Sex Renewable Energy

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I thought your point was that Scouse always speaks from the moral highground but in reality he's a hypocrite?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Dig the trenches yourself and use/solar wind for the pump.

Mini diggers are about 50 quid a day.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I thought your point was that Scouse always speaks from the moral highground but in reality he's a hypocrite?

You implied I don't believe he'll do this project which isn't the case, I also know it is good for the environment. However too often he takes the moral high ground on quite a few subjects while seeming to lord it over others.

It's a detestable quality in anyone and not something I'll often ignore whether it be social justice while using creative accounting, being a green environmental warrior while using feel good offsets to try and justify plane use, etc.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You implied I don't believe he'll do this project which isn't the case, I also know it is good for the environment. However too often he takes the moral high ground on quite a few subjects while seeming to lord it over others.

It's a detestable quality in anyone and not something I'll often ignore whether it be social justice while using creative accounting, being a green environmental warrior while using feel good offsets to try and justify plane use, etc.

But wait..

Scouse starts thread about advice over some piping.

People give advice.

Gaffer points out it's not economical, but it does have environmental benefits

Scouse acknowledges it's not economical, but says that's not what it's for, it's for the green benefit.

You jump in complaining that Scouse always takes the high horse, when he actually didn't, he was just explaining why he's considering having the work done.

Problem is @Embattle is that you appear to float around threads criticising everyone else and their thoughts on stuff, but you never present your ideas properly, I find that kind of lame, nearly as lame as @Moriath who floats around the forum shooting down people's thoughts and opinions with completely irrelevant arguments.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thanks for writing the reply I was going to make Gwad.

Scouse acknowledges it's not economical, but says that's not what it's for, it's for the green benefit.

You jump in complaining that Scouse always takes the high horse, when he actually didn't
This. Exactly this.

That Father Jack picture is 100% bob on.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
But wait..

Scouse starts thread about advice over some piping.

People give advice.

You jump in complaining that Scouse always takes the high horse, when he actually didn't, he was just explaining why he's considering having the work done.

Problem is @Embattle is that you appear to float around threads criticising everyone else and their thoughts on stuff, but you never present your ideas properly, I find that kind of lame, nearly as lame as @Moriath who floats around the forum shooting down people's thoughts and opinions with completely irrelevant arguments.
Love you too @Gwadien

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Does anyone know of any mobile apps that you can draw a boundary on via GPS?

I want to walk around the boundary of the property (as defined by the map) and understand exactly how much land it is. Off there on Saturday with my Uncle (quantity surveyor) but there's some boundary uncertainty.

I think Map My Field might be a thing, wondering if anyone knew better?

dysfunction

FH is my second home

I want to walk around the boundary of the property (as defined by the map) and understand exactly how much land it is. Off there on Saturday with my Uncle (quantity surveyor) but there's some boundary uncertainty.

How about using something like Strava? I know it's more for running and cycling but it does map the route via GPS.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Actually on Google Earth you can map an area and it will tell you the Perimeter and Area

So just find your house on Google Earth and draw the area you want

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Planimeter

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Which I always thought means lawyers.
Yeah, it does mean lawyers - I've got the plans and I'm running through a massive wadge of papers at the moment. There's uncertainty on a shaded area but for a first step I want to ensure that the reality on the ground matches the reality in the plans - and have a walked-around border on an OS Map that I've physically verified before I even start a potential legal bunfight.

On a secondary note, I'm trying to find out if I have sporting rights - because the property is leasehold (999-year lease on a peppercorn rent - two leaseholders being some old colonel and the forestry comission) - and what development limitations they'd like to put on the property. (A couple of yurts, a hot tub and a shepherds hut and the place could potentially pay for itself in ten years time) :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ground source heat pump is unlikely to be a thing. Too damn rocky :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Looking into it. I've not met anyone who makes it work in a home of this type tho. Insulation is pretty damn awful (1850's farmhouse). Will have to get in contact with a proper heating engineer and take advice.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Have access to gas, Solar viable?
No access to mains gas. If we go trad route it's LPG or oil. Solar's not really viable - light requirements mean that we'd have to use the south facing roof for skylights (wouldn't be able to use the north-facing roof as it's in the national park and they wouldn't allow that - otherwise solar thermal would definitely be part of the mix).

Will see what others in the area manage to do.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Surely any heating you put in is going to suffer if the insulation's pants? As far as I know, the inside-the-house bits of both ground source and air source are identical in that they both involve tubes filled with refrigerant. With ground source you're burying a lot of tube and with air source it's a short bit that passes through the outdoor unit with the big fan on it.

I'd think that addressing the insulation should be part of your refurb though... depending on how big the place is you could put a skin of plasterboard on the insides of all the external walls with insulation behind it and then make sure insulate the inside of the roof or the floor of the loft is up to scratch as well.

Embattle

FH is my second home
No access to mains gas. If we go trad route it's LPG or oil. Solar's not really viable - light requirements mean that we'd have to use the south facing roof for skylights (wouldn't be able to use the north-facing roof as it's in the national park and they wouldn't allow that - otherwise solar thermal would definitely be part of the mix).

Will see what others in the area manage to do.

Solar tiles might work better in that situation although I'm not sure of the availability of Solar tiles in the UK rather than solar panels and know the cost is higher. Also regarding the north facing roof, other than facing a national park it is pointless in the UK to put panels/tiles in that direction.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Solar tiles might work better in that situation although I'm not sure of the availability of Solar tiles in the UK rather than solar panels and know the cost is higher. Also regarding the north facing roof, other than facing a national park it is pointless in the UK to put panels/tiles in that direction.
Wouldn't want to put solar facing north - would want solar facing south and skylights north.

Problem is the north facing frontage faces on to rights of way so the national park wouldn't let us put (much-needed) skylights on there - necessitating the use of the south - hence no solar.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...hence no solar.
You don't have to put the panels on the roof. There's all sorts of solutions for mounting them at ground level although you're obviously giving up garden space.

Embattle

FH is my second home
@caLLous I'm fairly sure it gets a bit more complicated then as in most areas under permitted planning they are allowed on the roof providing they don't overhang, go above the highest point of the roof etc. but on the ground I suspect requires something a bit different.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Here, the roof was a definite and immediate "no" because the house is within 500 metres of a church but on stands in the garden would've been fine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You don't have to put the panels on the roof. There's all sorts of solutions for mounting them at ground level although you're obviously giving up garden space.
Leasehold farm space in the national park - so a no go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all over anything that gives an environmental edge. I'm thinking of wetland creation/enhancement at the cost of grazing land, for example.

If I can shoehorn solar/ground source/whatever in without bankrupting myself or making the house unliveable (it's already a big size step-down) then I'm there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom