Recommend me a single-player FPS

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
CoD4 awsome single player mode
Bioshock, best story driven single player game (ever imo)
Orange box
Crysis (for the pretties alone)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
What the fuck is the Orange Box?

Crysis is stupid hard even on easy, can't believe people find it easy :(

Awesome game though with amazing visuals.

Best single player games ever were Unreal and Half Life.

Debaser

One of Freddy's beloved
What the fuck is the Orange Box?

It's a box to put oranges in you fucking idiot.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is still aces, and for a bit of nostalgia get the Doom wads off steam and play them through the doomsday engine with a few of the add-ons installed (although stay away from the 3d model packs, they ruin the mood)

I can't think of any new shooters I've enjoyed the last few years, besides the obligotory source multiplayers, and I only play those for the human contact. I'm so lonely.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
RTCW was fucking great SP wasnt it, though I think most people here didnt like it :(

Trem its the package that TF2 and HL2 Ep 2 came in.

Trem

and for a bit of nostalgia get the Doom wads off steam and play them through the doomsday engine with a few of the add-ons installed (although stay away from the 3d model packs, they ruin the mood)

What is this you speak of? I can find the Dooms on Steam but not the doomsday engine.

I would love to play the Dooms again.

Debaser

One of Freddy's beloved
Doomsday is a source port (nothing to do with valve source)

Now there's quite a few of these, but I found Doomsday to be the best. With this you get support for higher resolutions, mouse look, strafing and the ability to use higher resolution textures. You can play the game as you remember it rather than the cold harsh reality of how it actually was, basically.

The Doomsday engine: Welcome to Doomsday HQ

The Add-ons: Doomsday Addons

Highly configurable and quite straight forward, you can customize to however you want to play it.

Doomsday Engine Guide

Trem

Cheers Deb, thats my weekend sorted out.

So I get the engine then get the games off Source? Then what do I do? Haven't messed yet just asking in case I fuck it up.

Debaser

One of Freddy's beloved
Yes, if you buy through steam the WADs will be in the relevant Steam Doom folder.

I have Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Master levels of Doom.

Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are the important wads, put the important wads somewhere you can easily navigate to, I put them in the Doomsday program folder.

Any of the Add-ons you've downloaded and extracted must go in the Add-on folder which is in the Snowberry folder, which is in the Doomsday program folder. Understood?

When you begin Doomsday for the first time theres a quick, basic setup.

First up is your language, then you tick the boxes of whichever relevent games you have, then you navigate to the important wads it asks for, it's all very straight forward.

When it's all done the Doomsday frontend will appear. Here it gets more faffy, if still straight forward. It's best just to mess about and get it the way you like it, it's great if you're just filling time. One thing i'll add is make sure you select 'allow external with pwads' It's under the graphical menu of the settings tab under Shared settings. You'll need it set if you have the Hi-res menu add-on.

How it is without Doomsday:

ImageShack - Hosting :: dosbox2007080519162943ls7.jpg

How you can get it to look if you so wish:

ImageShack - Hosting :: doomsday200708051908579jy7.jpg

Although mine doesn't look like that, I prefer 2D sprites and no HUD.

Trem

Awesome!

Cheers for that.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
fwiw, imo Bioshock gets old quickly, even though it has some elements that I have not yet seen before. Atm, I am making sweet gaming love to Portal and COD4, where imo COD4 is amazing in the amount of graphics detailing et al and rules the roost currently in the realm of SP.

And Debaser, that's awesome. Makes me want to get it, mate!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I really enjoyed cod4 single player, but for me it excels as a multiplayer game -not necessarily on pc though. It really is set up for a console, the smaller map sizes being the biggest reason (although mods and user made maps could help there on the pc). The huge amount of game modes keep it fresh, and the smaller team sizes (most games are 6 a side or less) mean there is always an element of teamwork even if the deathmatchers do not realise it :)

I may have to acquire a copy of it on pc, just to see how pretty it can look.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
cod 4 is ace single player, no doubt about it, well worth the pennies
and would you kindly buy bioshock , we need there to be a sequel !

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Crysis and Bioshock were just pretties, nothing more - and don't get me started on your MoH and CoD poops! ;)

We have been short of decent pc games lately ...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
buy bioshock

Nononononono. Don't buy it - pirate it. Teach those fuckwits to shove their DRM'ed software up their arse.

For the record, I had it on pre-order, had no intention of downloading it, then found out about the DRM and cancelled.

Mabs

Crysis and Bioshock were just pretties, nothing more - and don't get me started on your MoH and CoD poops! ;)

We have been short of decent pc games lately ...

debatable
most FPS games are excuses to shoot nicely animated people in the face

if you want a good story line, try a RPG :D

Mabs

as for COD, its nice shiny graphics, and i loved the story in it

<plot spoiler>
ooraah ! were the americans, arent we gods gift. oh shit, we really fucked up, the worlds going to end, quick ! get the brits to save us !

and a "good" pc game is entirely subjective, some people love Fifa games, i cant abide em. depends what you look for

Portal is a very good game tho , thats PC. there are many others depending on your genre :p

TdC

I agree with that too: loving Portal to bits atm :)

TdC

Nononononono. Don't buy it - pirate it. Teach those fuckwits to shove their DRM'ed software up their arse.

For the record, I had it on pre-order, had no intention of downloading it, then found out about the DRM and cancelled.

whawhawhaat? I thought the major people had stopped that DRM nonsense? clearly I am deluded :(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
as for COD, its nice shiny graphics, and i loved the story in it

<plot spoiler>
ooraah ! were the americans, arent we gods gift. oh shit, we really fucked up, the worlds going to end, quick ! get the brits to save us !

and a "good" pc game is entirely subjective, some people love Fifa games, i cant abide em. depends what you look for

Portal is a very good game tho , thats PC. there are many others depending on your genre :p

Mabs agree with your spoiler 100%. Even the Yanks have to admit the SAS are the best :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
whawhawhaat? I thought the major people had stopped that DRM nonsense? clearly I am deluded :(

Lots of hype about the DRM. Read into properly. You cannot really blame publishers for trying when they are getting done left, right and centre.

Bioshock is a very good single player game, I recommend getting it and rewarding the effort put into making it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Would like to take Crysis off that list, bugged pile of wank. Picked it up for £25 (thought, why not?) gave up playing after it fucked up and made it impossible to complete a level (friendly NPCs standing there like muppets etc) for nth time.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Lots of hype about the DRM. Read into properly. You cannot really blame publishers for trying when they are getting done left, right and centre.

You get 5 installs, once they're used up. Done.

If you install it twice on two different user accounts on the same pc that uses up an install.

If you change your hardware sufficiently it uses up an install.

I appreciate them trying to fight piracy, but games will always be pirated. I'd like to see figures that prove anti piracy measures make a significant difference to sales. In this case (as I've said before) I had it pre-ordered but cancelled when I read about this crap. People who pay for the game should have a better experience than people who pirate it. In this situation, it's not the case.

TdC

seriously? holy heck, and people claim Microsoft was harsh, and all I have to do is call them when 'Doze messes up!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
They've made some crappy efforts to make things better - they've made a deactivation program to reinstate one of your install credits but I hear it doesn't work very well. Plus calling them is a nightmare.

You're right about MS, regardless of how frustrating their activation process can be, they're phone support is usually pretty decent.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Would like to take Crysis off that list, bugged pile of wank. Picked it up for £25 (thought, why not?) gave up playing after it fucked up and made it impossible to complete a level (friendly NPCs standing there like muppets etc) for nth time.

You messed up something,no problems expect framerates :D Althought i claim 25 fps is playable! Atleast on Crysis case

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
possible cysis spoiler

It was on the docks level where you end up calling in the air strike on the ship, I didn't follow the direct approach through the gates, instead i nicked a boat and went around the other side, went through check points in the wrong order. managed to take out the boat but when it asks you to defend the docks and take out the helicopter it didn't spawn. Started the level again and went through them in the right order and it worked fine. damn annoying though

The AI is pretty appalling too, just scripted nonsense, the same old star trek buddy syndrome that I thought we had got rid of with CoD4 (perfect buddy AI in that) You just know that grunt is going to get shot

at one point when we came across a mine field i figured i would fill up my main weapon by just letting allies walk across the mine field, and collecting their ammo, worked a treat

Really annoys me that you are forced to use the enemy assault rifle rather than you own, though I just get all moist with the sub machine gun :)

After playing it a bit more, all in all its not a bad game, its just not finished.

Lethul

FH is my second home
bump!

amazing nobody mentioned S.T.A.L.K.E.R :)

Omg the atmosphere in that game.

taB

Part of the furniture
Heh, Lethul was going to post the same :)

Downloaded STALKER from steam over the weekend on recommendation and loving it so far, spooky, realistic damage, fecking hard. All in all a damn good game. And I'm yet to get well into it. It can make you fucking jump out ya seat though.

Bioshock while initially colourful fun is nothing new despite what people say. It gives option A or option B at certain points, it's an eye-candy FPS with choices for retards.

COD4 is fun single player, I've yet to try the multi but am told by many people it's really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom