Raspberry Pi 2

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It'll run windows 10?! Surely not?

I've got a pi. Don't do anything with it tbh.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's a pi specific version of windows 10, you cant just install the regular win10.

That means some of the cooler stuff ( steam in home streaming ) might not be available. Will have to wait and see, if it can do inhome streaming I'll prob pick one up.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Got the Model B for my sons ICT projects apart from putting a linux build together and updating not done much else. Son has done some basic Java and Python coding but little else. Still an amazing piece of kit for size and price. Will probably update and get the new model.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I've ordered one to replace the Pi I have under the TV running XBMC. I use it as my main media player and the lag in menus always annoyed me. For under £30 I may as well upgrade. Don't know what I'll do with the old one yet though.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's a pi specific version of windows 10, you cant just install the regular win10.

That means some of the cooler stuff ( steam in home streaming ) might not be available. Will have to wait and see, if it can do inhome streaming I'll prob pick one up.
They've not settled on the specifics yet, it'll likely be based on WinRT (given arm hardware) but if 10 folds RT into the base it could be a damn sight better than what you currently get on a surface tablet.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've ordered one to replace the Pi I have under the TV running XBMC. I use it as my main media player and the lag in menus always annoyed me. For under £30 I may as well upgrade. Don't know what I'll do with the old one yet though.
I ordered one from RS yesterday. When it turns up I'll be using it to replace the one I have running Plex and the old one will go to taking some of the donkey work off my NAS's shoulders. I'm curious to see if it will have enough grunt to run Plex Media Server though as I'd like to move that off my NAS.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
It'll run windows 10?! Surely not?
A version of - not the Windows 10 you are thinking of with the standard desktop and fully featured apps.

This is referring to the an 'IoT' variant of Windows (Internet of Things - shit term but meh). Theres currently a version based on Win8 for Intel's Galileo boards (RPi competitor) which allows you to, uhhhhh, login remotely via telnet and connect to it from MS Visual Studio. See https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/Windows-Developer-Program-for-IoT

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So it turns out RS pulled the same stunt as previously, they won't be shipping for 2 weeks

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Imagine that, a new product has more orders than available stock. Thats just totally unheard of!

Relatively early orders shipped same day for next day delivery - cant argue with that really. No matter what it'll be better than the 6 month order->delivery times on the 2012 launch :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Imagine that, a world in which a business doesn't do the decent thing by not taking more orders than it has stock or simply referring to such a process as "pre-ordering" that's totally unheard of!

I ordered mine before I posted this thread which was less than an hour after the announcement post on the Raspberry Pi website.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Mine arrived from RS yesterday. Ordered at 10ish Monday. No hassles, no dramas. Better than queuing for 3 months to place an order the last time around ;)

Anyway - for anyone else trying to use a SD card recycled from the older model its fairly straightforward.

1. Pi2 needs a micro SD, not the big SD cards the original used.
2. Assuming you are using raspbian run rpi-update to grab the updated firmware/kernel. Should end up with both kernel.img (pi 1) and kernel7.img (pi 2) in /boot. It chooses which to use automatically.

And thats it. As close to hassle free as it gets.

From the confirmation mail: Date of order: Mon, 2 Feb 2015, 09:52. Guess that'll let meg decide how much to complain over his luck ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Got an email from thepihut to say my pi 2 was shipped today.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
From the confirmation mail: Date of order: Mon, 2 Feb 2015, 09:52. Guess that'll let meg decide how much to complain over his luck ;)
9:48AM

Shabby luck of the draw for me it is then! :(

Anyway, I've not managed to dig up yet what the largest size MicroSD card that can be used is yet, anyone know?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Nah, there is a dodgy incomplete wiki list kicking around, but its not a huge amount of use.

There are reports of 128GB/258GB cards working so I cant imagine you'll have a problem. Older firmwares had all sorts of compatibility issues with SD cards but more recently its far less of an issue - so any 'XYZ doesnt work' report from a while back isnt really worth paying attention to.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'll let RS off the hook now. Mine has turned up. Not sure why they suddenly started telling me 20 February for delivery. In fact it's now turned up before it's MicroSD card counterpart (which was supposed to be here today but isn't). Nevermind!

kirennia

Part of the furniture

Got a new one delivered at work today, a little while after getting a new monster server which we've been playing games with. The intention is to try exactly this on Monday so I'll try and update then... I guess it all just depends if you can run steam on it; their new home stream thing is ridiculous. We've been running it through wifi and I can't help but think it's close to the future of gaming. The only problems being peripherals not being exact and occasional lag but still, if this works...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'll let RS off the hook now. Mine has turned up. Not sure why they suddenly started telling me 20 February for delivery. In fact it's now turned up before it's MicroSD card counterpart (which was supposed to be here today but isn't). Nevermind!
They're still telling me mid-March :(

MrFright

Fledgling Freddie
Been hearing about the Pi for ages now but have not yet seen one in person...may finally grab one when 2 comes out as I'm sure I'll find the first models real cheap on ebay...hopefully...as yeah it's pretty affordable right now but not exactly on my xmas list lol.

Syri

FH is my second home
I ordered mine a few days ago, and it said it'd be in stock on the 26th or somewhere around there. When I got the order confirmation, it had moved to the 2nd of march, so naturally, it was despatched an hour ago... I think RS should just give up on their stock control system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom