REAVERS: Any good or what?

L

lordbazzer

Thinking of starting a Reaver but are they actually any good?

Are they wanted in PvE groups?

How useful are they in RvR groups?

Any opinions from non-Reavers?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

:)

L

loxleyhood

Reavers would be the best Albion tank if they had access to det. They don't. Roll a merc. :)

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

They are good fun to play. PBAOE effects can be pretty annoying sometimes though.

S

samildanachh

only a n00b reaver uses that pbaoe in rvr.
and they r very good fun if u have a buffbot and know how to solo.
i culd take down 4-5 lvl50 hibs solo with my reaver when it was in its prime.

O

old.Kian

Originally posted by lordbazzer
Thinking of starting a Reaver but are they actually any good?

Are they wanted in PvE groups?

How useful are they in RvR groups?

Any opinions from non-Reavers?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

:)

Any good - definitely... if you know how to play them right. Flex reavers, at least, have to fight like a light tank and maneuver for position and reaction styles, it's not a "SpamDoublefrost4TehWin" type class :) The advantage over mercs is that you can use a shield without giving up your damage output as an assist tank... disadvantage is no Determination.

Never had a problem getting a PvE group with my reaver, at least no more problem than any other class besides rejuve cleric, ice wizzy and paladin has :) You're a shield tank - not quite as durable as a paladin or armsman but still able to tank for a group, you have twice as many instas as a pally to grab mobs with and if someone else is main tank you can ladle out a lot of assist damage. Just be very careful with the area-effect chants... as in keep them on a separate quickbar from everything else, ideally.

Can't comment on reaver RvR firsthand as yet - all my experience so far is BGs and random stealthers in DF (who I've duly owned - reavers are a GREAT one-vs-one class). However, given how much "... was killed by Tildai" spam I saw in Emain earlier today, I'd hazard a guess they aren't completely useless :) Not having Determination hurts... but that's because Determination as an RA is too powerful, not any weakness of Reavers per se. I'd be very surprised if Determination isn't either nerfed or made available in some form to other classes in the upcoming RA review by Mythic, and if that happens Reavers are likely to become alb's latest fotm class.

S

samildanachh

aye when i was xping in ac i wuld make my own groups and would allways be the puller over the paladin due to having 2 taunts effectively.

A

Asha

you have more than 2 taunts to get agro too :) Unless in a tight space ofc... but just spamming the lame dd aoe gathers the mobs pretty fast.

for pve, I've found that you are as good a tank as an armsman/merc/friar/paladin BUT you need a paladin (who knows what twisting is :rolleyes: ) because you eat end up very fast between dds dots and shield styles. If you get a paladin and start your own group then exp'ing is easy - especially if you keep sheild high which keeps paladins happy since you can block for them.

A perfect group is paladin reaver cleric necro - really really fast good exp group, but even just reaver + paladin is great when you have high shield so the paladin doesn't get hit much.

for rvr I dunno I haven't gotten there. I had some fun uncovering alot of stealthers camping apk, but having really rvr'ed.

It's definately a fun class to play.

S

sigh

take the sorc away and use a reaver, no mezz, but then no soft target. Amensia has better range, but interuptable.

O

old.Kian

Originally posted by Asha

A perfect group is paladin reaver cleric necro - really really fast good exp group, but even just reaver + paladin is great when you have high shield so the paladin doesn't get hit much.

With a shield reaver plus pally you really don't need the others... ok, maybe a cleric because those gimp pallies don't have Indigosnake to heal themselves while their partner has aggro :) Pally is a must because reavers eat through their endurance bar - especially if they're as slam-happy as I am :)

Personally, I specced high in shield for most of Ulfric's career - kept soulrending at level until 36, let flex lag (keeping flex at level with + from items) while I trained shield so I got 42 shield at level 45, and only now am I bringing flex up. Been a solid team player with that spec all the way up.

A

Asha

yeah but buffs are always nice and you can take on harder mobs if you have some healing luv... and the necro can feed teh paladin reaver and cleric power :)

but yes, reaver and paladin can exp very well w/o any help - especially if you have room to use aoe debuffs some.

T

Tilda

Yes they are good.
yes they are fun.
In big boys RvR that wont get you a group.
If you want dammage roll a 2her if you want speed roll a merc.
Get det 5 whatever :p

Tilda

W

Waok

Firstly I think it's great you are interested in starting a reaver, and makes me happy that there will be another reaver on the server, a class lacking in popluation on excalibur is something I hate, we are such a fun class, we have sooo much group utility, and are a great class to play in both pve and rvr.

We can tank, af debuff, dps debuff, de-stealth, self dps buff, self heal, evade, spec slam, leviathan .. and much much more ;-)

Your a great tanking machine, despite your low hps and chain, you pack a nice punch, and so does your group cos of your debuffs ;-)

In PvE, i found myself pulling off indigo - constrictor chain, most of time this got me aggro ;-) only problem is shield spec, shield is relatively low up until high 40's, so tanking can be tricky sometimes ;-)

In RvR, you really need toget yourself a rvr guild, a very active one anyways, most groups wont take you cos your a hybrid and you dont have access to det :-(

Which is why, if your in a good active guild, getting ra's like purge, ip etc, wont take you long!

Imo, I think most groups think that our AoE's break mezz.. they dont ;-) Im refering to the blue effect, the red effect does :p

The greatest class imo, the most balanced aswell ;-)

Need any help, or items, ive got stuff in vualt you can have for free ;-)

hope you will make a reaver! Pm me ingame sometime !

N

NightyP

Strongest solo class around imo. I know pole armsman in my guild love my abs debuff as they cap dmg :)

PvE was great fun, better when you had agro so you could pull of your styles, Cobra lifetap rox PvE, but its near impossible to get it off in rvr.

in RvR, 2 assisting cross guarding Reavers can do wonders, Whyp and me have been able to kill twice numbers due to High dmg and High defense, plus we have 2 IP's (UToS, reaver specific RA) and lifetaps.

If you want a fun class and dont mind being mezzed much, roll a reaver :)
Hate waiting around with mezz, roll a det tank. :)

S

samildanachh

once reaver hits 4l3
thats when the solo ownage begins.

H

hotrat

The chants are fine in rvr so long as you dont use the gimp dd damage one.
They don't break mezz and they interupt, very handy vs hib pbae indeed :)

If a reaver is in the pbae slamming/hitting/whatever the sorc can fall back to 1800 range and spam ae amnesia safely out of range of chanter insta asd.

Be sure to stay in the pbae as a reaver though, keep them all interupted :) and if you get mezzed make sure you got a good minstrel to demezz you as soon as possible. Try and save purge for slam I guess (vs hib pbae), but such a shame you don't get det as some fights you will need to purge mezz/root :(

S

samildanachh

root-mess is the killer for reavers. A good de-messer and ur fine though.

W

Waok

Worrying thing in AC last night, a L46 reaver wasnt using Debuffs, I asked why (while playing cleric), he said it breaks mezz.. ofc this shocked me that someone who is L46 didnt know something very important about his class, so I told him that it didnt break mezz.. then he goes and says stfu, dont tell me how to play my class ¬_¬

With any class, always ask questions,
I'm always asking and learning new things.

N

NightyP

he proberly did not consider himself as nooby as you Waok :p and did not want to admit he was wrong :D

A

Asha

I don't use them alot in exping cause they get resisted vs purple mobs just about everytime while eating power. If I have a power regen class w/me then I'll put them on for the hell of it. I am a bit of a noob tho and usually end up pulling extra mobs more often than the debuff actually hits red/purple cons :p

F

Fagane

Would Tireless 2 solve the problem for a starting reaver? Or is there a better choice out of the 4 RA from BG1?

S

Silenzio

tireless 2 sadly is a waste ov rps... eventho u only need one second ov resto have full end again...

lvl 1 is enough

D

Draylor

Originally posted by Waok
a L46 reaver wasnt using Debuffs, I asked why
The other reason not to use them being to avoid the wipeout when some idiot pulls a train of 10 mobs through your PB debuff.

N

NightyP

Turn the pbaoe off then when mobs run by.
If you leave one pulse running it eats power slowly, its only when you try and twist them that is takes half a power bar in a few short seconds :)

S

samildanachh

any reaver worth a pinch of salt shuld use end regen pots, i know for certain that me whyp and nightpetal used them constantly.

A

Asha

end pots get expensive in exping :)

get a paladin, it's alot cheaper :p

I think I eat end cause my weapon was always low spec and sheild always high so I relied on shield more than most ppl might if they aren't autoing. :)

S

samildanachh

any reaver worth a pinch of salt shuld use end regen pots, i know for certain that me whyp and nightpetal used them constantly.

N

NightyP

might start using bounty gems to cut down on the expense for a while :p to let my funds grow again...

A

Asha

45 ^^

I didn't claim to have rvr exp :)

But I have plans to kidnap guild paladins to serve my end needs. They just don't know yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom