Recommendations please

T

TedTheDog

I've read all the Iain M Banks books and I'm into the Culture books in particular.
Any authors for sci-fi you can suggest?

T

Testin da Cable

how about Peter Hamilton. he springs to mind as I've just read "The Neutronium Alchemist", part 2 of the "Night's Dawn" trilogy of which The Reality Dysfinction is the first book.

X

xane

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Banks and he signed three of his culture books for me :)

Can't really suggest anything more modern than the usual sci-fi mob, Iain Banks is certainly the best I've read though.

D

Damini

Simon R Green - the Deathstalker series.

O

old.milou

I've just re-read (from my youth) The Game Players of Titan by Philip K Dick (of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Minority Report fame). My first sci-fi for ages and rather good it was/is too.

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
how about Peter Hamilton. he springs to mind as I've just read "The Neutronium Alchemist", part 2 of the "Night's Dawn" trilogy of which The Reality Dysfinction is the first book.

Seconded!!

Ive read all of them and the other books he's written. Very good indeed.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Jack Vance and Clifford Simak are superb.

W

whipped

How about The Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin ;)

D

dysfunction

Also anything from Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat series was great!

W

Will

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, and the book he wrote after, The Diamond Age. Both very different, but both very good.

Edit : This one has been bugging me all day, but it finally came back to me. Michael Marshall Smith - Only Forward, Spares and One of Us

A

adams901

I dont know if you have alread read them but I found the following books by Arthur C Clark to be great reading.

Rendezvous With Rama
Rama II
The Garden of Rama
Rama Revealed

In 2130, a new celestial body is discovered heading toward the Sun. Earthlings name this object "Rama" -- a vast cylinder, about 31 miles long and 12 miles across, with a mass of at least ten trillion tons. The spaceship Endeavor, directed by Commander Bill Norton, lands on Rama and has three weeks to explore its hollow interior. Inside the vessel they discover a completely self-contained world -- a world that has been cruising through space for perhaps more than a million years.

T

Trebz

Originally posted by Will.
Michael Marshall Smith - Only Forward

Really enjoyed this book til it went weird, the humour is great :)

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Damini
Simon R Green - the Deathstalker series.

Seconded!!

You could also try :

David Eddings

Terry Goodkind

David Gemell

Robert Jordan (Wheel of time)

Just started reading Robert Jordans (after someones recommendation on the GF) and enjoying them. Got the first 2 volumes for xmas and almost finished :)

W

wolfeeh

oooh

rama series sounds interesting indeed...

btw the original aliens books - earth hive / nightmare asylum / genocide / the female war ... are all rather good :> if short.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Damini
Laz, you read Deathstalker Destiny yet?

erm...... I think so Damini.

Problem is - I read so many books, I forget the titles.

I know I have read ALL of the books which our local library has in the Deathstalker Series.

If you can give a little hint as to the storyline, it might refresh my memory.

Only can say that I enjoyed reading these books.

D

Damini

Set after the Deathstalker series, in the Golden Age of Humanity, and focuses on the descendents of the original books. Only came out within the last month or so...

L

~Lazarus~

in that case... no I havent read it yet.

im away (travelling) next week so may look out for it.

M

Munkey-

I cant believe you havent read the Rama series......

ye gods.

I have a nice little red leather bound book full of his stories. he really is an excellent author

D

dysfunction

House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe

Not Sci Fi but still very good

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by TedTheDog
I've read all the Iain M Banks books and I'm into the Culture books in particular.
Any authors for sci-fi you can suggest?
Originally posted by dysfunction
House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe

Not Sci Fi but still very good

maybe these forums should be restricted to only those people who CAN read AND understand :p

D

dysfunction

yes yes yes...

But one must learn to expand one's horizons and seek to appreciate other creative styles and themes...

:cool:

L

legendario

I just thought I'd add that if you haven't read 2001 by Arthur C. then I suggest you do that now....go now!

Old but easily one of the best Sci-Fi books I have read.

D

dysfunction

How about the DUNE series?

Thats quite good.

D

djpringle

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
Azimov's Foundation stuff?

The original first three are worth a read but the story loses it a bit with the concluding two parts. The two pre-lude books are good but not as good as the originals.

W

wolfeeh

well

if he wants to expand his themes. or whatever the hell you said... he needs to read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami...

preferably in the twin-mini-books gold boxed edition rather than the single paperback.

E

Excess1on

how about

Robert A. Heinlein

Friday

Stranger in a Strange Land

Between Planets

The Puppet Masters

Red Planet

Star Ship Troopers

to name a few

Users who are viewing this thread