my 1500 man army lost 30 casualities before comprehensively routed while enemy lost 300 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom