Returning a Monitor

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I got a nice new monitor from Scan a few months ago, but today it went ping, the screen blanked and the little LED just flashes rapidly at me, I confirmed it was the monitor as the PC is running fine on this little 15" crapola thing I have in front of me.

So how does one get a huge 19" monster lump of dead plastic back to the manufacturers ? Any advice ?

I am thinking of going off to PC World tomorrow and getting another one, but I doubt I'd get a bargain like the one that just popped: an Iiyama 19" for around £120 !

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Phone the manuf, they'll send a courier round to collect old and drop off new. Least that's what Samsung did when mine went bang within warranty.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
depends if you want brand new or reconditioned.

brand new, get back in contact with scan and confirm they will handle all shipping costs for the parcel via courier, then just deal with the RMA and wait for it to be collected.

reconditioned just means ignoring scan and going to the manufacturer, you might get lucky and end up getting a brand new one fired out to you or they dive into their stockpile of reconditioned monitors and send you it out, no costs incurred.

you might get lucky with iiyama but dont bet on it, they are quite prone to shipping out "identical" models to get you off their back, it'll be a similar size but wont be the same model.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Well I will tell you what I did although it was a bit naughty!

I had bought a 17 inch cheap monitor from Ebuyer's blowout deals section, but the numpties sent me a more expensive 17inch monitor from CTX. Not that i was complaining of course!

Well unfortunatly that monitor went "pop" and was useless. I was not happy.

Well I rang ebuyer anyway and they told me to get in touch with the manufacturer. Well went to the CTX web site, did the online form and a few hours later i got rung up! (at this point i was impressed).

Then the bloke said send me the reciept via email, which i did. At this point i got worried because the invoice had the wrong manufacturer on it! BUT! with a bit of fiddling with the HTML I sorted it ;)

Two days later a van turned up and took away the broken monitor then a few hours later i was given a brand spanking new monitor! wohooo lucky me :p, and very very impressed with CTX's customer service.

Thank you CTX

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been remarkably lucky with equipment failures. Not one single computer component I have had has ever failed.

Sometimes that can be a bummer though, no reason to spend more money :(

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
Few weeks ago my Sony monitor kind of hiccuped and the right side of the screen has moved inwards left a bit. I readjusted it with the controls so there wasnt any nasty big black gaps on the right side (just stretched it horizontally), but now of course, as a result of stretching the RIGHT side out to fill the screen, the left side looks uber stretched.

Its in warranty for a few months more but i cant find the receipt :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
iiyama do a 3 year swap out warrenty with their monitors. However those cheapy scan ones dont statethey come with this warrenty. Thats why it's worth spending the extra for a more expensive iiyama model or just getting a different manufacturer at that price range.

Either way, you should have at least a years cover, so you'll be fine for now.

/me watches Xane's PC graveyard grow.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Deady said:
Its in warranty for a few months more but i cant find the receipt :(
Did my return without a receipt through the manufacturer. They just took the serial number off the back of the monitor then sent a courier round with a new one.

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
Ahh the stuff that came with it DOES say its only valid with a receipt showing date and location of purchase etc - might be worth a try though thanks :)

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
Well Sony said if we didnt have the receipt they would have to go by date of manufacture.

In this case that was August 2000, putting the "life" of the monitor at 3 years and 4 months - past the warranty of 3 years - meaning they didnt want to know :(

Mercenary

Fledgling Freddie
I had some issues with my iiyama 514 (22" CRT). After my 4th swap I actually invited myself over to their factory on a Saturday!

I spent about 3 hours there talking to their head engineer. Got it sorted in the end,

By the way, the iiyama 514 s a great monitor, but it takes up to 30 minutes for it to warm up and for the the image to get into the right position. Plus after playing games and going back into Windows, the screen is off-set by a few mm (noticable) which isn't great. But they said that this is due to the technology used on all flat CRTs, and does not just occur with iiyama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom