SPAM random annoying things

rynnor

Rockhound
That would be like whoever owns the duct-tape trade-mark stamping all over me because I hand-fabricate wallets and other shit from it and call them...wait for it....duct-tape wallets and other shit and may charge someone for the pleasure of owning one. I'm not an evil ripper-offer (*cough*), and I personally do not believe that iPod case guy is either.

There is a fine line between original artwork and ripping off a trademark - I think the scale implied by opening a shop crosses the line from my perspective.

Your hand made wallets are clearly an original artwork :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Thanks, I appreciate your appreciation :)

Still, re the ongoing discussion: I understand this: say I build an USB pen drive in to a stick of wood (or spool of duct-tape, if you will): it's art. say I build an USB pen drive in to a lego brick: it's stealing from Lego. Ok, understood, on the grounds that a single lego brick is still in production today, and still has a potential use in general lego works. That walkman, no matter how many Sony labels are on it, is JUNK. It's worth exactly nothing. I applaud people who try to make something from junk. I think it's an awesome sentiment. If someone wants to buy it, even better! Sony's lawyer's arguments are basically based on protecting Sony from what an IDIOT may think, not protecting Sony from any kind of real threat (note: I understand DaGaffer's argument of making knock off Playstations, but really that would only work if they could get in PSN, which is both the power and flaw of anything Cloud-ish imo, but anyway a knock of playstation made on an assembly line in a factory is something completely different to a hand-made hipster fetish item no? Tbh making that this is actually screaming out a homage to Sony cult awesomeness. I just don't get the problem).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If it had just been a yellow walkman box without the logos, he'd have probably got away with it.

This topic has made me curious; there's an awful lot of "hand-made" stuff available on Etsy that uses trademarked imagery (lots of Star Wars, Trek, Doctor Who imagery knocking about on there). I wonder how much is actually licenced?

TdC

This topic has made me curious; there's an awful lot of "hand-made" stuff available on Etsy that uses trademarked imagery (lots of Star Wars, Trek, Doctor Who imagery knocking about on there). I wonder how much is actually licenced?

indeed. I was once asked to make a couple t-shirt designs. the fine print stated surprisingly clearly that we were to use nothing that was part of any corporate franchise domain, unless it had been released in to the public. Tbh I don't think for a moment that Disney nee Lucasarts would ever, ever, EVER release Star Wars, not to mention the other things you mentioned.

rynnor

Rockhound
indeed. I was once asked to make a couple t-shirt designs. the fine print stated surprisingly clearly that we were to use nothing that was part of any corporate franchise domain, unless it had been released in to the public. Tbh I don't think for a moment that Disney nee Lucasarts would ever, ever, EVER release Star Wars, not to mention the other things you mentioned.

The reality is that Trademark owners tend to turn a blind eye to non-commercial use (with a few exceptions) - its just not worth their costs and its terrible PR.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Exams.. 16 questions, known beforehand, four different courses, no notes in the exam room, draw two questions and start talking for 15 minutes. My notes are 50+ A4 printed pages. How am I supposed to remember all of this by heart? That and and added fear of exams :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Thanks, I appreciate your appreciation :)

Still, re the ongoing discussion: I understand this: say I build an USB pen drive in to a stick of wood (or spool of duct-tape, if you will): it's art. say I build an USB pen drive in to a lego brick: it's stealing from Lego. Ok, understood, on the grounds that a single lego brick is still in production today, and still has a potential use in general lego works. That walkman, no matter how many Sony labels are on it, is JUNK. It's worth exactly nothing. I applaud people who try to make something from junk. I think it's an awesome sentiment. If someone wants to buy it, even better! Sony's lawyer's arguments are basically based on protecting Sony from what an IDIOT may think, not protecting Sony from any kind of real threat (note: I understand DaGaffer's argument of making knock off Playstations, but really that would only work if they could get in PSN, which is both the power and flaw of anything Cloud-ish imo, but anyway a knock of playstation made on an assembly line in a factory is something completely different to a hand-made hipster fetish item no? Tbh making that this is actually screaming out a homage to Sony cult awesomeness. I just don't get the problem).

Actually Lego was a bad example (or actually a good example for me) because they've recently lost trademark protection on the brick shape itself. One of the reasons why was because they didn't try to trademark it until as recently as 1999 so it left plenty of time for others to steal the design. Classic example of failure to protect their marks.

As for Knock-off Playstations; there are plenty of knock-off iPhones coming out of China with Android guts and it would be a no-brainer to do the same with the PS3 to sell to the gullible (its probably already happening).

TdC

The reality is that Trademark owners tend to turn a blind eye to non-commercial use (with a few exceptions) - its just not worth their costs and its terrible PR.
this was commercial as hell, so I guess a no-no.

Actually Lego was a bad example (or actually a good example for me) because they've recently lost trademark protection on the brick shape itself. One of the reasons why was because they didn't try to trademark it until as recently as 1999 so it left plenty of time for others to steal the design. Classic example of failure to protect their marks.

As for Knock-off Playstations; there are plenty of knock-off iPhones coming out of China with Android guts and it would be a no-brainer to do the same with the PS3 to sell to the gullible (its probably already happening).
heh I didn't know that about Lego. Ofc imitation is the highest form of flattery...too bad the corporate lawyers don't agree. Wasn't there big news recently about a Mac-Store somewhere in China that wasn't a "real" Mac-Store? They had it down to the smallest detail iirc.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Exams.. 16 questions, known beforehand, four different courses, no notes in the exam room, draw two questions and start talking for 15 minutes. My notes are 50+ A4 printed pages. How am I supposed to remember all of this by heart? That and and added fear of exams :(
Nailed it! Fuck yeah!!

rynnor

Rockhound
let's build a castle Rynnor!!! :D

You could actually build a house :p

That stuff can support a great deal of weight - you'd have to use something like gothic arches to support the roof though - hmmm...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm sure you could get away with using proper lintels. And anyway, James May made a house of Lego so it's possible.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I get Dieux du Stade every year!

Yeah, I was thinking more tits than oily pecs

Although I have Kelly Brooks new one, and her fella obviously doesn't mind getting his cock out for the calendars either , it seems

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I think he poses with his brother too....not weird at all....hmmmmmmm

sayward

Resident Freddy
Mmmm. You watched many rugby games? They're like children. Lots of male bonding. This year's calendar has a female on it! Sacrilege. That's spelled wrong!

sayward

Resident Freddy
What's happened to the list of who's on line? How do I know I'm not talking to myself? I could be alone on the planet.......

TdC

you are. we're actually all bots that respond with random drivel.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You need some of the 2013 calendars i have on my wall, very beautiful shots

If its not Titties & Kitties you have to sit on the naughty step for 4 minutes

NSFW

mark-velasquez-kitties-and-titties-january2013.jpg

mark-velasquez-kitties-and-titties-september2013.jpg

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
People who think that just because it is -2c outside it needs to be 24c in the office.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It actually makes things worse. Same reason why in the winter i never put on extra(any) clothing inside, just so i'm nice warm when i step outside.

rynnor

Rockhound
It actually makes things worse. Same reason why in the winter i never put on extra(any) clothing inside, just so i'm nice warm when i step outside.

By acclimating to the cold your blood thickens which leads to increased chances of an embolism/stroke etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
By acclimating to the cold your blood thickens which leads to increased chances of an embolism/stroke etc.

Not true.

Blood flow to the extremities is reduced (to preserve body temperature) so blood pressure increases in your arteries (as less of it is in your extremities) but not incredibly. But the blood does not "thicken".

There's a lot of bullshit around on the net about red blood cells being pumped out in cold weather - which is also gash. Increased red blood cell count occurs at higher altitudes (as a reaction to the lower oxygen) - and it's colder at higher altitudes, hence the (incorrect) association. But red blood cell incease is a process that takes time - as per altitude training with athletes.

As for increased chance of embolism/stroke. That's possible IMO - if there's a higher blood pressure in the brain as a result of reduced carrying capacity then it's a simple connection...

rynnor

Rockhound
Not true.

Blood flow to the extremities is reduced (to preserve body temperature) so blood pressure increases in your arteries (as less of it is in your extremities) but not incredibly. But the blood does not "thicken".

There's a lot of bullshit around on the net about red blood cells being pumped out in cold weather - which is also gash. Increased red blood cell count occurs at higher altitudes (as a reaction to the lower oxygen) - and it's colder at higher altitudes, hence the (incorrect) association. But red blood cell incease is a process that takes time - as per altitude training with athletes.

As for increased chance of embolism/stroke. That's possible IMO - if there's a higher blood pressure in the brain as a result of reduced carrying capacity then it's a simple connection...

Interesting - you are probably right about the blood thickening. I read a paper about Cold Acclimation that the British Heart Association did and aside from the tightening of surface blood vessels while your actually exposed they found that acclimation to the cold increased the pressure in the vessels around the heart by 20% and also lead to enlarging of the heart as it tries to pump harder to compensate for the decreased flow rate through the effectively narrowed arteries - none of that is good tbh.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It truth you just get used to the cold, your body doesn't physically change much. Your blood certainly doesn't thicken as that would be pointless for heat conservation.

Dehydration in extreme cold/low humidity may make your blood thicker I suppose, but it's not the body trying to preserve heat, it is the body trying to preserve water. Drinking lots in extreme cold is as important as drinking lots in extreme heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom