SPAM random annoying things

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Clearing 12 foot of silted up 4 inch Victorian drainage pipe. Going to need a bigger tool.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Spilling my tea... whilst at my desk... so it went across the far side of the desk... where it rained down like a waterfall...

*sigh*

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Buying a bag of salted peanuts
Then finding out they've forgot to put any salt in them 😭
So you add some yourself
You still can't taste the salt
So you add more. A little more. Nope. A touch more. Hmm. A wee bit more. Now they're too salty 😭 😭

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I have alternatives to listen to slay. But the o/h used to like to stick it on in the kitchen over the google speaker. That and a few greek channels.

All of that has gone. And with it the prime reason for her to have a google speaker tbh. What else is it good for?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I have alternatives to listen to slay. But the o/h used to like to stick it on in the kitchen over the google speaker. That and a few greek channels.

All of that has gone. And with it the prime reason for her to have a google speaker tbh. What else is it good for?
Gathering your data.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Give this a whirl, I've been using it instead of TuneIn for a while and it seems alright

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
4mbps internet.

So, I'm downloading The Outer Worlds now it's out on steam and half price, I set it off last night at 8pm, it's 24 of 46Gb in :eek:

I think I'd get much better via mobile internet. There's a welsh government grant to have someone come out and put a higher gain antenna on the outside of your building and wire it in to a router. Not sure who'd be my go-to provider of choice though (any freddyhouse recommendations? - when looking for "unlimited mobile internet" it doesn't seem that it's very clear to me what they're offering. But basically, I just need a SIM for a 4G LTE router, right?).

Mobile mast is about 500m away in a straight line (but obscured by trees). I still reckon I could massively increase my rate.

In other annoying things - a single big thunderclap hit on Saturday night. Bang goes my 3rd router of the year. This time it was my google nest wifi - not the plusnet router. Which shows that when we get hit by electricity it's the internal electrics that are blowing my routers, not the phone line coming into Plusnet's modem (the last two to go pop were the plusnet router). This is annoying because I've got them plugged into not one, but two surge protectors (one at the socket which has a couple of USB cables coming out of it - and I've simply plugged an extension with a surge protector into that - and the routers into the other end. But they've done fuck all.

Don't know what can be done there. I need to redo the electrics in the house - is there something that can be done to protect the home from that sort of surge other than at /before the fuse box?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Great game btw

FWIW it took me about 1.5 hours to download :p I'll be getting 900mb in a few weeks :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
4mbps internet.

So, I'm downloading The Outer Worlds now it's out on steam and half price, I set it off last night at 8pm, it's 24 of 46Gb in :eek:

I think I'd get much better via mobile internet. There's a welsh government grant to have someone come out and put a higher gain antenna on the outside of your building and wire it in to a router. Not sure who'd be my go-to provider of choice though (any freddyhouse recommendations? - when looking for "unlimited mobile internet" it doesn't seem that it's very clear to me what they're offering. But basically, I just need a SIM for a 4G LTE router, right?).

Mobile mast is about 500m away in a straight line (but obscured by trees). I still reckon I could massively increase my rate.

In other annoying things - a single big thunderclap hit on Saturday night. Bang goes my 3rd router of the year. This time it was my google nest wifi - not the plusnet router. Which shows that when we get hit by electricity it's the internal electrics that are blowing my routers, not the phone line coming into Plusnet's modem (the last two to go pop were the plusnet router). This is annoying because I've got them plugged into not one, but two surge protectors (one at the socket which has a couple of USB cables coming out of it - and I've simply plugged an extension with a surge protector into that - and the routers into the other end. But they've done fuck all.

Don't know what can be done there. I need to redo the electrics in the house - is there something that can be done to protect the home from that sort of surge other than at /before the fuse box?
You can do speedtests (eg) from your phone to see what kind of speeds you'd get over 4G. I have one of these with a SIM (a 2nd SIM on my mobile contract) in because I'm going to need an always-on internet connection and it's perfect for what it does. If you're not fussed about proper router features you can just use your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect to it wirelessly or most providers will be able to furnish you with a little standalone hotspot device which accepts a SIM.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
4mbps internet.

No idea how to help with your issues but just bought that game as it looks great!
Already downloaded 2GB in 2 mins of it so should be done fairly soon.
:D

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
4mbps internet.

I don't have that much faster internet myself and have started to use my 4G phone pretty much exclusively since lockdown first started and tried to download Red Dead Redemption 2, all 120GB worth.

As for the power surge are you talking the mains or a surge over the telephone line? If you are talking about the mains you might consider a small UPS to guarantee a stable output.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As for the power surge are you talking the mains or a surge over the telephone line? If you are talking about the mains you might consider a small UPS to guarantee a stable output.
The fact that the plusnet router is OK but the google wifi point blew proves mains is the issue.

Will look into that tho.

Embattle

FH is my second home
@Scouse I believe when they installed our Tesla Backup Gateway for the Powerwall the showed us it has some sort Trip Surge Protection in it, they said it would be required in new builds from 2019 IRC.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You moved there surely finding your internet in the middle of bum fuck nowhere is bad isn't actually random?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom