Help Recommend HDDs

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Finally got around to buying a NAS (Synology), but I just ordered the enclosure, no drives yet. If I want a couple of 2TB drives, any recommendations? I'm looking for the best combination of performance v. price rather than the most uber drives available. Ta. (The NAS will be pretty much exclusively used as a media server).

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would start with the compatible drives for that model. Most drives will work in it but some of the features like Power Saving ect do not work on all drives, Synology have a fairly good database of supported drives so start there and pick ones that match your budget. Speed wise I believe the GB LAN will be your bottle neck? So worrying about the fastest drives is not necessary just pick quiet energy efficient ones that are supported.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Have a look at the new WD Red drives, designed for home and small office NAS boxes. Believe they are low power like the WD Greens but have the reliability of their RE Enterprise Storage drives. Slightly more expensive than the Greens but less likely to go pop, by all accounts.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Bodhi said:
Have a look at the new WD Red drives, designed for home and small office NAS boxes. Believe they are low power like the WD Greens but have the reliability of their RE Enterprise Storage drives. Slightly more expensive than the Greens but less likely to go pop, by all accounts.

I second this. The Red drives are supposed to be very good.

Also the low power usage means less noise as well when not in use.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have 4 Samsung S2 2TB disks they are all around 2 years old and all from the same batch. I am very tempted to swap two of them out with different disks just to split them up a bit. With 4 of the same am I am likely to have more than one fail as i am to have one. If so are 4 different disks advisable?

Embattle

FH is my second home
I second this. The Red drives are supposed to be very good.

Also the low power usage means less noise as well when not in use.

Generally most HDs are a lot quieter than they used to be and all LP type drives are relatively quiet. One of the reasons I steered away from the WD green range was due to problems with the error recovery control which would cause a raid to rebuild at times due to the long ERC (TLER on WD drives), the Red range allows you to adjust the time down and thus the raid won't keep rebuilding and this issue seemed much more common to hardware based raids.

I have 4 Samsung S2 2TB disks they are all around 2 years old and all from the same batch. I am very tempted to swap two of them out with different disks just to split them up a bit. With 4 of the same am I am likely to have more than one fail as i am to have one. If so are 4 different disks advisable?

You would still be unlucky to have a failure in such a case.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/red-wd20efrx-wd30efrx-nas,3248.html

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This. They weren't out when I got mine so I'm running Greens but I'd certainly buy Reds from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom