Remove /level 20?

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
Ok, so here it goes:

Should "/level 20" command be removed from the game for good?

IMHO yes. The 1st 20 levels ain't that big job to run through and it'd revive the starting zones back alive.

Oh yeah, this was intentionally left without a poll :)

Flame on :flame:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
no, they should keep it and i very much doubt it will ever be changed cause so many ppl will whine.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Nice theory except for the fact that the majority of ppl that have /level enabled dont really care either way since they PL there toons, thus the starting zones will still be empty, only way to repopulate them is an influx of new players.

I agree the /level command was badly thought out and should never have been introduced but removing it now wont help any.

Labbe

Fledgling Freddie
Instead of removing they should let everyone use it imo(not just prople with 50 toons)

/Labbe

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Remove it.

New races/characters for the future will not get it, Catacombs and Labyrinth.

Lvl 20 worst mistake mythic made and they have acknowledged it.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It's too late, the damage has already been done. It should never have been added in the first place.

Mythic should've had the guts to remove it but never did. They could've made levels 1-30 considerably easier or something to compensate for the removal of /level 20, however they just left it as is.

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
GReaper said:
It's too late, the damage has already been done. It should never have been added in the first place.

Mythic should've had the guts to remove it but never did. They could've made levels 1-30 considerably easier or something to compensate for the removal of /level 20, however they just left it as is.

Yeah, damage has been done, there's no way to refuse it. Mythic lacked the balls while playing with their balls :)p) and missed the opportunity to make things better.

But this is only "what if". Hope they would do something good for DAoC, there's still plenty of time before WAR hits us.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
either remove it for all or enable it for all (including the classes that dont have it.)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Remove it for ALL, an change system for earning XP to make PL weak, and grouping with similar level characters a stronger option.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It is closing the gate after the horse has bolted. People just have to accept that DAoC has been in slow decline for a while now and that decline will only continue till the point where Warhammer goes live and DAoC for all intents and purposes dies as a profitable concern.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Esselinithia said:
Remove it for ALL, an change system for earning XP to make PL weak, and grouping with similar level characters a stronger option.
Amen, making the XP good for grouping with higher toons was a worse move than /level 20 tbh.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
What's this " Damage has been done!" thing people always talk about?

What, so you can't get a group from 1 to 20? What's the big deal really? Those are the easiest levels, and no drama.

For heaven's sake, the anti-/level people tout off endlessly that it's so easy to get to 20 why have it so you can skip it etc? Well, I would suggest that if it's so easy where's the point in doing it?

Personally, I'd be all for having /level 50 if you've got L50s. I can tell you, I've got about thirty of the bastards and I can play them all very, very well but have I hell levelled them all the old fashioned way. Powerlevelled all my RvR toons up and I do good.

Sorry if I sound overly vehement but XPing for XPing's sake is purely wank - I'd feel differently if the XP system was better, like in Anarchy Online where if you kill a yelow mob solo you get (for example figures not accurate) 2000xp, but if ten of you kill a yellow mob you still get 2000 xp each. That way anyone could group with anyone and gain massively without needing opted groups or feeling like they're losing out because someone's kinda new or not the right level or whatever.

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
RS|Phil said:
What's this " Damage has been done!" thing people always talk about? What, so you can't get a group from 1 to 20? What's the big deal really? Those are the easiest levels, and no drama.

I really don't know how long you have been playing this game, but as I have been among ever since open beta, I remember the days when there was lots of ppl all around the realm doing stuff. Yes, I know, times have changed, the game has developed and the realms have gotten bigger, which causes players to scatter around and make it seemimgly less full place. But there was players around, despite the areas were big and people got scattered around.

But the main point why starting zones are abandoned lies there when Mythic allowed people to use /level 20 command. It finally was the strike of death to starter zones: no longer was experienced players required to go through first 20 levels and no longer were the starter zones needed by them. This emptied the areas completely, leaving only tumbleweeds running around with few newcomers saying "eh, hello?? anybody here??".

So, what's the point really I'm trying to say here? Well, when a fresh newcomer takes (for example) the trial of this game, he get's into empty zone; no players around. The game seems dead already and... Well, I think I'd say bbye after 2 days, since there's no action around at all but mobs and npc's.

RS|Phil said:
For heaven's sake, the anti-/level people tout off endlessly that it's so easy to get to 20 why have it so you can skip it etc? Well, I would suggest that if it's so easy where's the point in doing it?

Well, I've been doing it too, just for kicks few times and few times to help some1 (few of my friends trying the trial out) starting the game. Really, like you just said, there's no point of having /level 20 anymore. It really is so easy to get to level 20.

RS|Phil said:
Personally, I'd be all for having /level 50 if you've got L50s. I can tell you, I've got about thirty of the bastards and I can play them all very, very well but have I hell levelled them all the old fashioned way. Powerlevelled all my RvR toons up and I do good.

So you'd be ready to kill all action from all zones for good?

RS|Phil said:
Sorry if I sound overly vehement but XPing for XPing's sake is purely wank - I'd feel differently if the XP system was better, like in Anarchy Online where if you kill a yelow mob solo you get (for example figures not accurate) 2000xp, but if ten of you kill a yellow mob you still get 2000 xp each. That way anyone could group with anyone and gain massively without needing opted groups or feeling like they're losing out because someone's kinda new or not the right level or whatever.

yes I agree with you in something: XPing is boring, no matter how easy they make it. It will always be boring for us who might have several lvl50 characters already. But the XPing isn't there just for XPing. It's there for practise new player out to learn how his/her skills work out together. That's the system behind it.

Aye, would be though call for some people if they really would say bbye to "/level 20" command. I just hope they would.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
There is no arguement here, things were blatently better before /level was introduced. I was very much in favour of the command as it was being introduced but now looking back with hindsight even I can that is was a hammer blow of ToA proportions, low level exping never recovered from the day that patch went live. I just don't see the point of removing it now, it is hardly likely that droves of new players are going to take DAoC and suddenly become disadvantaged. As I said, the horse has already bolted, move on.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
Implement /level 46 for everyone imo.
then the pve ppl can get some of the pvp and item farm and the rvr ppl get their lvl50 faster etc. better for us all. the lvls past 51 sucks aways :>

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
Wasnt there a poll on this before if it should be removed and it got shot down?

Corran

Part of the furniture
well removing it is pointless to be honest.

Patch not states : /lvl 20 will be removed and replaced with quicker XP gaining for the first 20-30 levels.

What will that achieve? Everyone with /lvl available will just go and fill all slots with a /lvl toon that they want to play in future and still not have to go to the bother of it.

For the people that think that there should be no /lvl then they still got the option to not use it, being there or not will not incraese amount of groups at low level as it will just be PL from lvl 1 instead of 20... and even at that, your better of solo in a insta dungeon at low level then with most groups.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
RS|Phil said:
What's this " Damage has been done!" thing people always talk about?

What, so you can't get a group from 1 to 20? What's the big deal really? Those are the easiest levels, and no drama.

thats not the problem, the problem is that u cant get a XP group PERIOD!

ive been trying to level a healer now since a few months after moderna came and so far ive been forced to solo. hes now 46 and TD's isnt possible anymore as i cant beat the timer. so hes stuck there.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ctuchik said:
thats not the problem, the problem is that u cant get a XP group PERIOD!

ive been trying to level a healer now since a few months after moderna came and so far ive been forced to solo. hes now 46 and TD's isnt possible anymore as i cant beat the timer. so hes stuck there.

Yep, my Bard and Mentalist stalled that way. Sure a mentalist can solo to 50 even if it is painfully slow but a poor Bard has almost no chance.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX, Ctuchik: I think the first problem is simple: We don't use the LFG window anymore, and we don't look for group mates, I have some characters (mostly on alb / prydwen) I would like to level, and there are other possible options (hib excal, mid classic, etc). If anyone wants xp groups.

But so far my best experience was on cumbria, while the server has very low population, when it was new, many newbies enjoyed visiting some nice newbie friendly areas in catacombs (like raiding the dark elf castle for glowies) and it was Good fun.

The question is: Do you see levels as an obstacle, and want to get 50 asap... Or you see xp groups as a chance to meet new friends, have fun, and raid just because newbies will be happy with their glowies... If you invite friends to game, and take them to such raids, group with them, it is more than possible to have a good road to 50. Also you can recruit people for xp groups here, and on other forums...

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Read Esselinithia's post and thought of this from Camelot Addict. It's so true.

PvEFunandNot.JPG

Darzil

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
Insta 50 with template of choice
remove all zones except for Hib classic between TNN and DL

rename the game to counterage of d00m-alot

seriously,

DAOC is never going to get (new) playerbase to fill the lowbee area's.
People either get PL-ed or grind through task dungeouns.
I do have sweet memories of when the game was young but realise that feeling is not comming back

Nowadays people try to get their alt xx asap to 50 and templated and no /level 20 gone means another hour or 2 of PL

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
Darzil said:
Read Esselinithia's post and thought of this from Camelot Addict. It's so true.

PvEFunandNot.JPG

Darzil
soo true :) i dont mind soloing a character when i have someone to chat with
(when theres noone to chat with it gets boring soo fast and end up having done almost nothing)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Varmuus said:
I really don't know how long you have been playing this game, but as I have been among ever since open beta, I remember the days when there was lots of ppl all around the realm doing stuff. Yes, I know, times have changed, the game has developed and the realms have gotten bigger, which causes players to scatter around and make it seemimgly less full place. But there was players around, despite the areas were big and people got scattered around.

But the main point why starting zones are abandoned lies there when Mythic allowed people to use /level 20 command. It finally was the strike of death to starter zones: no longer was experienced players required to go through first 20 levels and no longer were the starter zones needed by them. This emptied the areas completely, leaving only tumbleweeds running around with few newcomers saying "eh, hello?? anybody here??".

So, what's the point really I'm trying to say here? Well, when a fresh newcomer takes (for example) the trial of this game, he get's into empty zone; no players around. The game seems dead already and... Well, I think I'd say bbye after 2 days, since there's no action around at all but mobs and npc's.

Well, I've been doing it too, just for kicks few times and few times to help some1 (few of my friends trying the trial out) starting the game. Really, like you just said, there's no point of having /level 20 anymore. It really is so easy to get to level 20.

So you'd be ready to kill all action from all zones for good?

yes I agree with you in something: XPing is boring, no matter how easy they make it. It will always be boring for us who might have several lvl50 characters already. But the XPing isn't there just for XPing. It's there for practise new player out to learn how his/her skills work out together. That's the system behind it.

Aye, would be though call for some people if they really would say bbye to "/level 20" command. I just hope they would.

Well, since day one on general UK release so not quite as long but almost as long. My personal experiences with grouping with random people is that it's worse than soloing, so maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to this whole debate.

I have to say though that I don't hjave access to /level because I play on classic, and aside from the first month of the game where all the zones were busy, the story is the same anyway. People still don't group!

As far the newcomes not being able to talk to anyone, well I know what you're saying but with the new starter guilds that's just not the case anymore. Even on the quietest servers, people are still in them. Even got a fair few high RR Clan Cotswold on classic to help them out :p

I don't want to kill action in all zones. And I really don't want to be able to /level at all, what I want is an alternative but there isn't one so /level is still a good idea imo. (even tho I don't use it myself because of classic :p )

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
remove it for all I'm concerned... but do make XPíng more viable for groups, like mentioned before.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
keep it, not as if we are going to get any new players so does it really matter?

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Raven: Recently I seen some new players
If they are happy and bring friends, we will get more.
We need more new players, so we should keep them happy.

Some log in to play, have fun with friends.... Others do it only to win.
If you start the game to play, and have fun, you should consider one thing: Even if you have level 50s, if you haven't seen a level 15ish area, it is something new to do, and might be interesting, leading some raid for newbies, etc. is a good way to have fun, and do something new. And it is also a good way to keep new players happy, and make them invite their friends.

Bondoila

Fledgling Freddie
No point, better give /level 40 now. If you make a new char it's pl anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom