recordable DVD stuff

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I recently noticed that my mahoosive 2GB folder of piccies won't really fit on a normal CD-rom

So, whats a cheapo DVD recorder for the PC, and how easy are they to use? I have a Pioneer DVD515 downstairs, can I record films and stuff and watch it on that? Its probably 5 years old now so it doesn't know about DVDR stuff.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Tom

A standard rewritable DVD drive (CD-R/CD-RW/DVD±R/DVD±RW etc.) is fairly cheap nowadays, although the maximum DVD writing speeds are still around 8x-12x, with many players only hitting 4x (although some have been issued firmwire updates to up the speed).

In terms of ease of use, it's essentially like writing to a CD, indeed your existing software may be able to perform the tasks you need (check, though, as sometimes software needs to be upgraded to support DVD or dual-layer DVDs).

As for audio or video DVDs, I'm not sure about copying them (quite aside from the legal aspects). According to VideoHelp.com your Pioneer player does support an array of DVD formats, but always check what the manual says first.

A couple of things in general to note, though. First, you'll likely want dual-layer DVD support from the drive you buy (4.7GB thus becomes 9.4GB), but note dual-layer media can cost more. Secondly, note the drive writing speed, as I say they're still fairly low, so it's worth finding the fastest you can afford. Thirdly, check your burning software supports, or can support, DVDs (sometimes DVD burners may come bundled with such software).

Finally, note that HD-DVD and Blu-ray are around the corner. Both offer storage well beyond today's DVDs (10s of GBs) but both require special hardware support. Rumour has it the two factions are actually working on a compatible standard so the market doesn't bifurcate, so that may be another twist to come. That said, it's highly unlikely anyone would really need that much space at the mo for home use.

Kind Regards

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
NEC and Pioneer DVD-Recorders are generally well regarded, though the latest Pioneer 109's are having some trouble. If you buy one, it will replace your CD/DVD drive so there's not much reason in getting an external one, which cost more. Plextor drives are also worth considering.

I've experimented with some movies and slideshows to play on my dvd player, it worked fine(my DVD player can play CDRW/DVDRW - I've no idea how common this is). Nero6 works fine for just about anything you want to do!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thanks Escape. I want to 'externalise' things, because eventually I'm going to shove this big noisy box in a dark hole somewhere, and enjoy a truly silent computer.

BTW: Will this drive also record normal CDroms?

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Yes it does and it seems to do most DVD formats as well, which is something I should have paid more attention to :(

Bob007

Prince Among Men
I'd go for a pioneer 109 tbh, Shop i work at sells 100 or so a week. Very rare to see 1 back and even more rare to have a complaint against 1. But then thats all down to media used. Pioneer 109 will support the new -R dvd9's (dual layer) Which are said to be cheaper then the +R dvd9's. Also wtih pioneer being so popular, They have a good firmware support, So almost future proof on Dye's that come out.

The freecom you've shown is OK, Am not a fan but they do work and function. (have 1 in my works PC atm) Just bare in mind speeds won't be great due to it being external, But its just an IDE device lumped in an external box. So you could prob put it internal if you so wished later on.

In short, Pioneer 109 and external case if ya wanted external, But the freecom will do the job just fine :)

Just watch what media ya useing, Try to stick with Ritek dye's and the world will be a good place :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Tom

I can only really agree with what's been said, as I myself don't actually own a rewritable DVD, hehe :) Certainly from a specs point of view that drive looks great, but if you were eto go with an internal option Pioneer and NEC do have good reputations.

I've heard one thing with external drives (HDDs, optical drives etc.), that Firewire can be less resource demanding than USB2 because of the way it works, but I must say I've never really had any complaints myself with USB2 devices.

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
In terms of ease of use, it's essentially like writing to a CD, indeed your existing software may be able to perform the tasks you need (check, though, as sometimes software needs to be upgraded to support DVD or dual-layer DVDs).

It should be noted that the standard Windows XP drag'n'drop way of burning CD-Rs does not work with DVDs.

I use Easy CD Creator which does the job nicely, and Norton Ghost can handle DVD-Rs too.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for that, Xane, the thought had crossed my mind as a) I'm thinking of upgrading my notebook to a DVD+/-RW drive b) I use the Windows/Roxio facility for burning CDs at present. Having just Googled it, it seems Microsoft are planning built-in support in Longhorn (I'm not sure if the current builds feature it, perhaps not given their early state).

Kind Regards

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Definitely go the Firewire route if you're going to get an external DVD writer. I don't why its faster than USB 2.0, it just seems to work that way.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, thanks for all the help. I just prefer it on the desktop, its much easier than leaning down and coughing up a load of dust, while trying not to get my fingers tangled in the mass of cables down there :D

I really must sort this back room out, its just a rubble-strewn floorboarded plaster-falling-off tip right now.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I got the LG one, it has firewire and does everything :) Sat on my desktop now, looks very nice.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=163396

I have an Adaptec 2940UW card and a Plextor 40x SCSI2 cdrom if anyone wants them. The plex can read protected CDs with no problems. Yours for the price of the postage and a couple of quid.

What DVDs do I buy for this drive? I'd like a re-writeable big DVD that I can use to periodically back up my stuff.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I also have that player (Pioneer 515), bloody fantastic machines and still up there with the best today.

I recall never having a problem playing stuff that was on dvd-r's. Mine is region free though so obviously if yours isn't it will only play region 2 stuff.

Man, I love my Pioneer and its blue light goodness.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That blue light does my head in. I can't look at it or my eyes go funny.

I wish it had a better remote, but FWIW its been a top class player, had it chipped when I bought it (same shop hehe) and although its a pain to change region (is yours the 'hidden menu'?) I plan to keep it until hidef comes along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom