Help Returning Stuff! Ebuyer

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone had experience with returning things such as Graphics cards to Ebuyer? Just bought a XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog"Dawg" Edition Card, turns out the one I've been shipped is part of a large batch of XFX 8800 GT cards that were given a non Variable fan thus it always spins up at 100%, jet engine in my case. Had it since Saturday. Have put up a ticket with XFX to see if they will send me the variable fan as they have been doing to customers in the states, but not sure they will do it with UK customers. Will Ebuyer let me send it back even though its been in my case and used a bit?

All the packaging is is perfect order and stuff, so its just a matter of if they'll let me return it, otherwise I guess I'll be looking at replacing the heat stink with a non spec one. Its a good card to tide me over till I do a proper upgrade just the sheer noise when its idle pisses me off :(

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Anything you don't buy in person you can return within seven working days under the distance sales regulations. The only thing that can stop it is if the goods are no longer in a salable condition, and it sounds like yours are fine. They can just charge you for postage costs.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, as far as anyone's concerned, the product isn't doing something it should. Therefore it's basically faulty, you're within full right to refund or replacement.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ebuyer said:
Items Faulty on Arrival

If your items are faulty on arrival, you have 28 calendar days in which to inform us of the fault (please note that for our business customers, this is 14 calendar days). Items should be returned in their original packaging complete with all accessories and documentation. Once we have verified the fault, we'll issue a replacement or full refund to you via your original payment method and reimburse your reasonable return carriage costs. We test returned items, and if a returned item is found not to be faulty by our technicians we will return the item to you, in this instance you will be liable for the return carriage.

Seems straightforward to me. You just need to contact them to get a returns number.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Should be pointed out it isn't actually faulty, unless it wasn't XFXs intention to stick the non varible fan on there in the first place and even then it isn't technically faulty but probably something under the sale of goods act.

The non varible fan issue isn't often a mistake but a way in which they seem to produce cheaper versions on certain cards.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Faulty or not. as said before by inactionman the goods can be returned within 7 days.

Trading Standards Distance Selling Regulations
Cancellation periods

The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order. This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.
If a consumer cancels an order, written notice must be given to you by:

• goods – seven working days from the day after that on which the goods are received by the consumer;
  • services – seven working days from the day after that on which the consumer agrees to go ahead with the contract.
If you fail to provide consumers with written confirmation of all the required information, then the cancellation periods can be extended up to a maximum of three months and seven working days. If the missing information is provided during this time, then the cancellation period ends seven working days beginning with the day after the full written confirmation is received by the consumer.
Where a contract is cancelled, the consumer must ensure that reasonable care is taken of any goods received and 'restore' them to you. This does not mean that they have to return them - unless you stipulate this in the contract - only that they make them available for you to collect.
You must refund the consumer's money as soon as possible and, at the latest, within 30 days of receiving the written notice of cancellation. The consumer may, at your discretion, be charged the direct cost of returning the goods, but you must tell them about this in the written information you give them.
If payment for the goods or services is under a related credit agreement, the consumer's cancellation notice also has the effect of cancelling the credit agreement.
Not this is only distance customers. You have more rights buying over inet then you do buying from a shop :)

Also this is from a sellers point of view, it is the customer that must write to them within 7 days.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I never said anything about DSR, my comments were just based on the issue of trying to push the item back under the faulty category. I know perfectly well about DSR and also the simple fact that there are requirements for both sides, the key point about DSR is who deems what is salable and what isn't and as you'll see on Ebuyers own website they consider salable as an item that wasn't used:

If you have simply changed your mind about any item ordered and you wish to return it, then in line with the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) you can do so provided you inform us of your decision within 10 days of receipt. The item must not be used and must be 'as new' when returned to us. Once you've informed us that you wish to return goods under the DSR, you have 28 calendar days to do so, at your own expense. Once the item is received at ebuyer.com, we'll issue a full refund for the product to your original payment method. Please note this policy has some limitations and does not apply to business customers.(The Distance Selling Regulations do not apply to @work customers or our Business customers)

This isn't uncommon since trying to sell an item which has been used is a lot harder and often involves discounts so for most companies it is a case of good faith if they take it back in any other condition than how you received it.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
I never said anything about you :) Was posted at the genral line the topic is going. Having witness trading standards errr "standards" first hand I'd say Ebuyer would replace this without question if OP just emailed em and explained the situation with the fan and noise level.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Been through all of this before, oddly enough with Ebuyer too but last time around they were rather good about it - as far as they were concerned then, a design flaw or "incorrect intentions" as per in the case were treated in the same way as a faulty product.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I've got nothing against ebuyer, they've never let me down before really apart from one instance of super late delivery, but with this card its the constant "WHIZZZZZZZZ" that's pissing me off, got a response from XFX stating that my particular version of the card doesn't have the variable fan but others do. Seems they have about 8 or 9 different versions of the same card.... Some with some without variable fans. Bit stupid if you ask me.

This was a emergency buy to take over from my Geforce 7900GT which has gone all dead, so while i'm sending it back any good suggestions on an alternative card? Is it worth getting the 2xx versions now? I looking at doing a full system overhaul this winter or sooner if I get the cash,

Kryten

Old Cow.
Think you're really better off with one of the new ATI cards, 4850 for a similar price to what you're returning. More performance, especially in higher resolutions.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Bang for Buck the 4850 and 4870 easily win, good price and nice performance.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Got this, Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Should do the job, also got a couple quiet case fans, pretty sure an ambient case temp of 51C is not good!

//Edit oh yeh, did an RMA, called them and gave the situation, said it was fine! so thats all done then. Get the new card tomorrow and will send the "also" new bad one back.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Bonus, everyone's happy :D

Don't worry, the tables have turned with the graphics currently. Very, very high end the Nvidia GTX280 has it but everything up to it, the ATI's are the better bet hands down. Plus of course if you do anything other than game, you'll be treated better by ATI's drivers than Nvidia currently - and just how long have I been moaning about the shiteness of ATI's software? :D
Things change, you should be happy with that new card :D

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I have a dual monitor setup and while installing, i was thinking of using an old card to running the seond monitor and quickly wondering whats best.

Sapphire HD 4850 Graphics card running two monitors?

or 2 graphics cards running two monitors? Sapphire HD 4850 for 1 and 7900GT for other?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It will run 2 monitors, as will any modern card. You don't want to mix and match between ati and nvidia, that way lies frustration and driver madness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom