Release Dates

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Seems like the next month or so could really inject some life into PC gaming, if the release dates on Play.com are to be believed... :rolleyes:

20/02/2004 - Breed
05/03/2004 - Deus Ex 2: Invisible War
19/03/2004 - Unreal Tournament 2004
19/03/2004 - Battlefield Viewnam
26/03/2004 - Doom III
26/03/2004 - Far Cry
26/03/2004 - Counter Strike Condition Zero
26/03/2004 - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

If even half of the above come out on time, I'll be amazed - rather scarily the 26th which is rather dominant in the above is also the due-date for Mini-Xav, someone somewhere is clearly aware of this fact and wants me to suffer spending my night in a delivery room, rather than frolicking around on tropical islands and battling demonic hoardes...

Oh, and the DAoC rabble get another add-on on 27/02/2004 - "Dark Age Of Camelot: Trial Of Atlantis (Add-on)" - so prepare for the forums to start creaking and moaning under the strain of yet more spammage.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
Oh, and the DAoC rabble get another add-on on 27/02/2004 - "Dark Age Of Camelot: Trial Of Atlantis (Add-on)" - so prepare for the forums to start creaking and moaning under the strain of yet more spammage.

LOL aye :)

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:

Do we still have to bash the entire DAoC community because of the few tits that have sprouted here and there?

I try not to post unless I actually have something to say on a topic, and I also don't have a stupidly huge sig.

Oh, and a colleague of mine is cruising easynews and has spotted DE2 in a.b.games

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm afraid it is true - when the DAoC server went down a couple of weeks back, and the whole population (well, more than normal) of DAoC'ers were here, the forums ran real slow.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Breni said:
Do we still have to bash the entire DAoC community because of the few tits that have sprouted here and there?

I try not to post unless I actually have something to say on a topic, and I also don't have a stupidly huge sig.

Oh, and a colleague of mine is cruising easynews and has spotted DE2 in a.b.games
CDR echoes my point. I have no problem with DAoC, I, as did many other of the regulars here, played Dark Ages of Camelot at launch.

I was referring to the huge amount of posting which occurs when new expansions or big patches roll out. The DAoC userbase are deprived of their servers and thus rightly come here to discuss game tactics and general banter - and as a result our current server creaks and moans a little under the strain.

It's probably a good idea to not jump on the defensive every time the words DAoC and spam are used in the same sentence, especially when you're not sure if the writer is necessarily seriously criticising posting habits, which I wasn't. EoT or no EoT the DAoC forums are already responsible for a huge proportion of the posts here at Freddy's, but that's no 'bad thing' from where I'm sitting.

On a positive note, TN has sourced two new servers which will be made available to FH, if Deebs agrees we can move the whole shebang onto a four way 2.8Ghz Xeon box which will better cope with the 500+ concurrent user sessions.... more news on that as it develops, of course.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Deus Ex 2 has been out in the *cough* gaming world *cough* for months, it came out last year and I can tell you it's been consolified, the menus are simpler and the game runs like a dog on most machines. If you can play through the initial crapness of it I believe there is a great game hidden behind it that many will enjoy :)

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
It's probably a good idea to not jump on the defensive every time the words DAoC and spam are used in the same sentence, especially when you're not sure if the writer is necessarily seriously criticising posting habits, which I wasn't. EoT or no EoT the DAoC forums are already responsible for a huge proportion of the posts here at Freddy's, but that's no 'bad thing' from where I'm sitting.

As a rule, I avoid defending DAoC completey. I'm not going to get into a huge argument/start a flame war about the whole issue. I'm not even a prolific poster. As I said, I only post when I have something to say, and only if I think what I'm saying has a place in the thread.

God knows, I'm not defending the dicks that come here and start baiting or hijacking threads. I would like to think that I've managed to avoid being reviled for my gaming choice but it just gets on my tits every time some minor DAoC related thing crops up and the same reaction is posted.

Although, now, I've probably gone and labelled myself at a DAoC spamwhore and will be tarred with the same brush as the idiots I revile. Such is life, I suppose, on the Internet.

Xavier said:
On a positive note, TN has sourced two new servers which will be made available to FH, if Deebs agrees we can move the whole shebang onto a four way 2.8Ghz Xeon box which will better cope with the 500+ concurrent user sessions.... more news on that as it develops, of course.

Always good news, of course. I wish I could help in some way - was a complete bust how Game closed Barrys, but it was their right, of course. Sadly, I don't have access to free Quad Xeons, so that sort of help is right out :(

Skyler said:
Deus Ex 2 has been out in the *cough* gaming world *cough* for months, it came out last year and I can tell you it's been consolified, the menus are simpler and the game runs like a dog on most machines. If you can play through the initial crapness of it I believe there is a great game hidden behind it that many will enjoy

Yeah, my colleague has said that it ran like a dog on his box, and I thought much the same about the initial crappiness of the original Deus Ex, at first - then I managed to get into it and really quite enjoyed it. I was getting good with the zapstick and that rather tasty sword ;)

Well. That's it, I suppose.

Will

/bin/su
The anti-DAoC thing is more of a running gag now than anything serious. It's taken over from the old anti-CS vibe (FFS HAX ADMIN!!!!!) that use to be thrown about at Barrysworld. As long as it isn't too serious, I let it go.

And the gags tend to be saved for the more illiterate members of the community. ;)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Somehow, i think Doom III, Far Cry (Telling from the demo, and all its obvious and consistent graphical glitches)and CS: CZ (Goes without saying tbh + it looks like shit compared to modern games. I suspect it'll go the way of DN: Forever.) will all be delayed even further. Though the sooner these get released, the less competition they'll have from HL2. :)

edit:// Here's a fairly consistent release table of PC games.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Will said:
The anti-DAoC thing is more of a running gag now than anything serious. It's taken over from the old anti-CS vibe (FFS HAX ADMIN!!!!!) that use to be thrown about at Barrysworld. As long as it isn't too serious, I let it go.

And the gags tend to be saved for the more illiterate members of the community. ;)

Now I know what it's all about. At least, I think I do.

I only ever played CS once or twice, ages ago at a LAN. Was more into Q2 CTF at the time. Or Action Quake.

Thanks for the clarification though.

Will

/bin/su
Breni said:
Now I know what it's all about. At least, I think I do.

I only ever played CS once or twice, ages ago at a LAN. Was more into Q2 CTF at the time. Or Action Quake.

Thanks for the clarification though.
CS has (had? It is getting on a bit) it's own sub-culture, which was very easy to poke fun at. DAoC, for better or worse, fits the bill. CS players (I was one) tended to laugh at it, unless they were bang to the stereotype (fifteen year old anti-social nerd, obsessed with everyone cheating), who would get annoyed. The DAoC stereotype here is fifteen year old, txt speaking, twenty four hour a day levelling, stat obsessed, anti-social nerd. No one is really that bad, but some take it the wrong way.

Who is to blame for the flaming, that's another matter.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Will said:
The DAoC stereotype here is fifteen year old, txt speaking, twenty four hour a day levelling, stat obsessed, anti-social nerd. No one is really that bad, but some take it the wrong way.

I've met a few people exactly like that in my time playing the game, actually...

Well, that's cleared it up for me. I was actually afraid to ask outright, given the attitude of some people to the DAoC community.

Thanks again! :D

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
I really hope something special comes in the form of hl2 (i.e. much better than hl1/cs in terms of online gaming) or doom 3, cos to be perfectly honest, since quake3 the entire online gaming arena has been dead in comparison.
Damn you ID software!! ;)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Doom3's nothing more than a relatively decent FPS game showcasing a pretty engine.

Half Life 2 will be a let down after all this wait. Constant slippings are not looking good, considering we all know this game was more or less ready to go at least 6 months ago - it's going to be hard getting the hype back up again for what will be out of date technology by the time it comes out...

I just want Q4 to be honest. Deus Ex 2 I want as well but I haven't been able to play it yet thanks to the demo crashing constantly on the 2 machines I tried to play it on....

lovedaddy

Fledgling Freddie
As long as UT2k4 makes it out I think I'll be happy.

Dues Ex 2 is a bitter bitter disappointment (I sooooo wanted it to be good).

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
There is only one game I'm interested in at the moment - and that is Wartime Command.

And it's not due until at least summer 04.
I bet it will be more like xmas 05. :(

And damn, does it look yummeh! *outs himself as Close Combat and Combat Mission fanatic*

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Swift^ said:
Constant slippings are not looking good, considering we all know this game was more or less ready to go at least 6 months ago
Looking at the 'leak' which had thousands of lines of commented code dated up to six days before HL2 was due (30/9/03), it's pretty safe to say the hack did nothing to delay Half Life 2, it would have taken the creation of some kind of time machine, or an act of god, to get it out on 30th september. The latest builds of the maps showed the game environment to be less than 30% complete, with some levels missing everything but the floor.

Xav

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Reckon the only game I'm waiting for right now is World of Warcraft, but the community there is giving me second thoughts :(

The Wartime Command looks fairly spinky though

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
HL2 is the only game I am looking forward to :(

Can't say I have much faith in valve anymore, but who's not going to get the game?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Well if ut2k4 date holds and Breed release date for UK holds, 19th of march be very busy day for me ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Breni said:
I was actually afraid to ask outright, given the attitude of some people to the DAoC community.

never be afraid to speak your mind* laddie

*within reason naturally. just before I contradict myself :(

Macceh^

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I cannot wait for Doom 3, it looks very slick and the anticipation has resulted in me playing an old copy of Doom 2. I am hoping however that Doom becomes more of an online game this time around.

To Doom! :drink:

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
never be afraid to speak your mind* laddie

*within reason naturally. just before I contradict myself :(

Normally, I'm not. The Internet can be a scary place, however...

mank!

Part of the furniture
Swift^ said:
Half Life 2 will be a let down after all this wait. Constant slippings are not looking good, considering we all know this game was more or less ready to go at least 6 months ago - it's going to be hard getting the hype back up again for what will be out of date technology by the time it comes out...

I just want Q4 to be honest.

I'm worried about the same, I've been waiting for HL2 for ages now. Nothing ever lives up to it's hype, sadly.

I'll definitely get Q4 whatever happens though, even if I'm crippled and unable to use a computer.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
It'll be just my luck when HL2 comes out the same time as Battlefield Vietnam.

I personally think that although the WW2/Vietnam FPS games are getting old hat, the style of play is a far better balance between realism and arcade.

/me points to this thread

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to see lots of people are as eager for Quake IV as I am :D

Anyone tried the UK2K4 demo?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
I've been trying to get into X2 but the control scheme is just making my head hurt. And the way the tutorials tell you stuff like "Please open the bay doors now. Do this by pressing the "open bay doors" button." Thanks a lot there, mister tutorial.

Summo

Loyal Freddie
It's 'O'.

I'm just starting to get into it, but not without the help of a few websites. I'm plotting prices of goods for every system I visit so I can trade in the future. I think the control system you get used to, though it is coming under a lot of criticisms. And the cut scenes induce cringing and weeping.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Whats this X2 about? Does it have MP? Is it good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom