Reaver Flexible Weapons Animations Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pin

Well, been patched, so I'll lock the thread and delete the file ;)

A

Archeon

Does the same apply to us non-reaver types? If i'm gonna get wtfpwn'd by over-zelious S&M fetishes i might as well be able to see what their doing ;)

P

Pin

Originally posted by Archeon
Does the same apply to us non-reaver types? If i'm gonna get wtfpwn'd by over-zelious S&M fetishes i might as well be able to see what their doing ;)

yes. currently everyone sees reavers just stand there wobbling a bit cos there's no anim file. everyone will be able to see us fling our arms about wildly, whirling a flail above our heads if you add these files.

S

svartmetall

Cool...I don't play one, but I've always thought their weapons animations were more gay than a Liberace lookalike at an Elton John concert.

'Bout time they got some decent ones.

P

Pin

Originally posted by svartmetall
'Bout time they got some decent ones.

The original date on these files is 09/09/2002

i.e. they have always had decent styles in the US, but they have been missing in EU since release.

C

cHodAX

Another case of messed up translation by GOA, they have known about the problem for 9 months and done nothing :(

P

Pin

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
Another case of messed up translation by GOA, they have known about the problem for 9 months and done nothing :(

Nothing to translate here. It's more a case of Mythic didn't include the animation files in the packages that they sent to GOA.

The only thing you could really blame GOA for is being poor/slow at tracking down the problem (though I suspect this sort of thing would also be punted back to Mythic, and shoved somewhere down at the bottom of the priority list)

edit: though I don't really know how they could be this slow. it took me 5 minutes to find the files browsing the file list and comparing against what Nightpetal had

C

cHodAX

Surely they have a developer mode and can see what files aren't being loaded when the style is hit? There is no excuse for a 9 month delay on an important bug, it took a player to do GOA's job for them. Anyway, thanks Pin for tracking this down. Actually makes me reaver easier to play.

A

Arnor

juhp, my strong reaver is even cooler now!

thx a million mate

O

old.Jable

i'd rather clean toilets than work for GOA (of course, im an IT Technician, so thats not gonna happen, but you get my point).

:m00:

B

Brynn

yea would be interesting to see how goa respond to this

Z

zoia

Maybe i'll go get my reaver on Prydwen a few more levels (lv 6 atm). :)

Can you find out where my sound effects went too? My chars, or the ones i fight, make no sound when they get hit. :(
One of them beetles outside Svasud sounded like a highlander one day. Been so since last patch.

D

Driwen

goa knows about the sound bug zoia, but they couldnt find what the error was. However in 1.63 it seems to be fine, so they wont really bother now anymore to get it fixed in current patch.

W

wildsorcerer

nice work pin :great:

Originally posted by old.Jable
i'd rather clean toilets than work for GOA (of course, im an IT Technician, so thats not gonna happen, but you get my point).

:m00:

yeah IT technicians will never be promoted to toilet cleaners ... pffft u instult toilet cleraners everywhere just sayin it

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by wildsorcerer

yeah IT technicians will never be promoted to toilet cleaners ... pffft u instult toilet cleraners everywhere just sayin it

oi! I am a server engineer ya cheeky bollox! :p

P

Pin

Response (CS) 11/12/2003 04:50 PM
Hello,

We know this bug and will try to fix it in the next versions like a lot of other bugs.

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

--
Response (CS) 11/12/2003 06:10 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your report but we already know that solution.
But as this is not a critical bug we have not fixed it yet and will try do do it for the next version.

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

C

cHodAX

The lazy basts, they could just get the patch server to download them to every client. This is what we paid an extra 33% a month for ffs :(

D

Driwen

guessing they dont wanna update the patcher except when its really needed or when its for an actual patch. Off course if they would fix every small bug like this with an update of the patcher, the server would be done once a week and people would be busy downloading small patches. However dont think that would be really bad, just throw server down at a time people wont play much and update it.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Driwen
guessing they dont wanna update the patcher except when its really needed or when its for an actual patch. Off course if they would fix every small bug like this with an update of the patcher, the server would be done once a week and people would be busy downloading small patches. However dont think that would be really bad, just throw server down at a time people wont play much and update it.

But these are huge problems that have plauged us for 6 months, they know how to fix it NOW but just can't be arsed. That sound bug is the same problem, incorrect file versions most likely.

D

Driwen

But these are huge problems that have plauged us for 6 months, they know how to fix it NOW but just can't be arsed. That sound bug is the same problem, incorrect file versions most likely.

goa knows how to fix the reaver animation now, doubt they did when they patched to 1.62 as they would probably have added the fix to it then. Also its hardly a huge bug its an annoyance and it decreases the joy of gameplay a little, but it doesnt really inflict the gameplay. Also as I said I think they dont want to patch for this and other bug fixes as it can wait a little longer till we patch to 1.63 instead of dragging the servers down for 4 hours and also keeping the team off fixing bugs in 1.63.
About sound, goa has said that they dont know what the real problem is, but its fixed in 1.63. I doubt it has anything to do with wrong version as there is nothing different between usa version and our or anything for several patches back. Reaver animation is simply some missing files and sound is some weird bug thats caused by mythic not giving right files to goa or goa messing them up when they got them.

Goa could have gotten the animation fixed way sooner by tracking the problem down themself by comparing it to US version(which they probably are not allowed to do) or waiting till Mythic bothers to help them. However I doubt it was really high on Mythics list with getting foundation running and getting ToA up, but then again after every expansion the next one is already near most likely.
The reason why the fix took so long is probably, because goa wasnt allowed to find the fix themself or just couldnt (which would be rather stupid) and mythic not bothering with it.

Anyway I agree that Goa should put the fix in now, as they know what it is and throwing down servers for a 1 or 2 hours wont hurt us that much.

C

cHodAX

Reaver animation problem has existed since 1.56 or whatever SI shipped as. That is 9 months and still no official fix or even a timescale. They don't need to take the servers down to add this file to the patch server, they just add it and every new cleint connecting downloads it. You say it was a simple case of missing files, then why the hell couldn't they find that 'simple' bug. I will tell you why, it is because they are inept and lazy.

Now the sound problem, you say there is no difference between US and English EU versions and yet the above happened. That proves things are changed during the translation period. Now let us take it a step further, almost every patch in the last year has introuduced small bugs into the English EU client that were NOT in the US version. GOA have access to full developer tools, if the animation for the reaver style used wasn't loading then the logs or debug mode would show it. You say the reason it took so long is because GOA weren't allowed to fix it, that is utter nonsense. They introduced or allowed a bug into thier client for whatever reason, Mythic didn't have the bug because it never shipped with it. GOA are responsible for the English EU client we get, not Mythic.

At the end of the day it boils down to this. We now pay an extra 33% subscription fee for ;

An appalling patching record
Non-exsistant in-game support
Extremely weak web based support via RightNow
Lack of information from the company we PAY to play

There is no excuse, no..... don't even think it.... no... none... nadda.... nein.... reason at all for GOA not to update the patch server with this fix.

D

Driwen

Reaver animation problem has existed since 1.56 or whatever SI shipped as. That is 9 months and still no official fix or even a timescale. They don't need to take the servers down to add this file to the patch server, they just add it and every new cleint connecting downloads it. You say it was a simple case of missing files, then why the hell couldn't they find that 'simple' bug. I will tell you why, it is because they are inept and lazy.

You want everyone to be playing the same exact version as otherwise its just asking for more bugs appearing. So you do need to bring down the server, but ofcourse you could not do it. Also about finding it, they probably do not have the rights to compare US version with european version as they shouldnt have to and Mythic probably wants to keep as much of the game code a secret as possible.
Now goa finds out animation isnt loaded checks to see that its most likely caused, because it doesnt exist and asks mythics about it. Mythic has probably put this down for a long period as to them Goa is just a cash cow and I doubt they actually care for their european customers even if they do care about the ones on their own servers.

Now the sound problem, you say there is no difference between US and English EU versions and yet the above happened. That proves things are changed during the translation period. Now let us take it a step further, almost every patch in the last year has introuduced small bugs into the English EU client that were NOT in the US version.
They introduced or allowed a bug into thier client for whatever reason, Mythic didn't have the bug because it never shipped with it. GOA are responsible for the English EU client we get, not Mythic.

mythic has been known to screw up their patches to goa full with files of their current patch and of the patch we want to get. So that it is useless and buggy, besides that goa is probably running a slightly different system than mythic is. So the game has to be written slightly different, where the possible bugs enter. It is possible to see the same program run without problems on machine A and have problems on machine B with it, while it should work on both flawlessly. Its the joy of having rather complex machines so we dont know exactly anymore how everything is done.
And mythic is part responsible for the client we get as goa just implements it and mythic makes it and patches it and makes the needed repairs files for it.
Also the sound files are the same as they dont change, but that doesnt mean that the complete system is the same as it most likely isnt. Hell mythic runs atleast in an American OS and Goa possibly in a French version of that. Also having slightly different servers or having hardware from different manufacturers or same manufacturer and model but different version could make a slight difference.

Anyway if you want to think goa is lazy and dumb be my guest. I suggest you should move to Mythic's servers then, but thats your choice (as said in other threads getting a lvl 50 as veteran player starting with nothing isnt that hard usually).
Also mythic is the company that has added several ML abilities without actually ever trully thinking about balance it seems as at every new level atleast one ability gets toned down within a few days. Mythic has made a great game, but they do make stupid mistakes just like goa does.

At the end of the day it boils down to this. We now pay an extra 33% subscription fee for ;

An appalling patching record
Non-exsistant in-game support
Extremely weak web based support via RightNow
Lack of information from the company we PAY to play

patching was actually going reasonable we were at 1.60 when US was patched to 1.61 and working on 1.62. After that we got slowed down by huge translations in 1.62 and maybe in 1.63, bugs in 1.63 and hacker incident. Fact remains 6 months ago we were just 1 patch behind now we arent, because of some mishapes.
If game support is non existant than how did I get helped 3 times when I had problems? Why did some cheaters get warnings/bans? It exists, but it is slow and it should improve.
Information we get is indeed little and should improve, but it seems to be more part of their management strategy than it is by being lazy. However it should indeed improve.

Also 10% of that 33% might be because of inflation + overestimating the market in some way and having to get more money or simply because they started with a lower starting fee to get alot of players and now they are settled they upped it.

P

PJS

Im with chodax on this one. Im a software engineer and for something as easy to diagnose and fix as this having it broken for 9 months is just the absolute epitome of sloppiness. If a PLAYER can find the answer with no access to debugging or other tools for gods sake then the developers have no excuse whatsoever.
I also have a hard time believing that incorrect sounds playing for events or missing sound altogether is somehow hard to fix and just magically goes away in 1.63 without anyone knowing why. Its most likely an old sound data file linked to newer code or a new sound data file linked to older code. New sounds added for foundations or something have shifted all the others but its still looking in the old places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom