Quick question on XP repair installations

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Just a quickie really I couldn't remember if you boot to the XP disc and run a repair install, does it replace and repair XP or does it format the HD? I am fixing my friends laptop and she has loads of pic's of her kids and I don't want to accidently delete them (didn't back them up, dunno how many times I told her to)

Thanks in advance.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
It just resets everything back to default. Won't delete anything as such. It's not exactly a "clean" install. Use it so she can have a working environment to back up her work then format the HDD and install XP from scratch.

It's like doing a spring clean and sweeping all the dirt under the carpet. Everything looks like it did, but there's that big pile of dirt you have to deal with sooner or later and you might occasionally trip over it.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
It pretty much just replaces system files. Nothing wrong with doing a repair install instead of a fresh install if it fixes the problem.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Seems to have done the job, now the system is Working I am going to back up all her pics onto my external HD and wipe the system just to be on the safe side.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I did it and must have fucked something up as I lost all my game's etc from c:\program files\games\

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Bahumat

Maybe this is too late, but were the game files still in C:\Program Files\Games, they just didn't launch properly? If so, maybe repairing the XP installation just altered some of the game-related files placed elsewhere on your system.

In this case, try repairing the games themselves (go to 'Add/Remove Programs', and click the 'Change' option next to the game, and then choose the 'Repair' option once the setup program is running). Not all games have this option, it depends on the installer, but it essentially makes sure all the required files are correctly installed (just like repairing XP), but it won't wipe your saved games and settings.

Like I say, maybe it's too late now if you've already fixed it, but it might be worth a try if you're still stuck.

Kind regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom