SPAM random annoying things

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Crops that are resistant to their main pests without pesticides are bad somehow?

Bollocks.
Yep, it is indeed bollocks that Bt Brinjal is grown without pesticide use. In fact - it's exactly the same situation as in the article I posted.

It doesn't fucking work @Wij. It's the farming version of smoking with just as powerful a lobby. In fact it's worse, because we have a working alternative that achieves the objectives without harm - death free fags.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
TV refusing to connect to the WiFi

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No. It works really well. Science.
I guess it backs up your argument when you ignore the science I posted that shows reduced pesticide use isn't a great indicator of harm (so, original post has refuted your subsequent ones, and you've ignored the other arguments).

We can increase consumable calories produced (in excess of those gained via a strain of eggplant) without resorting to chemical use.

Edit:

BTW - from your article:
Individuals in households growing Bt brinjal were less likely to report symptoms consistent with pesticide exposure, such as chronic respiratory illnesses or skin disease.
"Less likely" still means "farmers report symptoms due to pesticide exposure".

They don't have to be exposed at all. None of us do.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The article you posted shows a reduction in harm to vertebrates but not to insects which it attributes to the use of neonics. It's based on US data since neonic use is more limited in the EU.

Neonics are not a GM crop. It's a different thing.

Also where's your evidence that organic farming can have higher yields than modern farming and do so without pesticides?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Posted it before m8. I'm not going to get into a linkwang.

15 minutes till my first meeting and the sheep have got out. And it's snowing. :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The obvious problems with GM is lack of bio diversity and the fact that the manufacturers (big pharma again) control the crops, not the farmers.

Every field, genetically the exact same crop...as if that won't cause problems later down the line.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The obvious problems with GM is lack of bio diversity and the fact that the manufacturers (big pharma again) control the crops, not the farmers.

Every field, genetically the exact same crop...as if that won't cause problems later down the line.
We've been growing monocultures long before GM. That's not a problem with GM itself. It would be perfectly possible with GM to produce several strains with the same trait and breed from them as normal. Things just need managing. It's a useful tool, not a magic bullet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We've been growing monocultures long before GM. That's not a problem with GM itself.
No, but it IS a problem and one that's compounded, not alleviated, by GM.

It's hubris to think we can manage ourselves out of a problem we barely understand. Our lack of knowledge around the risks and impacts across the ecological web is huge.

Meanwhile we have a more labour intensive but biodiverse and chemical free solution to our problems.

We should take it - whilst aggressively ramping up the science to build our knowledge, rather than continuing to dump millions of tonnes of toxins on monocultural wastelands.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And yet nature herself sees fit to do the same thing randomly and without planning or forethought:

In tiny limited cases that become a success over generations (or not), giving the overall ecology time to adapt to the different paradigm whilst maintaining equilibrium.

Or we do it artificially and directly, (like in Bt Brinjal, where they've been trying to do it by crossbreeding unsuccesfully for fucking years, because it doesn't seem to want to take naturally) and then we roll the whole fucking thing out en-mass into giant monoculture farms, supported by a wholesale chemical extermination industry.

Fucking win win there @Wij. Bravo!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Which bit of vastly reduced pesticide use did you miss?
Monoculture.
Chemical use.

Which bit of those things are so desireable to you that you don't want rid of them - especially considering they're not mandatory?

And, as the scientists have pointed out (where the law allows them access to the data) less of a different chemical quite often means a more toxic chemical with more devastating consequences. Even in the "well regulated" west.

But I guess you love crop spraying, so...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And I've already said that Monoculture isn't the fault of GM and organic farming still uses pesticides.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And I've already said that Monoculture isn't the fault of GM and organic farming still uses pesticides.
Who cares if they're not causal. Their use goes hand in hand. Like fish and chips*.

As for your second point it's laughable - it's a totally false equivalence.

*Or GM monoculture and massive toxic chemical use.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Who cares if they're not causal. Their use goes hand in hand. Like fish and chips*.

As for your second point it's laughable - it's a totally false equivalence.

*Or GM monoculture and massive toxic chemical use.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's what happens when you destroy ecosystems.

Idiots still blame cats because that is what they are taught to do. Has nobody noticed how clean their windscreen is after a long drive these days?

The sea is only one of the badly reported issues, insect life is being decimated and is critical to our survival.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
People putting parcels on your desk, leaning on your keyboard while you are trying to operate it via teamviewer.

I thought my keyboard was fucked.

SilverHood

FH is my second home

I like how Ether is moving away from who can do it the quickest (which is the cause of the energy usage), to a stake based system, where you offer up Ether as proof of your intentions, and then you can run a validation farm. The Ether system will randomly pick farms for transaction validation, so in theory, the arms race ends. If you are a bad actor, you will get fined from your stake, or booted out entirely.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Bitcoin is already using many times as much energy as Ethereum but it's really going to be stuck out on its own when the latter moves to Proof of Stake, which is looking like happening later this year (probably... maybe).

There are vague murmurs that Bitcoin might try to move to PoS themselves but, considering how long it took Ethereum to get it sorted (the switch from PoW to PoS was mentioned in the original whitepaper back in 2013 but they've been half-heartedly saying the switch would happen "soon" since probably late 2017 and there are still some things to iron out) and just how much power the miners have and how much they'll kick off if it's even suggested, I just don't see it happening.

Staking on Ethereum's brilliant - you can run 100s of validators off of a Raspbery Pi. The amount of mining hardware and the kilowatts of energy you'd need to achieve the same sort of rewards with mining is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom