Remember FA18 Interceptor on the Amiga?

T

Tom

Anybody here have 'Dungeon Master' I think it was called, basically you had to run around some dungeon, solving puzzles and hacking at monsters. FPS, but you could only move in 'blocks' and turn in 90degree increments. Great fun! I enjoyed whacking blue monsters with clubs and stuff.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Tom
Anybody here have 'Dungeon Master' I think it was called, basically you had to run around some dungeon, solving puzzles and hacking at monsters. FPS, but you could only move in 'blocks' and turn in 90degree increments. Great fun! I enjoyed whacking blue monsters with clubs and stuff.
Possibly the most famous of all computer RPG's as this game started them all. It may even be abandonware by now so check Underdogs for it or something. Would be pretty digusted if anyone here didn't know it :)

T

Testin da Cable

dungeon master, and chaos strikes back are amongst the bestist games that ever were.

B

Big G

defender of the crown?

If it is, man - great game. I do believe I was only 14 at the time when I had it.

G

T

Tom

Right, I managed to get interceptor up and running, so here are some shots for the old bastards among us (the young 'uns are probably looking and thinking WTF?)

The funny thing is that the file I got still contains the hackers message and music/gfx screen at the start!!

interceptor.gif

S

Summo

Of course in those days our low-resolution TVs provided all the full-screen anti-aliasing you could want.

D

djpringle

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Possibly the most famous of all computer RPG's as this game started them all. It may even be abandonware by now so check Underdogs for it or something. Would be pretty digusted if anyone here didn't know it :)

They certainly have got it, quality game :) hated the spell system though

J

Jonaldo

heh the entire game is 875k! :D

Compare that to the 1gb install RPG's you get these days and this will probably still be remembered long after they disappear.

T

Tom

Dungeon Master was v good, but ultima underworld II (PC) was the daddeh of rpg games for me. Tiny screen, but great story, and a real sense of exploration into the unknown.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Tom
Dungeon Master was v good, but ultima underworld II (PC) was the daddeh of rpg games for me. Tiny screen, but great story, and a real sense of exploration into the unknown.
If you liked Ultima games and wanted to play Ultima VII again then this may be of interest to you. Lets it run without the need for DOS, I've not tried it yet and haven't even read much into it :D so don't know requirements (am too lazy to do so at present). Maybe one day when bored I'll have a looksee, a lot of the old rpg's were much better than todays ones as everyone is too hung up on graphics and including fancy fmv sequences rather than the games themselves :mad:

D

djpringle

Oh yeah, that was a good un...all I can remember is running around in circles for days looking for a doorway though :(

M

MikeyBear

Twas Ultima Underworld and Falcon (2.0?) that finally convinced me to buy my first £2000 PC.

33mhz 486 DX - wanted the DX bit cos it meant Falcon would calculate wing bend into its flight envelope. Dweeb for teh win \o/

N1 on the Interceptor Screenies Tom, bless U.

Any1 play Damocles (the Mercenary Sequel)?

W

whipped

I had a 1MB Amiga (Well, my father did) and we even had the external CD drive. Anyone remember those. CD's had to go in a jewel case and there was nothing released for it ever. Unless you wanted Amiga Paint on a CD. Oh, and you also needed that second floppy drive, so that Jesus on E's would work ;)

My second favorite flight sim of all time though has to be the F117-a one. Great missions and such an easy interface to use. Plus, not enough games now-a-days provide cardboard layouts to put on your keyboard.

Me and my dad used to have so many on the machine at once you could only just use the keys ;)

M

MikeyBear

Played F19 Stealth Fighter (by Microprose) a whole bunch, more than was healthy truth be told. That had a kb overlay iirc.

I

Insane

i remember f29 retaliator mostly for some unknown reason :(

and Birds of Prey, from the budget line, for some reason it would only play on my sisters a600 and not my a1200 at the time :(

im sure the a600 is still in storage in the attic somewhere, might be tempted to dig it out and have a play with it and see if it still works :D

X

xane

Ah, the Microprose flight sims; F19 Stealth Fighter (by Sid "Civ" Meier), followed by F117A Stealth Fighter, and the F15 Strike Eagle I and II, loved them to bits.

I wish someone would do a modern F117A game, the cat and mouse tactics were surreal.

M

MikeyBear

If youre looking for an Interceptor fix then this: http://www.3dgamers.com/games/jetfighter5/#filelist might do the trick.

Just tried it and its not half bad tbh.

Very american sadly, music is fairly revolting but turn that off and ignore the "USA Being invaded by horribly smelly foreigners!!!" storyline that feeds the US's ever increasing post 911 paranoia and its got all the larfs of a good comabt flight sim without being so nerdy that its no fun (*cough*LOMAC*cough*).

The graphics are fairly impressive and it spanked along nicely on my humble 933mhz with a good impression of speed.

Has stuff like Lantirn guided Mavs, sidewinders and amraams with a nice noddy interface so its easy to use and easy to watch the results.

Full version has 16plyr multiplayer apparently but I can't find a (legit) UK release for it.

http://www.jetfighter5.com/html/main.html << noisey but has screenshots.

" Multiplayer features allow up to sixteen people to dogfight over a LAN

" In the interest of supplying the best multiplayer experience we felt it was necessary to delay the release of the internet multiplayer component.
Internet multiplayer with support for up to 16 people is currently under development and will be made available via a free download. Check back for updates. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

S

Scouse

I paid (well my parents did) £34.99 for a 512k memory card for my Amiga 500 to bring it up to 1meg ram.

My mum paid 50 quid for a 16k RAM expansion to up my Vic-20's 3.5k....

....so there!

/Scouse wonders what he wanted to achieve by posting this....

T

Tom

Anyone who wants old Amiga games (including Interceptor) check this site out

http://download.sutum.de/

I'm presuming its ok to post that. I use WinUAE for the emulator, its free and good. If you need a kickstart ROM, pm me, I'll give you a link.

Hope thats ok bif

Users who are viewing this thread