Remote Desktop

leggy

Probably Scottish
Seeing as how barrysworld are now long gone I can't search the forums for this. I was wondering if any of you know of a free/trial remote desktop app that works over the internet. It should be capable of connecting a win xp pro machine and a win 2000 machine.

Kind Regards

leggy

/edit

If you hadn't worked it out, I want access of the winxp machine from the win200 machine.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Cheers,

That's exactly the jobby I was looking for. Just couldn't remember the name.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
they updated to www.realvnc.com a while ago for the latest version

if you have Remote Assistance enabled on your XP machine, you can use Windows 2000 Terminal Services (mstsc.exe) to connect to the XP box, bit more efficient than VNC, just grab the terminal services client and away you go.. just make sure XP has "accept connections for remote assistance" in the computer properties page checked

VNC has a handy java app imbedded in that takes residence on port 5800 in web browsers so you can do it without needing the VNCviewer exe on your machine.

personally id rather use remote assistance, its a lot faster than VNC and its also secure if you set a proper password up to log on with.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Or, just use the remote desktop client, after all you want to reach the XP machine from the 2000 box and XP has a terminal services remote desktop as standard, which is a million times more network efficient and less laggy than VNC.

(vnc is teh horrible)

You can get the Remote Desktop client which will run on windows 2000 from Microsoft.com

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Not compared to Terminal Services, which is what Remote Desktop boils down to.

VNC works by sending images of screen portions between machines, where as terminal services literally brings a virtual desktop to your PC and is only transmitting window information and coordinates.

It's so efficient I can run it from my XDA-II and safely administer my Windows 2003 server. VNC would be totally incapable in that environment. I'd also like to see VNC mapping your local drives to the remote PC if asked, or on high bandwidth connections playing sound through your local speakers. It can't.

VNC was good back in the days of NT4 as it was free and MS offered nothing aside from a pricey dedicated 'terminal server' build of WinNT4. It had some use in Windows 2000, but after a bit of a tweak and a prod you can get remote desktop working under Win2k server too.

XP and Windows Server 2003 will allow you to connect via remote desktop/TS as standard, with no application install required, and simply because of the model it follows will always be vastly more capable than the nasty clumsy VNC approach.

Seriously, use Remote Desktop and not VNC, XP has it built in for crying out loud!!

Xav

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Yes, but Leggy asked for a free/trial remote management tool. If I remember rightly, Terminal services requires a Windows server and there is the issue of licencing.

I've been using UltraVNC for a while now. Although it is a little laggy for the reasons Xav states above, if you can cope with that then it is perfect. UltraVNC also includes a basic File Transfer system. Something that can really come in handy. There is also a secure plugin for it now that I must get around to testing.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
Yes, but Leggy asked for a free/trial remote management tool. If I remember rightly, Terminal services requires a Windows server and there is the issue of licencing.

I've been using UltraVNC for a while now. Although it is a little laggy for the reasons Xav states above, if you can cope with that then it is perfect. UltraVNC also includes a basic File Transfer system. Something that can really come in handy. There is also a secure plugin for it now that I must get around to testing.

*slaps forehead*

leggy asked for a method to connect to an xp machine from a win2k machine remotely.

XP includes a cut-down version of terminal services which MS rebranded 'remote desktop'.

There are no license considerations, it's there as standard and vastly superior to any form of vnc.

Remembering back to XP's initial release, now microsoft have included terminal services for free it's technically a breach of the eula to use other remote desktop apps... heh

Oh, and incidentally, the new licensing model for 2003 server means you can even use TS on it in 'administration mode' limiting you to two concurrent remote desktop sessions at no extra charge.

Xav

itcheh

Part of the furniture
I told Leggy to use Terminal services when chatting on MSN yesterday ... would he listen?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
does anyone know of a server app that works the other way? I have a 2K machine at home I'd like to be able to access from my XP machine at work, but so far I've only come across server software for XP for remote desktop, and client for 2K.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
PCAnywhere is your best bet, unlike VNC it's not free, but the lesser of two two proverbial evils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom