Radeon 9800 Pro - Recommendations Needed

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I have finally put myself in the running for a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, for three reasons:

(a) I can afford it.
(b) My existing video card is too noisy.
(c) Battlefield: Vietnam only runs on "medium" on my existing Ti4200.

I'm going for the 9800 Pro as it seems to be the best "bang for buck" ratio in my price range, and I think will compliment my harmless little 2500+ Barton nicely.

So, now, I humble myself before the retail gods in the House of Fred, and ask for your recommendations on where and what I should be buying one.

:)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Got myself an Asus 9600XT and must say i am verry happy with it.
(and looks so cute with the memory coolers cut out to spell ASUS)
Tho some people will claim asus cards arent what they used to be since they are playing both sides off the field (nvidia and ati) these days

Clown

Part of the furniture
I too would like to be recommended a 9800 of some sort. I don't want to be spending stupid dollars, unlike some of my other recent purchases, but I want it to be decent for when I move it to my new PC that I might build next month. Yes, the one that Xavier and co. suggests it would be good to wait for ;)

For now though, do you know if any of them FIT in a Shuttle?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive got one, certainly the best card Ive ever had. You can pick one up for about £150 now too, which is good value.
I replaced a ti4400 with one by the way, so a similar boat :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
I was tempted to go for one of those mentioned in the BF1942 forums, mainly because it was noted that they were quiet. Shhh! I'm huntin' wabbits!

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
I was tempted to go for one of those mentioned in the BF1942 forums, mainly because it was noted that they were quiet. Shhh! I'm huntin' wabbits!
I was gonne get a 9800 pro but they sold out before i got there and i was in a spending mood :)

As for the noise the asus makes, dunno realy since my case has a few GlobalWin FOP38 fans in it (46 db )

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
xane said:
So, now, I humble myself before the retail gods in the House of Fred, and ask for your recommendations on where and what I should be buying one.

:)
who are they? :p

only place I can say is Ebuyer for the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb for a spinky price of £169.91 inc.vat (be quick, theres only 361 left in stock :eek6: )

im not certain but i think sapphire use the standard ATI design with samsung chips but i could be wrong...

Clown

Part of the furniture
I wouldn't buy from anyone if they were out of stock :)

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
I got mine on a replacement credit note from Ebuyer.

Shappire - 9800 pro 128meg. And yes it fits in my shuttle no problems. And is very quiet. (As in i can't hear it over the chipset or CPU fan).

Oh and it runs BF:V on full whack. 1600 x 1200, AA/AS etc etc yada yada.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Elsa 9800XT is 188 x 107 mm so check the dimensions of your shuttle

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
2? Dunno mate, sorry those were the only ones elsa listed

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Anyone know if the Creative 9800XT is noisy or not? I can a get a chunky discount off one of those but I'm not really interested if my PC ends up sounding like a helicopter taking off.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
If its enough of a chunky discount it would probably be worth it anyways seeing as they are £250+ even if you just sell it on. If not, chances are zalman or someone will have a replacement quieter cooling solution for it if not this artice is supposed to be quite good, if you dare:
http://www.nexushardware.com/articles/index.php?id=16

Clown

Part of the furniture
Is there much difference between the performance of different manufacturers 9800XT? I'm proper interested in getting a 300 quid type graphics card.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
Almost no difference at all in performance. You might get more reliable and effective cooling on the more expensive cards.

The really expensive XTs have 256MB on board. In any benchmark going at the moment, this makes no difference at all to anything. Nothing uses it at the moment. You might want one to future proof yourself a little more, but with AGP 8X, I shouldn't think you'd see much of a difference even when newer games are using all of the RAM.

So you could spend £400 on a "Super ultra wonder magic 9800XT (C)" with pointless free games and spangly packaging, or you can spend £150 on a pro, clock it up to XT speeds after spending a tenner on a decent cooler.

There are XTs available that cost around £250, now, if you really must have one :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've got a Crucial 9800 Pro, it's pretty much silent (can't hear it over the CPU fan anyway).

It's approx: 20 x 10 x 2 cm

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
My ATI 9800 Pro wasn't that quiet. You wouldn't hear it above a CPU fan I think, but it had a somewhat annoying whirr to it. At least it did till I took the fan off. :p

Clown

Part of the furniture
Seeing as the new nvidia chips are coming out soon, how much more drop in price do you think the 9800 Pros are going to take?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom