Reusing Windows Key

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi,

I have just dug out my very old Acer Aspire One. It is a funny little early notebook thing, with a 7 or 8 inch low res screen and an Atom processor. When I got it the OS was the very rubbish Win 7 Starter, which I didn't upgrade until Win 10 came out and I found that I could then get a full copy Win 10 Home on it. It was always slow just about chugging along, and I stopped using it years ago (the clock when I just fired it up was still set to May 2015).

I have managed to dig out the Windows product ID, and the installed key using a script I found, and am wondering if I could reuse these on a new build PC, or whether that'll never work?

If not then can anyone think of a use I could put it to? I'm considering taking anything non essential off it and plugging it into a set of speakers in my kitchen as a sort of music/ podcast player, but open to more creative ideas? /

Thanks

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi,

I have just dug out my very old Acer Aspire One. It is a funny little early notebook thing, with a 7 or 8 inch low res screen and an Atom processor. When I got it the OS was the very rubbish Win 7 Starter, which I didn't upgrade until Win 10 came out and I found that I could then get a full copy Win 10 Home on it. It was always slow just about chugging along, and I stopped using it years ago (the clock when I just fired it up was still set to May 2015).

I have managed to dig out the Windows product ID, and the installed key using a script I found, and am wondering if I could reuse these on a new build PC, or whether that'll never work?

If not then can anyone think of a use I could put it to? I'm considering taking anything non essential off it and plugging it into a set of speakers in my kitchen as a sort of music/ podcast player, but open to more creative ideas? /

Thanks

I'd say you have nothing to lose by just trying it... if it fails at the 'Windows activation' stage call MS and explain - in my experience they're usually pretty helpful.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm sure they'll switch it across. I had to change a motherboard pretty much as soon as I'd done the upgrade from 7 to 10. I explained over the phone, they connected to the computer, did something activate-y and pasted a legit product key into a text file for me which I've been using to this day.

Thinking about it, I've actually changed motherboard/CPU since then and the key worked fine. Thinking about it some more, I actually built a new system and installed Windows on it with the product key but I still boot up the old one now and then and it hasn't moaned about not being activated...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks caLL, I'm probably not building anything for a while, but it helps to know I'll likely have an OS I can use

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Legally the answer is no, from the sounds of it the small Acer would have an OEM key that belongs to that device and only that device. But. although it's not really a grey area under MS licensing, it is treated as one.

But as others have said, just type it in you have nothing to lose. Also try the Windows 7 key from under the Acer, Windows 10 will often take the original Windows 7 key instead of the "upgraded" windows 10 one.

On a side note, Chrome OS on an Aspire One is doable :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Install Windows 7, activate it offline using the key, then try and upgrade it to windows 10

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
The only issue there is that it was Win 7 Starter version. Would it still work?

Is there an advantage to using Chrome OS? Will it run better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom