.rar files.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Probably a stupid question, but is there a free program to unpack .rar files? I do not want to create them, just unpack.

Ta

RB

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Rubber Bullets

As Deadmanwalking say, WinRAR is popular program for handling .rar and other such file formats. It's not free, however, so the copy will eventually expire if you choose not to purchase after downloading it.

Otherwise just give Google a quick search and you should be able find some other suitable programs.

Kind Regards

Jonty

Edit ~ Download.com may also be of some use.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks

Jonty,and deadmanwalking.

I had found the WINRAR site already but didn't want to pay $29 cos I am tight.

Download.com found me ExtractNow which was free and di exactly what it said on the tin, it extracted, er, now.

Thanks again

RB

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello

Glad you got sorted :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Just for future reference, you can actually download and use WinRAR without paying up front.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Actually, you can use rar.exe and unrar.exe from the command line. They both come with winrar but don't actually expire :p

For a list of commands, open the command prompt and go to the winrar dir and type "rar.exe -?" or "UnRar.exe -?" for a list of commands.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
winrar is like mirc, your supposed to pay for it after 30days but it doesnt enforce it.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
winrar is like mirc, your supposed to pay for it after 30days but it doesnt enforce it.

But you do get an annoying box.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I've taken to using PowerArchiver - does zip, rar, gz, bz, pk3 and lots more. It doesn't do 7z, but I expect that's just a matter of time.

Again, it's a trial with a nag box, but I'm starting to think that it's worth registering :)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
7zip does everything you can throw at it - 7z compression is impressive. However, the interface is... unpleasant. I used it for a time but I didn't like the clunkyness of it.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Winrar monkey myself.

Prefer it over ye olde Winzip tbh.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
7zip does everything you can throw at it - 7z compression is impressive. However, the interface is... unpleasant. I used it for a time but I didn't like the clunkyness of it.

Agreed on the interface front - for a start, it doesn't include any drag-and-drop functionality :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom