Reflections of a Thidranki Infiltrator

R

Roalith

After spending around ~6 weeks playing a 24 Infiltrator in Thidranki, I like to think I've gained a little experience of the RvR capabilities of the class. Just thought I'd share them.

Speccing

I have tried various specs in Thidranki, thanks to the respec bug. Character was a Briton, 30 base points went 15 strength 10 con. I chose slash as the damage type, as my main targets were shadowblades and hunters.

My first spec was:

21 +2 CS
20 +5 Stealth
15 Envenom
15 Slash
4 Dual Wield

I would say this is the best general purpose spec. Respectable melee, poison, stealth, means you can take out most targets you go after, providing you get the drop on them. The high(ish)
stealth generally means you do, too.

This next:

21 +2 CS
24 +5 Stealth
2 Envenom
19 Slash
1 Dual Wield

Was gimped, quite simply. Looks good on paper, and beautiful stealth means you never ever get uncovered. The high slash means a nice low damage variance on your PA, too. However, the painfully low envenom means you stand no chance of getting 'hit and run' kills. Bleed effect from PA just doesn't cut the mustard for those type of kills, and because Infiltrators can only use 1h weapons, the PA isn't even in the same league as critblades.

My final spec after fiddling around with respecs a few times (cough) was:

21 +2 CS
19 +5 Stealth
23 +2 Envenom
7 Slash
1 Dual Wield

On paper, this looks like a somewhat gimpy spec. However, the level 25 DoT poison does ~40 damage per tick... not a lot stands up to a PA for 180ish followed by 240 damage over time.
I ended up staying with this as my final spec, and I can safely say I had the most fun with it. Your melee isn't too good, and damage variance can be a little wild to say the least. However, the nice high CS gives you respectable garotte damage, and as PA, Garotte, or Backstab are pretty much the only styles you use in Thidranki, you can get away with it.

Classes

Midgard
First off the bat, you have slash resistant armour on 5 of the 8 Midgard classes, and vulnerable armour on only 3 of them. This means you have to pick your targets carefully. Solo Hunters are a safe bet 1 v 1 - they rarely ever uncover you, wear slash vulnerable armour, and are often to be found lurking on the road on their own between MB and MPK (provided Albion has the CK). I have taken a Nightshade down before, immediately followed by a hunter who happened to be standing nearby and watching. Shadowblades are also slash vulnerable, and as an
infiltrator it is your job to try and control their population a little.
99% of the time, you get the drop on a shadowblade and you win - especially with a hit-and-run template like the above. However, a critblade gets the drop on you, and you'll last all of 2 seconds. Your only hope is that they didn't put snare poison on the 2hander and leg it as fast as you can.
Likewise, Shadowzerkers are ewul. Even if you get the drop on them they will often out-melee you. DoT them, snare them, and peg it. Beserkers are the last slash vulnerable class. Avoid. Warriors can be taken down quite readily, as can Shaman, Runemasters, and Spiritmasters.
Healers are a pain, but with persistance they can be taken down provided they don't have their group around them.
The class you really have to watch out for are skalds. Relatively
high HP, respectable melee, chain (slash resistant) armour, an insta DD snare and speed which means you have no hope whatsoever of getting away. If you come across a target accompanied by a skald, bide your time until the skald gets antsy and runs off.

Hibernia
Nightshades and rangers are your bitches. Very often have painfully low stealth, you can spot them a mile away and line yourself up so they walk into your PA. With my final spec template above, it's easily possible to PA either of them with the DOT poison, then forget about them and watch the 1 RP roll in. Elf or Lurikeen Enchanters, Eldritches, and other pure-casters:
Laff. One shot PAs, very very rarely will you struggle to kill these from stealth, if they're solo.
Bards are a little more difficult if grouped, however a PA and a couple of garottes sends them packing when solo. Avoid Spear heros. Blademasters can hurt a fair bit too, most fights are 50/50.

The best general tactics are PA with DOT poison, swap to your third weapon, and garotte a couple of times to make sure you get your debuff and snare poisons off, then sprint back to the
nearest 'safe' zone like there's no tomorrow, and pray you don't get rooted. If picking targets in or near a crowd of enemies, go for one of the weaker ones. Healers are also a good, if tough, target, to prevent them rezzing their realm mates. Approach tougher melee-based targets with a backstab for the stun, and use fast weapons.

Lastly, watch out for the phenomenom known as "The Shadowzerg". This takes the form of one very low stealth specced Hunter/Shadowblade or (rarely) Ranger/Nightshade, accompanied by 4 or more higher stealth assasins. They wait for you to PA their bait target, then hand your arse to you.

S

SilverHood

This next:

21 +2 CS
24 +5 Stealth
2 Envenom
19 Slash
1 Dual Wield

Was gimped, quite simply.

Stealth above your level does not do anything, so 20 stealth would have been fine, giving you envenom of about 10ish?

V

VodkaFairy

Why didn't you mention champs as a class to be feared? I'm sure you wouldn't like a 100 dmg nuke as well as 150ish damage a hit with a sword. Oh, and add debuffs too :p

[edit] Pretty nice post though [/edit]

S

SilverHood

champs can be soloed by assasins relatively easy... my lvl 23 SB took out a lvl 24 elf champ with relative ease...

think the champ hit me twice in total :)

O

old.chesnor

Originally posted by SilverHood
champs can be soloed by assasins relatively easy... my lvl 23 SB took out a lvl 24 elf champ with relative ease...

If an assassin takes a champ out in Thidranki, its because the champ sucks. End of story.

O

old.chesnor

or maybe its because I was a SZ? :D

I guess you got lucky with evades. You being an SZ had little to do with it. With the slow LW, a couple of evades is bad news, and elves have low HP (worse choice for a champ EVER!). A celt would have whipped you...

I would fancy my chances against any assassin with a champ though. But sometimes lady luck deserts us...

S

sebula_strings

Silverhood, my Champion just dinged 24 and is going to have fun in Thid, if you see the lil bitch lurikeen try to kill her please...

I can always snare you and run away ( and if any of you want to run, your toasted ) and those DDs are really cute at 24 valor :)

Hope to see you soon, my NS might get back to thid someday but for now its time for Celendil.

Sorry i can't be there tomorrow in Murd, or i will have to level all day to get 26/27 :(

Cheers

A

allnewdave

i tried 25 poison but i didnt think it was worth the points above 20 (for thidranki)

20 seems like a good compromise between dammage add and base damage.

About the 99% SB ownage, either you're really good or had an easy time in thid, probably a mix of both :)

Didnt see many champions around when i was there, most were in groups. I never pheared em but definetely gave them respect.

S

SilverHood

hmm, Kaun is capped atm, so no more SB fun for me

And I use the lvl 18 (I think) snare poison, so even if you snare me, you wouldn't be going anywere... cept down :D

RM is lvl 16 atm.. haven't had time to level him

R

Roalith

As far as the stealth above your level argument goes, I'm not entirely certain. One thing I am sure of though, is that I noticed a marked difference between the amount I got picked up on by other assasins with 19+5 and 24+5 stealth. Not 100% certain, but perhaps stealth above level decreases the size of detection bubble?

Anaphylaxis, I kind of agree with you on the venom side of things. If the respec bug had lasted another day I would have tested the 20 envenom higher slash template.

Champs: Apologies for not mentioning them, the one or two run-ins I had with a champ were with a zerg nearby, so I can't really comment. However, I did bump into 2 in the same group last night. PA and a couple of garottes + poison took down the first one and left me 50% ish HP, the second was mezzed (luckily) by a nearby sorc - who commenced nuking while I attempted to tank. The DoT from my spare sword ended up finishing him off while I lay back and chewed some grass...

G

Goryk

My opinion of the best spec would be:

21CS +5
19Stealth (2 autotrains) +5
19Slash +5
15 Env +5

Always nice to be different from from most other infs and slash is very nice vs sb's :) I once managed to one shot a kobbie SB with a garotte with a similar spec without the envenom.

S

sebula_strings

Don´t kobbies have very low con?
I think you are talking about a level 20 kobbie
With that slash you have +xx dmg...

Whats the big deal?
Cheers

G

Goryk

Well he was yellow con at the time, but I thought it was funny that I hit garotte instead of perf and still one shotted him :) Everyone I speak to says I'm stupid for creating slash infs and try and warn people away from them. This just leads to a horde of cookie cutter thrust-infs and no diversity which we need in rvr :) I was just trying to point out that they can be good if you pick your targets carefully, and often sb's pick you rather than the other way round :p

L

luktar

champs are gimps and so are infils :)

i rarly die when an infil jumps my kobbie warrior
the only time i died was when i was typing and lost 2sec combat due to i missed the escape button :)

i dueld a luri champ yesterday and won with 60%hp left :)

to bad im nearly maxed out :(

D

decline

waha

-------------------------------------
Spec on my SB:

22 Crit
19 Axe
19 Stealth
Rest Envenom (Doesn't really matter)

A rare spawn in the lake south of Askheim is a lvl 24 otd that drops a 6.0 speed Axe. That's a polearm.

Combine that with capped str and a good number of initial points into str, and you have a truck of frontloaded damage.

The floor on PA's with strength capped at 128 was just below 400 on casters, with the roof around 600.

PA 200-275 damage on tinnies.

---------------------------------------

Everytime I hit PA on a caster, EVERY time, they drop, and melee is still uber - could consistantly out-tank mercs and paladins.

For an SB, I don't think any other spec compares for thid.

If you CBA to line up attacks, another viable spec I tried was:

10 Crit
17 Axe
21 Left Axe
19 Stealth
1(+5) Envenom :D

Backstab 2 and first LA chain :D Takes a few seconds to kill things, but still gets it done.

Gotta autotrain stealth to 24 also ;)

O

old.Anpu

So far most sbs didnt survive 2 hits from my celt champ :p
Having a masterpiece great hammer helps tho :D

/Anpu

D

decline

Originally posted by old.Anpu

So far most sbs didnt survive 2 hits from my celt champ :p
Having a masterpiece great hammer helps tho :D

/Anpu

With slash vulnerable scale, Hib tanks drop like large furbies off of really high shelves, and when they hit the floor, all their furby parts fly all over and stuff.

Hehe, I 2hit celt spearos regularly before I capped :)

S

SilverHood

10 Crit
17 Axe
21 Left Axe
19 Stealth
1(+5) Envenom

one problem here is envenom - drop axe one point and get envenom higher... those low lvl envenoms suck badly

O

old.chesnor

Originally posted by decline

With slash vulnerable scale, Hib tanks drop like large furbies off of really high shelves, and when they hit the floor, all their furby parts fly all over and stuff.

Hehe, I 2hit celt spearos regularly before I capped :)

Sorry but thats lies.

You might be right if you said "I 2hit A celt spearo (once) before I capped". A hero, with moose up, who is paying attention, and knows how to play a hero shouldn't have to much problem whipping an SB. Sheesh, a couple of unevaded swipes from that spear will take most SB to deaths door.

No offense to SBs, but you kinda really talk yourself up on these boards. When I played my infil, under the right circumstances I could kill almost anyone. But that meant me getting the jump, landing PA, landing poisons/debuffs, evading. Generally playing really well, and not making a single mistake. If I missed or got resisted, or didn't evade that 2h axe/spear/LW, I was half dead. If my opponent played as well as me, most times on a tank I was dead meat. Its the same for SBs.....

Like I said before, assassins taking tanks classes down is doable. But >50% of the time they hand your ass straight back to you. And if your experience was any different, you were lucky, or only met dumb tanks who can't play their class.

Assassins killing heros and champs 1on1 in Thidranki. Yeah right.

S

swords

only time i ever killed a tank solo was a blue con armsman who wasn't paying attention. and i critted the PA aswell...and even then i had to do 2 more garrottes to finish him off...

and i always got impaled whenever a spearo popped up to fight me...

G

Gabrial

Originally posted by old.chesnor

No offense to SBs, but you kinda really talk yourself up on these boards. When I played my infil, under the right circumstances I could kill almost anyone. But that meant me getting the jump, landing PA, landing poisons/debuffs, evading. Generally playing really well, and not making a single mistake. If I missed or got resisted, or didn't evade that 2h axe/spear/LW, I was half dead. If my opponent played as well as me, most times on a tank I was dead meat. Its the same for SBs.....

Ditto - if I was on the ball I would go round deliberately finding stealthers to take out and I reckon 80% of the time i came out on top. Took a tank on once - just a good job I have a snare poison so I could get away - wow he hit hard:)

D

decline

Originally posted by old.chesnor

Sorry but thats lies.

You might be right if you said "I 2hit A celt spearo (once) before I capped". A hero, with moose up, who is paying attention, and knows how to play a hero shouldn't have to much problem whipping an SB. Sheesh, a couple of unevaded swipes from that spear will take most SB to deaths door.

What would I have to gain from lying?

I regularly 2shot celt Spear-os.

Its a matter of high strength, 6.0 strength, and a PA and a Garrote (Along with a lvl 5 poison.)

SBs are over powered :p

K

Kurfew

Well im almost in thid.
Couple more nites xpin will do it..

im a 5 spec Sb:

Stealth18+5. Cs 10. LA 21+3. Axe 15+4. Envenom 12+1(looking
to get it to +3.

Any celt hero wanna post his Name here <.........>and il
look for ya in thid,then we can see who's handing who's ass. :)

Im confident in my spec and character that tanks and stealthers
will be my main targets...Casters can breath easy,i see no point
farming Rp's from them and capping fast, i wanna have a battle
with other classes that present a challenge!..1 shotin aint no fun,
its just a quick way back to xpin :(

Awol Vex Lv21 Sb <Vikingar>

Fukuj Malice 41 Rm
Bulgebelly FatButt 36 Sham
Darkwych Malice 24 Sm <Vikingar>

O

old.chesnor

Always makes me laugh when I see SBs giving it the big one here. "Muahahaha, bring it on, I can kill heros nps!!!11". Whatever. How comes if you can kill heroes, champions, et al, you can't kill my infil or my smite cleric ? You're perhaps not as overpowered and uber as you like to make out :p

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If an SB kills a hero 1on1, its because the hero sucks(or got really unlucky). A skilled hero, well specced, in good equipment, WILL hand your ass right back to you, believe me.

D

decline

Chesnor:
Don't know who your inf is and am in alb now anyway :p

Also, the reason I cant kill a cleric is a matter of Mez and non-slash vulnerable chain. Slash cuts through scale no problem, especially with a lack of resists so abundant in thid.

But GG trying to prove something I said wrong, you must feel much better about yourself.

O

old.chesnor

nps decline ;)

I am sure you killed heros, and I am sure your'e not lying..I just get a bit tired of all the leet SBs (and infils, to be fair) coming here and proclaiming how fucking fantastic they are. I just know different.

Having said that, I killed a few foes I shouldn't have in Thidranki with my infil. I think its the total shock tanks get when they aren't paying attention, suddenly getting an assassin PAing them and getting debuffed and snared. They probably panic and spam the wrong styles or just try to run. Both bad mistakes.

D

decline

That's what I did when my warrior was in thid and I was a nuub.

*PA*

Ahhh! Feck!!! ARgh!!!!1111

By the time my hands were done stumbling around and found the mouse to click a style I was dead :-X

My log looked a bit like:

You prepare to perform polar rift!
You are no longer preparing polar rift!
UberFiltrator hits you for a truck load! (+34)
You hit UberFiltrator for 56! (-2)
ou prepare to perform polar rift!
You are no longer preparing polar rift!
UberFiltrator hits you for lots of stuff while Venom is raping you!
Decline was just killed by someone who should be nerfed!

O

old.Anpu

Originally posted by decline
Slash cuts through scale no problem, especially with a lack of resists so abundant in thid.

I have all melee resits and body capped :D rest a bit low tho :(

/Anpu

K

Kurfew

would that be Anpu wyvernspur from Mid/Excal?

And to Chesnor..wots up m8..do you want all Sb's/Infil/Ns to just
walk around steathed then 1 shot a poor caster..cos there told
you cant take a tank..

i say more stealthers go for tanks etc, we all know we own cloth
wearers..where's the challenge?
I would much rather try to take out a class which might or might not own my ass..

But i do agree with one thing..theres way to many stealthers
on these boards claiming total ownage..when all u ever see them do is pick on casters.i was in thid tonite with my Sm and all ya saw
we infiltrators ganking casters..NOT the lone tanks wandering around UNLESS they conned Blue...

Awol Vex Lv22 Sb <Vikingar> Almost to Thid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom