Reaver question

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
44 slash, 42 shield 47 SR (autotrain a little)

I want decently high SR at least 45 for the damage add spell.

other option i have is 50 slash 50 sr and rest on shield but than i miss out on slam.

would 44 slash rather than 50 gimp out the spec.

i really do like the idea of flex, but flex without slam isnt really appealing to me, and with the slam levi spec i miss out on on a few of the level 45 spells.

how do spell procs work, say for example i have a weapon with a level 42 proc on it, the spell that it procs is it a level 42 spell as in on the same resistance table for a level 42 proc or does it just proc at level 42 and use a different resistence table (target able to resist the proc)

If it is a level 42 (the proc) would MOM, WP and MOF effect the spell ?

does MOM/WP effect things like the proc and pbao puls ? or just the LT's.

Keeg

Fledgling Freddie
Kalidur said:
44 slash, 42 shield 47 SR (autotrain a little)

I want decently high SR at least 45 for the damage add spell.

other option i have is 50 slash 50 sr and rest on shield but than i miss out on slam.

Slash is very weak damage overall compare to flex styles, and the 45 damage add spell doesnt make up for that - contra levi spec reaver.

would 44 slash rather than 50 gimp out the spec.

i really do like the idea of flex, but flex without slam isnt really appealing to me, and with the slam levi spec i miss out on on a few of the level 45 spells.
Spell arent really that good.
But good idea on lowering slash tho- (however you will need high weaponskill for rvr\pvp to hit thouse 50shield users, so imo go 50 flex)

how do spell procs work, say for example i have a weapon with a level 42 proc on it, the spell that it procs is it a level 42 spell as in on the same resistance table for a level 42 proc or does it just proc at level 42 and use a different resistence table (target able to resist the proc)

If it is a level 42 (the proc) would MOM, WP and MOF effect the spell ?

does MOM/WP effect things like the proc and pbao puls ? or just the LT's.

MoM, WP and MoF does NOT affect weapon procs, not sure about the pbaoe puls. And lvl 42 requirement usually means its a lvl 42 spell meaning it uses lvl 42 resistance tables.

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
hmm..

The higher SR lines don't really scale-out as well as the lower levels - certainly you need to push shield up to get the blocks to follow on with the reactives in the flex line.

42 shield - 50 flex (for levi - pretty cool) - rest SR. It's cookie cutter, but does what it says on the tin.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
pretty much if you have a reaver 50 whip 42 shield 30ish or whatever in SR you will own, if you get the krojer haste ring and /use it b4 slam you get 3 levi's off (also use a quick whip)

your gonna near kill most classes who dont purge.

if you go slash its 100% str and if your an inconnu its not too gr8, crush also is 100% str.

oh yeah levi is ranged iirc so you can get it of quite easy when chasing a caster.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Bahumat said:
pretty much if you have a reaver 50 whip 42 shield 30ish or whatever in SR you will own, if you get the krojer haste ring and /use it b4 slam you get 3 levi's off (also use a quick whip)

if you go slash its 100% str and if your an inconnu its not too gr8, crush also is 100% str.

oh yeah levi is ranged iirc so you can get it of quite easy when chasing a caster.

hmm, if you use a small shield with a fast timer you should get 4 levis off then, because i remember doing some testing and with a small shield and generally fast(ish) weapon u can get 3 levis off in slam :)

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
i'm trying to do something alternative to the reaver other than flex, a reaver in its right is a very good tank. Flex is almost all purely conditional where as slash to me is the best anytime weapon spec. i'd like a decent spec that has constant damage output regardless of wether you get slam off or not, what if you miss slam a few times thats a few hits wasted.

so what if i were to make a reaver that isnt flex specced what would be ideal :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Kalidur said:
i'm trying to do something alternative to the reaver other than flex, a reaver in its right is a very good tank. Flex is almost all purely conditional where as slash to me is the best anytime weapon spec. i'd like a decent spec that has constant damage output regardless of wether you get slam off or not, what if you miss slam a few times thats a few hits wasted.

so what if i were to make a reaver that isnt flex specced what would be ideal :D

yeah but all casters will run hence easy to levi, and any tank can be slammed.

danmrman

Fledgling Freddie
What about backslash, and the crush and thrust behind style. Bahumat amtey all specs have a behind style which can be done when ppl are running.

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
danmrman said:
What about backslash, and the crush and thrust behind style. Bahumat amtey all specs have a behind style which can be done when ppl are running.

but levi does most dmg. the crush, slash and thrust back styles does decent dmg, about 250 on chain with about 20% melee resists but levi does 150 to 200+ the proc

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
yeah but all casters will run hence easy to levi, and any tank can be slammed.

thats really something thats getting me thinking most casters do run and i didnt know leviathan was ranged.

So basicaly in comparison to flex slash has no bonus points if your a reaver.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Kalidur said:
thats really something thats getting me thinking most casters do run and i didnt know leviathan was ranged.

So basicaly in comparison to flex slash has no bonus points if your a reaver.

asp is definately ranged, i heard it was range 700, after all it is a whip! levi should be the same but im not 100% on the range bing 700

i also read Annihilation from a champ/hero has a range bonus so they can pull it off easier

oh yeah once you levi if your on low hp you can use the sidestyle that always lifetaps.

danmrman

Fledgling Freddie
The best spec fora reaver is flex. mainly beacuse of the lifetap proc and the dd proc on the behind and side styles. slaash and thrust and crush hold no bonuses to reavers.

Xyslo

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
oh yeah once you levi if your on low hp you can use the sidestyle that always lifetaps.
That is uber :worthy:

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Xyslo said:
That is uber :worthy:

more so at lower levels and imo makes pally and reaver the best duo :D

or pally and shammy on pvp
or reaver and shammy on pvp (for pve'ing anyway)

Natswoo

Banned
Bahumat said:

Bahumat trying to sound clever .... and levi is not ranged, its a melee style with a proc....

Natswoo

Banned
Leviathian
Opening : Behind target Fatigue : Medium Damage : 153 Attack : Medium Bonus Special : Reaver Soulrend - Direct damage spell that inflicts the spell's damage type upon the target. 153 Damage type Cold

And although i'm not a reaver genius the proc on Asp is only to increase range of spells, but not the style being ranged...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Natswoo said:
Leviathian
Opening : Behind target Fatigue : Medium Damage : 153 Attack : Medium Bonus Special : Reaver Soulrend - Direct damage spell that inflicts the spell's damage type upon the target. 153 Damage type Cold

And although i'm not a reaver genius the proc on Asp is only to increase range of spells, but not the style being ranged...

you may be right, but in order to do the levi/asp procs you would surely have to hit the opponent. if the spell is ranged its pointless without the extra range on the spell.

i have found if i chase someone and use asp (lvl 27 reaver) i can hit the opponent but if i try other styles i get the out of range message...this could be due to lagg etc but i will try and get a definitive answer

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Some of the flex weapon styles have a longer range on them, ie. you do not need to be quite so close to use them.

Darzil

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Only Asp has a range increase.

The great thing is that the range increase applies even if you don't get the positional aspect of the style off (you won't get the style damage bonus but you will hit 'em). Believe the range bonus is around 350 wu.

Levi doesn't have a range bonus, so yes you need to be in normal melee range and land the positional aspect of the style in order to get the style bonus and the proc damage.

thats the answe i got off a reaver from Drunken Friar forums

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
you can stand 300 units from your target when using asp, it doesnt increase range of spells etc

Keeg

Fledgling Freddie
One quick relply. You said u wanted better overall dmg etc. Well, in rvr, you would prolly run in a assist group. And then you use backstyle 90% of the time.

50flex 42 shield 36 Sr waaaay better dmg output than any other reaver setup. End of Discussion =)

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
Thought i'd add my 2 cents here as well...

Soulrending:
Excellent at lower levels, but it's not by far as effective at higher specs, you can very well leave it at around 30'ish and not miss out on anything.

Weapon spec:
Apart from flex being the coolest looking spec, it has several benefits and a few drawbacks. The major drawback being the lack of useful anytime styles, and no anytime chains at all. However, the reactionary stuff really kicks ass (providing you can land them... 4 style chains are almost hopeless in RvR) and Leviathan... I just love it, slamming a heavy tank and killing him in 3 blows is worth quite a lot. And add into that the fact that you can choose your damage type.

And also the fact that you don't have to add all that much strength into your template when using flex weapons since they're dex based, and dex also helps with blocking so you want a lot of that. This means you can make a template with dex/qui/con instead of factoring strength into it as well.

However, if i had to choose another weapon spec i'd deffo go crush, just because of the 2-style stun chain. That owns. And also it's much more endurance efficient then slash, meaning you can style more

Shield is really great for a number of reasons, not only does it keep you alive, it's a sweet tool for those "stun and run" situations when your'e in a tight spot.

Well, i'll stop now, i'm starting to rant. Hope it helps.

Oh, btw... I've tried most specs and the cookie-cutter 50 flex/42 shield/ 31 or so SR and rest into parry is the one i like most of them all.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Cirandi said:
And also the fact that you don't have to add all that much strength into your template when using flex weapons since they're dex based, and dex also helps with blocking so you want a lot of that. This means you can make a template with dex/qui/con instead of factoring strength into it as well.

Flex is 50/50 Strength and Dexterity when determining weaponskill. One of the reasons Reavers are (in my opinion) the hardest class in Alb to spellcraft for. What you really want is;

Capped Str/Con/Dex/Qui/Pie
Capped Flex/Shield/Parry
Capped +Melee Speed/+Melee Damage/+Spell Range/+Spell Damage

Best reaver spec is 50flex 42shield 36soul rest in parry. Even at high SR spec, 99% of the time your SR spells will be used for interrupting. Where higher-SR does give you a boost is with the RR5 Soul Quench ability.

And before anyone asks, the damage on the Cobra/Levi/Indigosnake procs is determined by weaponskill, not by SR or Piety or anything else.

zaltais

Loyal Freddie

so what if i were to make a reaver that isnt flex specced what would be ideal :D[/QUOTE]

Well i have a reaver that isnt flex specced :)
I did lvls 1-50 as crush spec and autotrained slash/flex.
Am currently playing as 39+12 slash 50+10 soul 42+12 shield with rest in parry.
Wouldn't say its brilliant tho, am considering going back to crush for the 2 style stun combo !! and the availability of extra endurance i will save by using crush rather than slash..

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
I was reading the herald about the styles and procs and saw that cobra and leviathan both have procs of 153

cobra is spirit damage and leviathan is cold damage, reavers are spirit based damage so does SR effect the damage of cobra ? does SR effect the damage of leviathan at all ?

I've read out there people who go for slam - levi combo also go for medium/small shields. Is this purely to get slam off before the person your fighting ?

What are the main differences between small, medium and large shields ? do each of the sizes add any % to blocking ??

where can i get a list of growth rates for all the styles ?

Erm one other thing does MoF effect weapon procs and the LT proc ? they seem to get resisted on mobs that are higher con than me.

does MoM and/or WP effect the LT proc that reavers cast or effect cobra / leviathan procs.

does attens shield create a whip ?

Natswoo

Banned
Difference in shields is their Speed, naturally small being fastest and large being slowest... Large shields can block attacks from 3 attackers, medium from 2 attackers, and small from just the 1... I personally found with my armsman using a medium shield the most useful as i'd always be jumped by 2 stealthers at once and a large shield slam would put me in End problems when soloing. A large shield slam can take up to 50% of your power and the smaller the shield the less end it takes.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
plus a small shield in rvr is quick so you can get maybe 1 more levi off after slam

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Killswitch said:
What you really want is;

Capped Str/Con/Dex/Qui/Pie
Capped Flex/Shield/Parry
Capped +Melee Speed/+Melee Damage/+Spell Range/+Spell Damage

Don't need to cap shield and parry, you won't be in much of a position to parry anyway, and +shield doesnt give more chance to land slam.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
...and +shield doesnt give more chance to land slam.

It will (or should) decrease variance in Slam damage though. It seems crazy it doesn't affect your block rate.

I wish Mythic would alter the determing Block stat to be based purely on you spec in Shield (with + from items and RR increasing your chances accordingly).

My Paladin would block like a mad man then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom