SPAM random annoying things

Embattle

FH is my second home
Don't really see any difference between influencers on youtube and influencers in the movie industry.

Gwyneth Paltrow makes a shit ton of money pushing her goop shit to idiots. What's the difference her doing it and some other twat off youtube?

All I can see is that we've democratised the bullshit a bit more - so the money isn't going directly to corporate hollywood or TV interests, but to people who've made an audience from more niche pursuits.

I don't particular like her either, to my mind she is an influencer as far as I'm concerned and using her previous acting career to sell Jade eggs via Goop.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't particular like her either, to my mind she is an influencer as far as I'm concerned and using her previous acting career to sell Jade eggs via Goop.
They're all bloody influencers tho.

Tom Cruise is an influencer. And a scientologist. And a movie star. An influencer is just someone who has a few followers - whether that's through movie magazines or youtube. There's no difference.

The good thing about youtube influencers is that there's a greater variety of 'em. (That's also arguably a downside tbh). But nothing's changed apart from the fact that there's a greater number of niches - and therefore, from your grumpy old man viewpoint - more irrelevance.

But nothing has really changed.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Imo an influencer is somebody who doesn't do anything apart from exist on social networks - ie they're not film stars or musicians or sportspeople. They might become any of those things but only as a consequence of the status they've built up on the internet.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Imo an influencer is somebody who doesn't do anything apart from exist on social networks - ie they're not film stars or musicians or sportspeople. They might become any of those things but only as a consequence of the status they've built up on the internet.

So what's your point? They only become legitimate if they do something outside social media? Or an influencer can only exist on social media and in no other field? Because neither of those feels true.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So what's your point? They only become legitimate if they do something outside social media? Or an influencer can only exist on social media and in no other field? Because neither of those feels true.
That I don't think Tom Cruise (for example) is an influencer (in the modern interpretation of what an influencer is). Not speaking to their legitimacy at all, but I think an influencer becomes an influencer because of social media. Whether they go on to do other things outside social media with their newfound fame is another matter entirely (a lot of them obviously do).

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
What is the difference between an infulencer and an expert going through products on youtube?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
One hasn't the first idea about the product but gets paid to push it, the other is an expert that sometimes get paid to push it.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Surely as consumers we are able to tell the difference in which case why give a shit? Real waste of energy over something that you can easily turn off tbh?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Meh so called influencers are just another part of marketing cancer that is everywhere.

they make youngsters want to purpetuate the cycle. And become the same. Badgering real content makers (gfx artists, video editors etc) provide services for free to enhance their appeal.
the amount of times i see scrotes asking for free meals, free idents, free this or that for exposure to 100 followers or something is as much of a cancer as the flogging of tat that these people try to do through their exposure.

at least experts with academic and proven track records who analyse things with as little bias as possible are an asset.

some person who is just one of the popular kids at school multiplied by x has been paid by brand y to tell the sheep in their channel its good. Zzzz. Just vacuous space wasters. And these make finding the experts above harder to find.

DaGaffer

One hasn't the first idea about the product but gets paid to push it, the other is an expert that sometimes get paid to push it.

Seems rather subjective. Influencers are usually only paid to shill products after they've built up an audience, which would seem to imply some level of subject matter or entertainment value, otherwise they wouldn't have followers. There are what you call "macro" influencers, who can be subject matter experts but don't have to be (so celebrates and large follower social, but also business leaders, journs etc) , and "micro" influencers, who are pretty much always subject matter experts. Social influencers are found in industries and B2B as well as consumer.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Surely as consumers we are able to tell the difference in which case why give a shit? Real waste of energy over something that you can easily turn off tbh?

You would hope but quite a lot seem unable to, in the way one so called influencer or another seems to advertise some diet drink by holding it or having a container of it in the shot photo.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Even when the CCP are paying big name influencers to say nice things about them and social media addicted kids are sharing it around? I personally stick well clear of Social Media, except for going on twitter when someone posts a link, or using the Cricket subreddit - but it's the younger generation who are being targetted, not people like me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think an influencer becomes an influencer because of social media
I respectfully disagree.

Sigmund Freud's nephew was Edward Bernays. He leveraged his uncles work to influence the annoyingly slow uptake of cigarettes amongst women in the early 20th century. He came up with a marketing campaign "torches of freedom" (to equate fags with emancipation and equality) - and, significantly, was responsible for funnelling huge sums of tobacco money into films, specifically paying the industry for the starlets of the day to be shown smoking fags.

That transformed the uptake of smoking in women - it went from like 5% to 45% almost overnight. Just because they saw hollywood "influencers" smoking, and wanted to be part of it.

All media is social media. Because we're a social animal. Media has changed, but the nature of influencers haven't - the difference now is that "influencers" is a term that's being used.

It's being used so we understand how the media landscape is changing because of the impact of the internet and the democratization of this power away from big media organisations and towards niche users. And it's being used to influence us. Corporations know that it's incredibly valuable to leverage grassroots interest groups - way more than traditional advertising. Facebook, youtube, twatter et. al want us to be influencers - because it's powerful and money making for them - makes their platforms relevant. Manufacturers and producers want deep market penetration that grassroots influencers bring. So the push now is to be an "influencer" - and these people are getting paid to be that.

But the tactic is still the same - be the "holywood starlets that make women start smoking".

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No structural problems here at all. Nothing to see here:

combined wealth of 10 men increased during the coronavirus pandemic by $540bn ...

Mr Bezos had earned so much by September 2020 that he could have given all 876,000 Amazon employees a $105,000 bonus and still been as wealthy as he was before the pandemic

So, lets see if he makes that life-changing decision for his minimum-wagers eh?

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
No structural problems here at all. Nothing to see here:

combined wealth of 10 men increased during the coronavirus pandemic by $540bn ...

So, lets see if he makes that life-changing decision for his minimum-wagers eh?

Y'know that collateral damage of lockdown I keep going on about? There you go.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Y'know that collateral damage of lockdown I keep going on about? There you go.
It's hardly lockdown's fault that global wealth and inequality management systems aren't fit for purpose.

All lockdown has done here is help expose what bullshit is fed us and how much rich man cock we're forced to suck during our wage slavery.

DaGaffer

Amazon.de won't take my Irish debit card. I thought they were supposed to work anywhere in Europe?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
VISA or Mastercard should do, especially within EU countries.

DaGaffer

Ho ho.

VISA or Mastercard should do, especially within EU countries.

They took my credit card, but wouldn't take my debit They also have a SEPA option but it wouldn't accept my Irish IBAN either. I'm trying to zero my credit cards at the moment so it was just a bit irritating. Can't complain about the prices though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sky call centre drones that say "Sweet mate" and "sound" when you are talking to them.

Fuck off, I'm not your mate and your wanky broadband speed is not "sound" it's fucking shit, 65mb vs 998 on virgin, all I wanted to know is if they had any plans to improve theirs as my contract is up for renewal soon ffs.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've never had too much of an issue with Sky's call centres. Admittedly I only use them when it's time for a new deal, and don't think I've ever needed their Tech Services in 8 years.

Could do without them calling me up every 6 months to offer me a mobile phone (which to be fair I'd switch to if they didn't use O2), but other than that they've been fine. Compared to Virgin Media, who took 3 months to realise that after I'd moved they would probably need to connect my internet somewhere else - like to my new house - they've been fucking legendary.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You know I think lockdowns are getting to people on this forum, this thread and the last one I was in have so far seen people telling others to fuck off or calling them cunts.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sky call centre drones that say "Sweet mate" and "sound" when you are talking to them.

Fuck off, I'm not your mate and your wanky broadband speed is not "sound" it's fucking shit, 65mb vs 998 on virgin, all I wanted to know is if they had any plans to improve theirs as my contract is up for renewal soon ffs.

I won't go to Sky as it won't work with my Orbi Mesh.

DaGaffer

Sky did fuck up my account cancellation royally when I last moved house, but they are still better for TV than Virgin over here (Virgin box was utter dogshit, although I think its been replaced recently, so I got rid and just kept them for bb). Since I started using Sky again they've been fine (apart from sales calls) whereas Virgin boil my piss every time I have to talk to them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I've never had too much of an issue with Sky's call centres. Admittedly I only use them when it's time for a new deal, and don't think I've ever needed their Tech Services in 8 years.

Could do without them calling me up every 6 months to offer me a mobile phone (which to be fair I'd switch to if they didn't use O2), but other than that they've been fine. Compared to Virgin Media, who took 3 months to realise that after I'd moved they would probably need to connect my internet somewhere else - like to my new house - they've been fucking legendary.

Oh the service is fine (Except for the speeds) and we will be keeping Sky TV because I cba rewiring the living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom