SPAM random annoying things

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The bigger problem is them still using FTP which is probably why they are being so anal about who can access it.
It's weird how they're not being helpful at all. It's Tsohost (used to be Vidahost) so not exactly a small outfit. I signed up in (I think) 2008 to a hosting package and have been grandfathered onto other packages at least twice but this issue is only this year. My internet was properly unreliable for the first 10 or so years since I signed up and it never complained. Now, it connects but refuses to list directories if I have a new IP until I've had it whitelisted. They've enabled SSH for my account so maybe I can talk them into letting me connect via SFTP.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
It's weird how they're not being helpful at all. It's Tsohost (used to be Vidahost) so not exactly a small outfit. I signed up in (I think) 2008 to a hosting package and have been grandfathered onto other packages at least twice but this issue is only this year. My internet was properly unreliable for the first 10 or so years since I signed up and it never complained. Now, it connects but refuses to list directories if I have a new IP until I've had it whitelisted. They've enabled SSH for my account so maybe I can talk them into letting me connect via SFTP.

If you can connect but can't do a directory listing that sounds like you should toggle the PASV / Passive option in your ftp client - that is firewall related btw.

But yeah, SFTP would be the better option.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If you can connect but can't do a directory listing that sounds like you should toggle the PASV / Passive option in your ftp client - that is firewall related btw.

But yeah, SFTP would be the better option.
Thanks, I googled around originally and saw the PASV recommendation. They've whitelisted my newest IP so it works whatever the weather right now, I'll try again after my next disconnection. I believe that's why I asked for SSH access in the first place, because I saw that PASV needs ports forwarding.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thanks, I googled around originally and saw the PASV recommendation. They've whitelisted my newest IP so it works whatever the weather right now, I'll try again after my next disconnection. I believe that's why I asked for SSH access in the first place, because I saw that PASV needs ports forwarding.
My ip virtually never changes. Even when i reboot my router. Its not guaranteed to be the same. But it mostly is

Wij

I am a FH squatter
When my son needs a shit he acts like a nobhead for about an hour before he drops the fucker. Having turtle's breath seems to affect his brain. Why is that?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
When my son needs a shit he acts like a nobhead for about an hour before he drops the fucker. Having turtle's breath seems to affect his brain. Why is that?
Like father like son. ;). If so not only shit u have to worry about ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've developed some form of what looks like psoriasis on my fingers and hands. It's fucking itchy as fuck and when I bend my fingers quite painful.

It happened about a year ago and then went away, but it's back with a vengence in the past 48 hours. It fucking hurts :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I've developed some form of what looks like psoriasis on my fingers and hands. It's fucking itchy as fuck and when I bend my fingers quite painful.

It happened about a year ago and then went away, but it's back with a vengence in the past 48 hours. It fucking hurts :(
Stress related eczema can be like that my bro had it on his hands. Steroid cream or similar. But you cant be stressed. Unless its reading too many posts on here lol

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Receiving an email from a school I worked at 3 years ago accusing me of stealing a tablet.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Nope, and I really feel like saying 'what the fuck, talk to my lawyers' (But I don't have one, let alone plural).

They're a really really shit school, and they probably just lost it, so are just accusing all their former staff of stealing it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sitting down on the shitter ready to do the business when that hairline fracture finally gives way and your skin is pinched.

Zarjazz

My main RAID array overheated due to the weather and lost integrity. All data on it lost.

Then I knocked a large hardback book off a bookshelf onto my desk and directly onto my iPhone *just so*. The case and screen both cracked spectacularly. Well that's a few hundred quid repair bill and at least week with no phone as it gets sent off to be repaired.

Fuck knows what the third event will be ...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
My main RAID array overheated due to the weather and lost integrity. All data on it lost.
Ouch. Hardware RAID? What level? Did you lose all parity disks and then another or just everything imploded? Fuck.

I'm 43% through scrubbing one of my zpools as we speak. I really should do it more often - I usually manage about once a month (where I read it should be fortnightly for consumer-grade disks).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My 6 month old external SSD shat the bed yesterday too.

Zarjazz

Ouch. Hardware RAID? What level? Did you lose all parity disks and then another or just everything imploded? Fuck.
I had 7 disk in dedicated NAS in a RAID6 configuration but 3 failed within hours. It was 37C in London at the time. I've actually been thinking about building a completely new RAID server using ZFS to consolidate all my RAID and NAS devices onto. Guess this makes that idea now a certainty.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I had 7 disk in dedicated NAS in a RAID6 configuration but 3 failed within hours. It was 37C in London at the time. I've actually been thinking about building a completely new RAID server using ZFS to consolidate all my RAID and NAS devices onto. Guess this makes that idea now a certainty.

Sheez mate, I'm in E2 and it got to about 33/34, but 37? That's insane!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
How failed? I had a disk die in a raidz2 (same parity as RAID6) vdev and, hilariously, while it was resilvering, I started seeing read errors on 2 other disks which caused the resilver to keep restarting and never finish. I used ddrescue to clone one of them (the much worse one which had actual i/o errors as I recall) and managed to get the resilver over the line. The errors on the 2 disks were in different places so they were able to repair each other as the resilver chugged along. I ended up not losing any data.

ZFS is bloody brilliant, I wouldn't touch hardware/software RAID nowadays - just chuck a bunch of disks at ZFS and let it work its magic.

Zarjazz

How failed?
Dead as the proverbial parrot. None of the failed drives even spinup anymore. I suspect when the first drives failed it meant the other drives became even busier to compensate so they then became even hotter, then the next failed ...

I know how good ZFS is. I've used it in jobs before in very large arrays but never at home. Now to find some fuckoff tower servers with lots of fan space :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Now to find some fuckoff tower servers with lots of fan space :)
Most of my storage server is in one of these:

2.jpg

I've got 38 3.5" drives in that beast.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If you get all the drives from the same batch and start using them about the same time. I guess the chances of them failing close together are higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom