S

Steiny

F/A 18 Interceptor Interview online!

MAJOR NEW ADDITION TO POST

Yes! YES YES YES. OH YES
IT LIVES!

------------
OLD POST

In a late night session of Googling ac couple of days ago, I got hold of the original programmer's email address. Bob Dinnerman is his name, and very kindly he's consented to doing an email interview about the peerless Amiga flight sim.

So, basically, I was wondering what questions you might like me to ask?

all the best,

S

Scouse

FANTASTIC :)

Loved that game. It was prolly the first game I bought on the Amiga and I played it to destruction.

Ask him whether he prefers Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding or some big ole Texas BBQ ;)

W

whipped

How about asking what he thinks of today's game production values. It's a long time since those days of programming a game in your own bedroom, and it would be interesting to see if he thinks that big budget teams are making better games?

S

Summo

That game rocked! I remember when my dad finally got the hang of carrier landings.

"Is it my go yet, dad?"
"Not now, son..."

Can't think of any questions, though...

Stuff like "What do you think of the gameplay aspects of the current crop of flight simulators?"

I'd like to know if he's still working in the industry or not. If he is, any plans for more sims?

C

Cdr

'Is there a place for flight simulators in a modern market dominated by first person shooters?'

And mmmmm what a sweet game he produced.

J

jo.

If you were a biscuit, what kind of biscuit would you be ?

1tchy trigger

Did you/EA have to pay royalties for nicking a sample from the Top Gun theme tune for the Interceptor title page?

T

Tom

God damn I loved that game.

Ask him how the hell you were supposed to destroy that submersible carrier. IT WAS TEH IMPOSSIBLE!!!1!!

And I had the 1MB Amiga 500 so :p

B

Big G

Man i had this too, loved it!

I want to know:

"why could you fly through the supporting wires on the golden gate bridge and not get destroyed?"

EH?EH?

G

1tchy trigger

I was so glad that F-18 Interceptor was bundled with the Amiga - once my Dad got his hands on it he seemed to forget forking out £400!!

I had a 1MB Amiga too - so neugh!

Kick Off 2 shits on Sensi BTW :D

D

dysfunction

I remember playing F18 on the PC...I think I had a 286 at the time....May have been a 386

Z

Zarjazz

Kick Off 2 shits on Sensi BTW

OMG! Kick Off 2! Football games have all been down-hill ever since that game was released!!

C

Chameleon

Originally posted by Zarjazz
OMG! Kick Off 2! Football games have all been down-hill ever since that game was released!!
Amen to that!!

C

CptDoom

Id love to find out how he feels that his sim can now be downloaded and played on emulator. In other words, is he chuffed that people can still play it without an amiga or is emulation 100% theft :)

Boring yeah, but id love to know what 'bedroom coders' think of emulation

Y

Yaka

ask him to get off his arse an remake the game. the latest flight sim Lock on looks all very nice but lacks the interceptors soul as flight sim

T

Tom

Originally posted by Big G
Man i had this too, loved it!

I want to know:

"why could you fly through the supporting wires on the golden gate bridge and not get destroyed?"

EH?EH?

G

Also, why was it possible to land the plane upside down? And, tell him it was great fun shooting Air Force 1 down instead of the migs hehehe

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by CptDoom
Id love to find out how he feels that his sim can now be downloaded and played on emulator. In other words, is he chuffed that people can still play it without an amiga or is emulation 100% theft :)

Boring yeah, but id love to know what 'bedroom coders' think of emulation
i presume it isnt theft, as it is available on what looks like a reputable and legal amiga site. http://amiga.emucamp.com/fa18interc.htm

T

TedTheDog

Ask him if he intentionally wrote the game so idiots like me and Mikeybear could land upside down on the carrier (thats a REAL mans carrier landing!)
:m00:

I had 2 Atari ST's at the time I saw Interceptor on Mikeys Amiga and I bought an amiga purely for this game.
Ask him if we can have some copies (I still have an Amiga!).
And a PC port!
And that darn russian sub-carrier was mad. I seem to remember you could render it immobile or something, but hteres been far too many pints and late nights since to be able to remember anything in detail...

Ask him for an mp3 of the music!

edit: ooh, emulator stuff ooh
Ask him if I can buy him a pint for many many hours of fun.

J

Jonaldo

Was FA-18 Interceptor before or after Falcon?

It's all too long ago for me to remember correctly, am I right thinking FA-18 was the originator but Falcon improved on it? I seem to remember spending more time playing Falcon than this. Also seem to be having strange flashbacks of a blue rotating circular card thing to do with it... was this a security thing? it's all a bit vague.

1tchy trigger

Sorry for sidetracking this thread - Kick Off 2 fans should visit here:

Kick Off Association

Lets not get too gooey eyed here people - Interceptor was a great game of its time, but it didn't exactly have competition - and it was quite limited in things to do. Now Falcon - THAT was a game and a half!

M

MikeyBear

omfg!
Its been far too long since a "flight sim" gave as good an impression of flight as Interceptor did, fkin awesome piece of software.

Questions wise I'd echo what Summo said.
Afaik the Russian Submersible neither moved or was sinkable, i'm prepared to be corrected on that tho (ask the man!)

Damn i'd love a mplayer version of that these days with a dedicated server ...unF

E

evilmonkeh

hmm cant work out how to use an amiga emu :(
it says something about a kick.rom missing what ever that is

S

Steiny

Oh my God

It occured to me that if I was going to send this email interview, I really should play it again. Now I'm not a great fan of emulation - most games seem really dated but...

WOW!

Such AMAZING sound effects for a start. And the coolest menuing system ever ever.

And even more incredible - the sense of speed! It is still there, and not just some childhood nostalgia. I went for a shot at flying under the golden gate bridge - lined it up wrong, and bottled out! Then I tried again at over mach 1... and VOOOOOOM through I went. It made my heart pound, really! Even with those simple polys.

I can't quite believe what an amazing feel it still has! I think game designers should take lessons from Chairman Bob on how to make atmosphere!

T

Tenko

FA 18 was the only decent game bundled with my Amiga.
You remember the Thundercats game? hehe.

I don't have any questions but I still have all my old amiga games.

For that fact I still have all my old amigas :)

Actually here's a Q.

What other games did he make?

B

Big G

Originally posted by evilmonkeh
hmm cant work out how to use an amiga emu :(
it says something about a kick.rom missing what ever that is

Yeah you need an Amiga kickstart rom. There is a utility to convert it from your Amiga to a file on the PC, plus you need the hardware.

Fook that.

You can find one on the internet or on kazaa/sharezaa no bother. If you have bother finding one, PM me and I can fix you up with an Amiga rom.

G

C

Ch3tan

I paid (well my parents did) £34.99 for a 512k memory card for my Amiga 500 to bring it up to 1meg ram.

Users who are viewing this thread