Quick Laptop Question

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Whats better laptop processor wise, a Pentium 4M 3.06Ghz HT or a Centrino 1.6Ghz?

Oh and whats better out of gf fx go 5650 and raedon mobility 128mb

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
Whats better laptop processor wise, a Pentium 4M 3.06Ghz HT or a Centrino 1.6Ghz?
same thing, onlt the 3.06ghz is faster, i think...
well... thats what www.intel.com told me...

RandomBastard said:
Oh and whats better out of gf fx go 5650 and raedon mobility 128mb
don't know, but theres prolly not much in it...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello

The P4M 3.06Ghz would probably be the faster of the two chips in terms of raw performance (the 'M' denotes its mobility design, so it is different from a desktop P4 3.06Ghz chip). That said, the Centrino CPU shouldn't be considered slow - although it has a clock speed of 1.6Ghz, it's performance in comparison to P4Ms will likely rival mid-2Ghz chips (although that's only a guess, I'm afraid, so don't take it as gospel). Also consider that Centrino also denotes other useful features integrated into the system, most notably battery life (Centrino systems are designed to conserve power as much as possibile) and built-in 802.11b wireless access.

As for the graphics, what Radeon model number were you looking at? If it's the 9600, then last I checked it outperformed the 5600 Go by a significant amount in some tests. However, I haven't yet read about the 5650, so I can't give a definitive opinion.

No doubt others will fill in the gaps :)

Kind Regards

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
the intel site told me that the P4Ms where part of the Centrino range...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
wyrd_fish said:
the intel site told me that the P4Ms where part of the Centrino range...
Hello

The Intel product line-up is a little mixed, but I think there are basically three Pentium CPUs for portable computers like laptops. Pentium 4 (effectively desktop CPUs), Pentium 4-M (a mobile version of the Pentium 4) Pentium M (distinct from the P4Ms, and developed especially for use with Centrino technology). I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of it, though, so I may have the wrong end of the stick.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. There are also some systems which use Pentium III CPUs, Celeron CPUs etc.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
come again?!?!?

they must have been before my time

*mutter about old people...*

:D :D :D :D

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
From what i gather Jonty is right (Not much change there). The Centrino technology is a mobility focused standard incorporating Pentium 4-m.

Pentium 4 (Standard jobbos) in laptops are as far as im concerned a good waste of time. They have the same cooling requirments as on a desktop and also the same power consumption. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out on a laptop this is a big no no.

Pentium 4-M are the mobile equivilant of the P4. They are an awful lot less power hungry and give up alot less heat. These are the CPUs that the centrino tech is based around. It means battery power is greatly conserved and added the built in wireless connectivity. And last but not least, the actual laptops can be thinner and lighter with centrino.

However a common misconception is that the Centrino Laptops are clocked sometimes at much lower speeds, so they must not run as good as the P4 versions. Stop thinking desktops here. It's all about the battery life and mobility here. That and the fact a lower clocked Centrino can give a P4 a good run for it's heat filled money :)

Im sure there are a few holes small and gaping in the above so feel free to correct me :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, ok for starters, the Pentium 4m is not a part of centrino.

Centrino is a brand, which intel only award to systems using the Pentium-m processor (akin to a pentium3 with 1Mb cache), intel 855m chipset and intels own 802.11b wireless.

All three products are designed for performance AND battery life, whereas that Pentium-4m will eat a laptop battery alive!

It's a simple choice, if you want battery life get the Centrino with Pentium-m processor, if you want performance on a desk, then consider the Pentium 4 mobile, or maybe even a desknote pc.

Xav

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks guys.

All this was for my bro back home, hes decided to go for the p4m as he doesnt want wireless and intend to be using it on a desk 70% of the time, he just wants to be able to lug it to mates houses etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom